Facebook crack down on fake news campaign targeting City

The inconsistency that infuriates me most about the way we are treated by some in the media and rival fans is that they tell us it’s wrong for MCFC to receive investment/income from the UAE but somehow not perceived as an issue elsewhere. Regardless of whether City is owned by a state or not those that attack City fans because we support a team with those connections seem to say that other clubs or Footballing organisations are not an issue. The following is a simplistic view but it’s overlooked by others: Arsenal have been receiving transformational income from the UAE for longer than City has via Emirates (an airline like Etihad from the UAE established & managed in a similar way). Similarly, the FA - and therefore every club that enters the FA Cup - receives significant sponsorship from that company. When people (like Piers Morgan who told City fans to boycott our club because of the UAE investment) are challenged on why it’s okay for AFC or the FA but not MCFC they often go quiet, fail to see the issue or say ‘ah, but we don’t receive as much’, proving it’s nothing to do with a state investing, human rights or any thing else... it’s about one club getting something and others not. I know that’s simplistic but if the people who continually challenged MCFC fans about their support did the same to fans of Arsenal AND every club that willingly enters the FA Cup knowing where the sponsorship comes from then that’s fine. Until then it looks like a football club’s fan base is being targeted. Some will say ‘but that’s only sponsorship... well sponsors are using clubs/competitions to sell products/lifestyle etc. so why is that any different from the idea of sportswashing? Sponsors can make sports and clubs change direction, change policies, buy players etc.

Football clubs have choices. They can reject sponsorship deals and investment; they can pull out of tournaments. If they don’t and they receive income from the same places MCFC does then neither they, nor their fans, nor the media, can criticise City on ethical grounds without criticising the others.

Absolutely. The hypocrisy is off the scale. The fact that City earn more from the gulf states is immaterial. If I'm a member of criminal gang of 20 who rob a bank. I may only receive a small reward for a minor role in the robbery compared to the main players but morally I'm just as guilty for receiving the cash.
Besides when Morgan tells City fans to boycott our club because of UAE links does he not call out his own club when they put money into the economy of these human rights abuse hellholes when they go for warm weather training in Dubai?

All the usual suspect cvnt journos who bore us with their human rights shite were quite happy to feast on Russian hospitality at the last World Cup, a country where honest journalism often meets with a grisly death.

The vast majority of English sports journos are absolute fucking hypocrites and city should flag up their inconsistent views whenever we can

Absolutely. The hypocrisy is off the scale. The fact that City earn more from the gulf states is immaterial. If I'm a member of criminal gang of 20 who rob a bank. I may only receive a small reward for a minor role in the robbery compared to the main players but morally I'm just as guilty for receiving the cash.
Besides when Morgan tells City fans to boycott our club because of UAE links does he not call out his own club when they put money into the economy of these human rights abuse hellholes when they go for warm weather training in Dubai?

Arsenal also wear a 'Visit Rwanda' logo on their shirts in a £30 million sponsorship deal. That's right, the same Rwanda which is a dictatorship where bent elections have been described by human rights organisations as "marked by increasing political repression and crackdown on free speech." The current president has wangled it so that he can stay in power until 2034. Yay, let's all visit Rwanda.

Cheers pal, I do indeed remember it. It was an early kick off and coincided with a works party the night before. Never has queueing up, outside a pub, waiting for a pint of lager been less appetising.

I think my chances of changing perceptions are pretty slim because ultimately a lot of the press we do receive is poor, and so posters, including myself, are quite right to be peeved off about it and I myself have noticed a ramping up of negativity these last 2 years.

The main difference is the motivations for posting it and the possible collusion involved where my views differ.

Interesting point in your last paragraph. With social media and the like undoubtedly journos or influencers, seeking followers/likes would follow trends and how the wind blows to maximise their popularity and exposure as its beneficial to their own profile. Similar to click bait in papers, but the difference being its 24/7 and anyone can express a view on this platform.

Don't bother microwaving the popcorn though, as I will be heading out shortly.

Thanks mate. I got in the prawn crackers and the 30p Aldi milk chocolate bar. I’ve demolished those watching the rerun of England vs Cameroon from Italia 90. It’s in extra time and I’m banking on us finding the winner!

Thanks mate. I got in the prawn crackers and the 30p Aldi milk chocolate bar. I’ve demolished those watching the rerun of England vs Cameroon from Italia 90. It’s in extra time and I’m banking on us finding the winner!

It could happen, but I predict heartbreak in the next match

You show me what our owner has to do with human rights abuses,you sound brainwashed by the media

He is a member of a government that’s human rights issues are well document and we both know what they are but I wouldn’t feel comfortable getting into exact specifics as a non expert

Another one! Mansour is not a member of the government.

Look at his Wikipedia page Deputy Prime Minister Minister of Presidential Affairs and member of the Royal Family in what way is that not a member of the government ? Are you an expert ?

Look at his Wikipedia page Deputy Prime Minister Minister of Presidential Affairs and member of the Royal Family in what way is that not a member of the government ? Are you an expert ?

You have answered several posters but I notice you have not answered my post.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.