£56 for home games

Why the big fuss now - match day tkts have hardly increased in price for two years at least - didn't stop us selling out most home league last year - won't this year either unless we see a slump in performances of massive proportions.

There needs to be some sort of sticky or some sort of amendment to the title of this thread to educate the significant amount of blues that still, like some sort of masochist, constantly spout the following completely false 'reasons' for these prices.

All the following are completely false, yet count how many times, on this thread alone, they are offered as an excuse:

1) "Prices like this are inevitable as a consequence of FFP/It is Platini's fault"

The prices of normal tickets and season tickets are so insignificant compared to the transfer fees and wages that City is working with that they barely make a dint.

2) "You have to expect this if you want players like Silva/Aguero, etc"

See above

3) "Would you rather pay £30 in Division 2 or £50 and be champions"

So far removed from the attitude of an actual fan of the club, as opposed to a fan of the glamour of winning, that it is staggering. You have to wonder whether these people actually realise that the subtext of what they are saying is that they would be likely to desert the club if they returned to the bad old days as they see their support as subject to some sort of cost-benefit study (in a much different manner than the calculations that those who are being priced out undertake).

4) "Just make some sacrifices"

As glib and as ridiculous in its suggestion as it is offensive in its lack of appreciation of the variety of others circumstances. The crux of the matter summed up by Dubai Blue around circa page 27/28 of this thread.

5) "The club has to increase revenues in order to get it to a point where it will be break even"

Again, for the reasons stated in point 1, the future profitability of this club/the owner's investment, will have absolutely nothing to do with the price of tickets for 'normal' fans.

All of these 'excuses' have been, and continue to be gleefully offered by some blues over the last few years and, in some respects, those attitudes somewhat contribute to matters like this.

Every blue has a duty to challenge anyone who claims any of the above every time they hear them. Not because someone has a difference of opinion, but because they are just totally false and untrue. Particularly those regarding FFP, revenue, profits and the price of success. Each one of those excuses is based either on a complete inability to understand the figures involved.

I was waiting for your input JMA as soon as I saw people trying to defend it with the same spurious reasons that constantly annoy you.

Out of interest, why the name change and new account?

AD4 said:
So jma what is the reason?

A purely cynical decision by someone at the club/the club as a whole to show how good at business they can be. Make no mistake, at least one person at the club, probably more, will see their stock rise considerably if they can show that revenues from 'normal' tickets have risen by a big percentage over, say, a five year period.

Even though, in the larger scheme of things, it is totally irrelevant to the club's operations and success.

My worry though is that it is not the decision of a tiny amount of people who have a personal/career reason to show that they can increase the amount squeezed out of fans and that such an attitude/ethos might have come from the very top. Which, if is the case, means that it is here to stay. It is also very sad when you compare it to the rhetoric from the owners re the fans when they arrived.

But, regardless of where it has come from it is just an exercise in increasing certain figures on balance sheets and percentages elsewhere. Purely because they can do so and purely because that is what is seen as 'good business'.

Very sheep like and a real shame that the attitude reflects that we, those who kept the club going, are seen as nothing more than commodities to be exploited, despite what anyone says.

-- Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:31 am --

Dubai Blue said:
I was waiting for your input JMA as soon as I saw people trying to defend it with the same spurious reasons that constantly annoy you.

Out of interest, why the name change and new account?

Decided not to post any more and changed my password to something I can't remember. A particular thread tempted me back and this is obviously a bit of a hard one to not comment on.

Don't intend to stick around though.

Dubai Blue said:
LoveCity said:
Not to be a twat but how many people who complain have expensive phone contracts, like to drink a lot, smoke, drive to places where they can walk, and so on? These are not all essentials in life. I've found that with a little thought and effort I can afford my season ticket and travel costs comfortably while earning very modest money. Of course it's a lot different if you have kids which I don't as they eat through your money but my point is I think there are always luxuries that can be cut down on if you really want to watch City. I don't drink, smoke, buy DVDs/CDs, and walk or use the bus, and am comfortable even in this economy.
With all due respect, I just can't agree with any of this. People shouldn't have to sacrifice the rest of their non-essentials just to squeeze in 90 minutes of football every few weeks. The fact that you honestly believe people should ditch their cars, give up drinking and smoking, stop buying 'luxuries' like music, and presumably stop going on holiday just so they can afford to see City shows how messed up football's priorities have become.

With all due respect to you mate, i think it shows how messed up some people are in general. There are all sorts of ways to cut your cloth accordingly. Some on here have HAD to do that due to being laid off. Some young uns pay £50 - £100 a week insurance on a car. Necessary? Sometimes. They can spend £40 a month on all singing all dancing phones. Necessary? Doubt it. 20 fags a day is over £40 a week (or £80 per home match). Necessary? Try patches.
I used to spend roughly £100 going to watch City with the cost of transport, beer, betting, grub. I don't get a taxi anymore, have cut down my betting and have something to scran before leaving home.
I don't buy a programme these days either.
Having to sacrifice their non essentials? FFS mate, that's called living in the real world and most of us did that when we had a mortgage or had kids.
The ground will still be full this season except for the odd season ticket holders who choose not to pass on their tickets to fellow blues.
Bring on the champions.

jma said:
AD4 said:
So jma what is the reason?

A purely cynical decision by someone at the club/the club as a whole to show how good at business they can be. Make no mistake, at least one person at the club, probably more, will see their stock rise considerably if they can show that revenues from 'normal' tickets have risen by a big percentage over, say, a five year period.

Even though, in the larger scheme of things, it is totally irrelevant to the club's operations and success.

My worry though is that it is not the decision of a tiny amount of people who have a personal/career reason to show that they can increase the amount squeezed out of fans and that such an attitude/ethos might have come from the very top. Which, if is the case, means that it is here to stay. It is also very sad when you compare it to the rhetoric from the owners re the fans when they arrived.

But, regardless of where it has come from it is just an exercise in increasing certain figures on balance sheets and percentages elsewhere. Purely because they can do so and purely because that is what is seen as 'good business'.

Very sheep like and a real shame that the attitude reflects that we, those who kept the club going, are seen as nothing more than commodities to be exploited, despite what anyone says.
It's certainly a concern because, as you say, if this is part of a wider all-encompassing strategy then everyone will begin to feel its effects eventually, including all the 'I'm alright Jack' brigade.

The other defence that annoys me is when people say "it's simple supply and demand", as though City are legally bound to ramp up their prices every time another 100 'customers' show an interest in purchasing their 'product'. City aren't a publicly listed company with a duty to maximising their revenues for the sake of their shareholders. If the club deems £35 to be a reasonable charge for a ticket then it can charge that price regardless of the amount of people that want to buy it. Nothing can stop them doing that, including the laws of supply and demand.

CheethamHillBlue said:
Dubai Blue said:
LoveCity said:
Not to be a twat but how many people who complain have expensive phone contracts, like to drink a lot, smoke, drive to places where they can walk, and so on? These are not all essentials in life. I've found that with a little thought and effort I can afford my season ticket and travel costs comfortably while earning very modest money. Of course it's a lot different if you have kids which I don't as they eat through your money but my point is I think there are always luxuries that can be cut down on if you really want to watch City. I don't drink, smoke, buy DVDs/CDs, and walk or use the bus, and am comfortable even in this economy.
With all due respect, I just can't agree with any of this. People shouldn't have to sacrifice the rest of their non-essentials just to squeeze in 90 minutes of football every few weeks. The fact that you honestly believe people should ditch their cars, give up drinking and smoking, stop buying 'luxuries' like music, and presumably stop going on holiday just so they can afford to see City shows how messed up football's priorities have become.

With all due respect to you mate, i think it shows how messed up some people are in general. There are all sorts of ways to cut your cloth accordingly. Some on here have HAD to do that due to being laid off. Some young uns pay £50 - £100 a week insurance on a car. Necessary? Sometimes. They can spend £40 a month on all singing all dancing phones. Necessary? Doubt it. 20 fags a day is over £40 a week (or £80 per home match). Necessary? Try patches.
I used to spend roughly £100 going to watch City with the cost of transport, beer, betting, grub. I don't get a taxi anymore, have cut down my betting and have something to scran before leaving home.
I don't buy a programme these days either.
Having to sacrifice their non essentials? FFS mate, that's called living in the real world and most of us did that when we had a mortgage or had kids.
The ground will still be full this season except for the odd season ticket holders who choose not to pass on their tickets to fellow blues.
Bring on the champions.

But football isnt as important to some people as it is to others. It is just one of a number of things that people do to entertain themselves.

I chose not to go to the Liverpool home game last year because it was Monday night, it was pissing down and I finished work a bit late. To be honest I could have made it but just couldnt be bothered. I didnt enjoy our win any less by sitting watching it on TV with a beer in my hand. Football is just one of many things going on in my life and whilst I enjoy it there does come a point where cost plays a part. If I didnt have a season ticket I would never pay £50 to go to a Monday night game that I have to plan 6 weeks in advance. If it becomes £50 for CL games then I wont be going. I can afford it but would just choose not to pay it.

These prices will definately attract a new type of fan who spend money in the shop and see it as a day out. The cameras will be flashing just like they do at the swamp.

Amazing how many people complain about ticket prices to watch one of the top clubs in the world but think nothing of paying hundreds of pounds a year to watch football on SKY TV. For less than the price of a SKY TV sports package you could have a season ticket at the Etihad. not a criticism of anyone merely an observation.

CheethamHillBlue said:
I don't think you understood the point I was trying to make. Of course people have to sacrifice non-essentials for things like paying the mortgage and keeping the kids clothed and fed; trust me, I fully understand that's what real life is all about, which is why I covered it in the final sentence of my post.

But football isn't your mortgage or your kids' clothes, and it shouldn't be necessary for people to cut down on absolutely everything else in order to afford it. The fact that people are advocating such an approach shows just how far detached football has become from what it actually is and from what made it so popular in the first place.

Personally, I think going to watch football on a match-by-match basis in England is now scandalously overpriced; you obviously feel different and you're perfectly entitled to that view.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.