City matchday presenters sacked over podcast (P6)

But that's the thing - if you're not offended and I'm not offended and nobody in this thread is actually offended then who is offended? Are we defending the rights of a fictitious person not to be offended by ethnic humour?

That sounds a bit like blasphemy laws to me.
Is this a serious question? Because I'm pretty sure it would be mostly people of Asian heritage who would be offended by the gross Asian stereotyping these guys were doing.

Is this a serious question? Because I'm pretty sure it would be mostly Asian people who would be offended by the gross Asian stereotyping these guys were doing.

Do you have an example of an Asian person offended by a crap Chinese accent? Like an actual person with a body and a face and stuff

What amuses me (but only a little) is the highly selective hierarchy of who can and can’t be lampooned.

Why isn’t our forum cleansed of vile, stereotypical insults aimed at our Liverpudlian and Stretfordian brothers? Or fat bastards? Or gingers? Or Welsh people?

The line is getting so wavy as to be arbitrary.

I don't know if it is offensive to the Chinese as I am white British. However, when you work for a large organisation whose reputation is important and who does a lot of work in the community (last I heard, Manchester has the second highest Chinese population in the UK behind Barnet), especially in the area of social inclusivity, you have to be that bit more careful about what you say. It was therefore a stupid decision to publish the pod.

Do we have said offensive material

tenor.gif

....but Mah Mah Ling is Chinese not Japanese.
That doesn't really prove or disprove my point, though. As a character Mah Mah Ling is culturally insensitive (the fact that she's a Chinese character voiced by a Japanese-American actress arguably makes it worse) and a product of the time she was created in, when people cared less about these sorts of things. We're no longer in that time, though, and we haven't been since about 4/5 years ago when people not only started paying closer attention to diversity casting, racial authenticity, and minority representation in media, but when they started being able to let creators know how they felt. I imagine Seth MacFarlane was pressured to drop the character behind the scenes. That's why Mah Mah has been in precisely one episode since 2013 (which was aired in 2016) and probably won't appear again.

Now please read the rest of my post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.