10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's impressive, but a lot of former (great) players spout a lot of shit when commenting on football, e.g., Paul Merson and Stan Collymore. I rarely learn anything interesting while listening to Shearer or Neville. Most of their comments are dull, sometimes even stupid. I'm not implying anything about you, some of your comments are really interesting to me. What I'm saying is that playing a lot of football, even at top level, doesn't guarantee one has a deep understanding of football.

What's your opinion of Grealish?
I completely agree. I’ve given you some pedigree, and I’ve written plenty on other players. Have a read, see what you think.

Feel free to disagree with anything I have to say about anyone, but use some knowledge, not spouting Fantasy Football stats!

Lastly, I’m disappointed to be discussed in the same breath as “thick as pug shit” numpties like Merson and Collymore. They’ve stolen a living for years and have both disqualified themselves (multiple times) from even being in the conversation on actual football analysis.

That's impressive, but a lot of former (great) players spout a lot of shit when commenting on football, e.g., Paul Merson and Stan Collymore. I rarely learn anything interesting while listening to Shearer or Neville. Most of their comments are dull, sometimes even stupid. I'm not implying anything about you, some of your comments are really interesting to me. What I'm saying is that playing a lot of football, even at top level, doesn't guarantee one has a deep understanding of football.

What's your opinion of Grealish?
I believe my impression of his performances to date are what caused the hissy fit!

Find them filed in the “Could do better” cabinet in the “Ineffectually one dimensional so far” folder.

Last edited:
I zoned out when you said Bobby Charlton.

I got hungry when you said Freddie Pye.

Something Something Something Don Corleone.

I'm not impressed by this ex-pro nonsense. Most I've met don't really have a clue about the game, indeed many aren't that interested and prefer to talk about something else.

TV pundits are living proof that old pros can blag their way through life.

I think you're the ghost of George Best and I claim my £5.
I wish, and I’d gladly pay you the fiver to have lived his life!

As for the rest, I’ve put my football bonafides out there. While my education and careers only add to the overall picture, I’m hoping I not only don’t have to go there, but shouldn’t need to justify anything on here.

If one doesn’t agree with things I say, no worries. The world needs all viewpoints…even uninformed idiocy. It’s what helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

Im happy to lay my thoughts out there and usually enjoy most other posts.

Back on topic, and views on Grealish’s performance in Bruges, after resting him this past weekend?

I think at the moment he's falling into the Mahrez, Cancelo, Rodri etc... bracket of not doing anything wrong but taking time to really feel like he's up to speed with what we want from him. All those 3 above took a season really before we saw the best of them in a City shirt and it wouldn't surprise me if its the same with Jack.

As people have said, playing for us every 3/4 days constantly at the level we play at is different to what he is used to at Villa. Plus if the club having to help make adjustments off the field in terms of lifestyle, diet, when to eat etc... then it will take time for everything to come together.

In the mean time if he keeps working hard and showing the ability he has, using that dribbling at the right moments (sometimes keeping the ball is better than trying to beat a man and losing it) he'll be doing just fine and i've no doubt he'll take that step up

What do you mean? Not sure if I've misunderstood what you're getting at but it's definitely going to be a shock for him coming from Villa to us. Not only is he going to be expected to play way more games but I'd imagine the average distances Pep expects our players to cover per game will be greater than what has been asked of him previously.

Then take into account that Bernardo Silva more often than not didn't last past the 60 minute mark for Monaco before being substituted and there were question marks over whether his fitness levels would be up to scratch because of that. The guy has been living off brews and Duracells since that initial bedding in period.

He's not exactly out of shape right now but I'd expect his fitness to go up a few levels once he's had that same time to adjust.
My point is simply that there us no reason why all players should not be at the same level of fitness regardless of who they play for given the degree of professionalism inherent in all PL clubs. Now some players have a bigger engine than others and regardless of conditioning will appear to be fitter than others. I would expect if there is something remarkable about our fitness and training regime it would be copied very quickly by others. I would expect Grealish to improve as he gets use to a lot of things in addition to enhanced fitness levels.

He is trying too hard to 'be the man' for City. He really doesn't need to do that, he simply needs to fit himself into our well oiled machine. Too selfish, holds onto the ball too long and is not yet seeing the balls he should be playing. It will come if he just settles down and listens to Pep and his teammates.

I wish, and I’d gladly pay you the fiver to have lived his life!

As for the rest, I’ve put my football bonafides out there. While my education and careers only add to the overall picture, I’m hoping I not only don’t have to go there, but shouldn’t need to justify anything on here.

If one doesn’t agree with things I say, no worries. The world needs all viewpoints…even uninformed idiocy. It’s what helps separate the wheat from the chaff.

Im happy to lay my thoughts out there and usually enjoy most other posts.

Back on topic, and views on Grealish’s performance in Bruges, after resting him this past weekend?
He worked hard, but was largely anonymous. His overall fitness level / workrate looks about 20% below the rest of the team.

He's not a £100m player by a long chalk, but he didn't set the fee. He'll be a very good squad player when he settles in, but I don't expect him to touch Sane, Silva, Toure type levels.

I didn't see these quotes posted but in the build up on the radio the had Pep talking about how big an adjustment it is for Grealish to play every 3 days, which he's never done before. They have had to sit down and teach him about his food, when he eats, his recovery, focusing 100% of your day around football and emphasising that you can't have days off.

It reminded me of Stephen Warnock once saying that people don't realise top 4 players are just different athletes to a normal PL player and he spoke about when you go man to man they're just so much leaner and stronger.

These are things people just don't think about when they see a player like Grealish move for £100m. It's going to take him 6 months at least to get to his best.
I also think it’s because within weeks of joining we saw Grealish out on the lash several times, even on stage with Stormzy at Leeds. Not seen much since…

Think he had a polite request to be more professional and as you say, to dedicate the next decade to football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.