Raheem Sterling | Joins Chelsea for £50m

Status
Not open for further replies.
He leaves (if indeed it comes to pass) a City legend, in my opinion. When judging a players legacy you balance expectation with results; had we signed Messi in 2015 and he delivered the numbers Raz has, then Messi would be leaving an uninspired failure. But that's only because Messi is the finest player to have ever played the sport.

When we signed Sterling, my expectation was a 10-15 goal a season player, a player who would flit between the fringes and regular action. Balancing those expectations with what he has delivered, Raz has been an irrefutable success. He's averaged 18 goals a season since arriving here, smashing 20+ on three occasions and the hallowed 30+ on one occasion. His application and commitment has never been found wanting, his attitude off the field (unless some unsavoury incidents elude my memory) has been exemplary, and Pep only ever speaks in glowing terms about him.

We know he has limitations to his game. That much is self-evident at this stage, and unfortunately those are limitations that aren't ever going to be addressed in a 28-year old forward. That's the deal we got with Raz; a player whom instinctually is one of the best we will ever have but sadly lacked the requisite composure when given time to think.

Personally, after seven years, I can safely say it was a deal worth taking. We took a little rough with plenty of smooth. His medal haul and the excellent character references he will get from his teammates and Pep will be attestation enough that he leaves a success and a legend.

If he does indeed go to Chelsea, I sincerely hope he smashes it; except of course when they play us. Seeing him creep slowly but surely up the Prem all-time scorer chart will make me a happy man.

All the best Raz, I've loved every minute. And unlike some fanbases, when you return here it will be to warmth and open arms.

Out of curiosity, who is the replacement for Raheem if he really leaves? It seems to me we always replace player fr player.

Merlin was phased out for Foden to come in
Sane was replaced by Ferran which in turn was recycled for Grealish
Halland belatedly and finally came in for Aguero
Alvarez is in fore Jesus (I am still dreading how this is going to turn out)
Phillips in for Fernandinho
But who is coming to take Raheem's place? I just hope the answer is not Palmer.

Out of curiosity, who is the replacement for Raheem if he really leaves? It seems to me we always replace player fr player.

Merlin was phased out for Foden to come in
Sane was replaced by Ferran which in turn was recycled for Grealish
Halland belatedly and finally came in for Aguero
Alvarez is in fore Jesus (I am still dreading how this is going to turn out)
Phillips in for Fernandinho
But who is coming to take Raheem's place? I just hope the answer is not Palmer.
I think we are stacked in that position mate we paid £75 billion (if you belive the media) for Grealish who plays mostly on the left which releases Foden for wide right. We have Palmer and Mahrez, that's more than enough IMO.

Kalvin Phillips will no doubt be the new pet hate of the boo merchants, even if Raz stays. There's always 10% of any fan base that insist on a whipping boy and actively look out for one. Ederson came in for a bit of that nonsense too last season.
I remember back in 1973 big Joe Corrigan got dogs abuse from the Maine Road crowd. Even as a 8 year old I thought that it wasn't very fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.