£3.69 an hour

SWP's back said:
Josh Blue said:
SWP's back said:
Is he training?

Yeah he has a two day placement doing car mechanics?
Then he is getting paid to train. He is learning skills that will earn him money unlike his peers doing history/media studies A level.

my mate left school at 16 (unheard of at my school) to join the merchant navy as an apprentice. He now earns 3 times my last wage and pays zero tax. But he was on peanuts for the first 4 or 5 years. But he was gaining skills that would benefit him later.

Yeah that's all well in good but he should be paid the same as everyone else. His future is nothing to do with it, it's a disgrace.

Josh Blue said:
SWP's back said:
Josh Blue said:
Then he is getting paid to train. He is learning skills that will earn him money unlike his peers doing history/media studies A level.

my mate left school at 16 (unheard of at my school) to join the merchant navy as an apprentice. He now earns 3 times my last wage and pays zero tax. But he was on peanuts for the first 4 or 5 years. But he was gaining skills that would benefit him later.

Yeah that's all well in good but he should be paid the same as everyone else. His future is nothing to do with it, it's a disgrace.
Not if he is training and they have already trained.

SWP's back said:
Josh Blue said:
SWP's back said:
Is he training?

But obscure art study can help us all and should be funded

SWP's back said:
Josh Blue said:
SWP's back said:

No he is fully trained in the job he is working now, he is just training outside of work for a different field of work.

Left school and worked for £6.50 an hour. I'm 20 now doing a 40 hour per week apprenticeship at £2.65 per hour. It will benefit me in the long run but i'm doing shit loads for £100 per week. £70 on trams per month into town, still live with parents but pay keep, City takes every penny left over! Haha

Josh Blue said:
SWP's back said:
Josh Blue said:

No he is fully trained in the job he is working now, he is just training outside of work for a different field of work.
Then it's a little off yeah. I thought it an apprentiship.

SWP's back said:
Josh Blue said:
SWP's back said:

Then it's a little off yeah. I thought it an apprentiship.

No mate very low end work in a stock room and warehouse with a bit of front of house.

I'm 22 now, but when I was 16 I had a part-time job 20 hours a week at my local newsagent which paid me £3 an hour.

It was all extra though, because I still lived at home. I managed to save up 4 months wages and bought a PS3.

Couldn't imagine living on that kind of wage independently though. Surely it's not even possible.

Ash said:
Left school and worked for £6.50 an hour. I'm 20 now doing a 40 hour per week apprenticeship at £2.65 per hour. It will benefit me in the long run but i'm doing shit loads for £100 per week. £70 on trams per month into town, still live with parents but pay keep, City takes every penny left over! Haha

What are you doing an apprenticeship in?

Josh Blue said:
kp789 said:
I used to Earn 1.20ish per hour less than my colleagues when I was 17 on the basis of my age, in fact I did a fucking lot more than some of the lazy sods that I worked with. Pay should be based on contribution and ability, not on age.

Feel really bad for the lad, works harder than most and has a good attitude no reason why he should get paid less than everyone else, I can't see any reason why pay is age based???
How old are you? When I turned 18 I got my wage up to 6.08 an hour but there was new staff taken on, younger than me, again who were paid less. Felt sorry for them as they did a good job too. Its ridiculous, it is ageist. I mean after the whole gender debate of pay, how is age different?<br /><br />-- Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:04 am --<br /><br />
SWP's back said:
Josh Blue said:
SWP's back said:

I agree with the sentiment about training and getting paid a minimal amount as to be fair you are receiving skills, what I do draw the line at and what Josh is trying to get at is why should people all doing the same training get differing wages just on age if they are on the same training scheme? That isnt right.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.