City matchday presenters sacked over podcast (P6)

Me too but I don't feel the need to tell people what they should or shouldn't find funny.

I never did. I said it was shite and I can't believe others find it crap. Didn't say they weren't allowed to did I?

Never heard of these guys nor have I watched the podcast in question but if they just mimic accents I’d give em a pass. If a foreign comic mimicked the old fashioned English cut glass accent I wouldn’t find it offensive although undoubtedly some fucking snowflake somewhere would.

Me and my mates often say phrases with a ridiculous American accent applied, are we being racist ?
In this pathetic world we now live in, probably yes mate.

Do you have an example of an Asian person offended by a crap Chinese accent? Like an actual person with a body and a face and stuff
You know, I don't have much of an accent myself so I haven't tried out my racist stereotype routine on my friends, but next time I'll give it a shot and get back to you.

You know, I don't have much of an accent myself so I haven't tried out my racist stereotype routine on my friends, but next time I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Half my family is Chinese as are all of their friends. They literally couldn't care less about this sort of stuff, in my experience.

But have a go. And don't forget the false teeth and the flappy vest

giphy.gif

But that's the thing - if you're not offended and I'm not offended and nobody in this thread is actually offended then who is offended? Are we defending the rights of a fictitious person not to be offended by ethnic humour?

That sounds a bit like blasphemy laws to me.

Well for one, i'm not Chinese, nor is anyone else in this thread most likely, so it doesn't really affect me. I've not asked any Chinese people, but I'd guess some wouldn't like the dated Chinese impressions mocking them. It's a fair presumption. City probably don't want to take that risk given their Chinese connections. I did however see some City fans I know who are genuinely annoyed by their 'lol gay' humour, and understandably so. It affects them personally. I can only imagine people using humour along the lines of that is particularly annoying, especially when it comes from people hired by the club.

I'm all for free speech and bad jokes. Genuinely. I fully prescribe with Gervais' view on this, but I also believe that free speech doesn't come with impunity just because it was a joke. Gervais said this himself too. People have a right to make jokes about anything, and others have a right to give them shit for it. If City want to sack someone for making jokes around Spanish, Chinese stereotypes, then that's their personal prerogative. I'd not sack someone for it without a warning, but given the club's stance on some things, well it was inevitable. It's fucking stupid of them to not foresee this so I can't really feel sorry for them. It's genuinely thick stuff.

Stupidity isn’t an excuse for ignorance, bigotry or racial stereotyping.

People wouldn’t dare imitate a shite Chinese accent to a person of that country’s origin, so why is it acceptable to broadcast to the world on a podcast? The obvious connections city have with the Chinese and Spanish just adds to their idiocy.

Bullshit mate. I’ve spent months in Asia, people from other countries all always imitating Asians, they actually find it funny. My mates Mrs is Thai, she’s always trying to imitate an English person, is it offensive? Only to soft twats who think it is.

But would you take offence if someone mimicked your accent?. Just the PC snowflake generation, the ones who are offended by everything getting their way again.
It isn't for you or me to say what other races find offensive. If people of other races find it offensive and tell us they do, then it's for them to say, as a white British person that has never been racially abused it's not for me to say what is and what isn't racism. Is P.C snowflake just another word for common good manners or respecting others.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.