10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "pre-assist" player that was most definitely David Silva beats Jack Grealish on everyone of those metrics on a p90 basis - build-up, possession chain, even shots and goals. Silva was an 8.

I don't think it is a strong argument to hide behind the pre, pre assist but I will have a look behind the figures to see if tehre is a case.

As an aside, Grealish has big numbers for Key Passes but his end product with them is poor i.e the quality of goal scoring opportunity as a result of the key pass isn't high.

I looked at Big Chances in the tight games for 0-1 Spurs, 1-0 Leicester, 0-0 Saints 1-0 Chelsea, 0-2 PSG and 2-2 Liverpool. We created in total 15 Opta big chances in those games so you would expect to see Jack in there as one of the main creators. He wasn't and in fact I was very, very surprised he didn't directly create 1 of them.

I'm not criticising him here, I think he will be great when he is fully adapted and Pep has worked his magic. Far too soon at the moment. But so far it is also accurate to say his end product is not great. If he is playing in a front 3 it has to improve.
Yeah, I was only looking him in the Villa side against this season with us tbh. I think he's been decent, finding his feet. I think he'll grow into taking things himself as his confidence grows and learning when and where he can try something and not lose the ball without Pep going crackers.

All the players were 'safety' first when we moved to the F9 system, i think he's still in that window for now the rest around him are all settled in it.

Yeah, I was only looking him in the Villa side against this season with us tbh. I think he's been decent, finding his feet. I think he'll grow into taking things himself as his confidence grows and learning when and where he can try something and not lose the ball without Pep going crackers.

All the players were 'safety' first when we moved to the F9 system, i think he's still in that window for now the rest around him are all settled in it.

Totally agree with the "safety first" F9. We've actually shifted from last season's "control" to "ultra control".
I was looking at his p90 numbers for his last 2 seasons at Villa comapred to this and it all dials into "safety first":

Dribbling less
Shooting less
Passing more (with big drop off in long balls)
Pressing more
Passes under pressure more
Passing completion higher
Key Passes less

I could go on but you get the picture :)

Totally agree with the "safety first" F9. We've actually shifted from last season's "control" to "ultra control".
I was looking at his p90 numbers for his last 2 seasons at Villa comapred to this and it all dials into "safety first":

Dribbling less
Shooting less
Passing more (with big drop off in long balls)
Pressing more
Passes under pressure more
Passing completion higher
Key Passes less

I could go on but you get the picture :)
He's keeping it simple. I'll assume the risks will come later.

The "pre-assist" player that was most definitely David Silva beats Jack Grealish on everyone of those metrics on a p90 basis - build-up, possession chain, even shots and goals. Silva was an 8.

I don't think it is a strong argument to hide behind the pre, pre assist but I will have a look behind the figures to see if tehre is a case.

As an aside, Grealish has big numbers for Key Passes but his end product with them is poor i.e the quality of goal scoring opportunity as a result of the key pass isn't high.

I looked at Big Chances in the tight games for 0-1 Spurs, 1-0 Leicester, 0-0 Saints 1-0 Chelsea, 0-2 PSG and 2-2 Liverpool. We created in total 15 Opta big chances in those games so you would expect to see Jack in there as one of the main creators. He wasn't and in fact I was very, very surprised he didn't directly create 1 of them.

I'm not criticising him here, I think he will be great when he is fully adapted and Pep has worked his magic. Far too soon at the moment. But so far it is also accurate to say his end product is not great. If he is playing in a front 3 it has to improve.
simple he should not plaing on the wing against big teams. he should be in the mid or on the bench or false 9 and Foden on the wing. against weaker teams we can put him on the wing when he can get more touches. the thing is you are speaking as if its all Jack's fault things are not better. it is also the fault of the team not playing to his strengths and pep not using him in the correct positions even pep conceded as much in one of his match quotes

Last edited:
He's keeping it simple. I'll assume the risks will come later.
Yeah it's the pattern. To start with you stay on the wings as wide as possible and focus on your general play, pressing, and positioning. The basics. Try and do your thing when you get the chance but don't force it.

Over time he'll figure the ins and outs and be trusted more to understand what's needed. Then he can drift around a bit more freely and be bolder in the way we've seen with Mahrez and Foden.

Yeah it's the pattern. To start with you stay on the wings as wide as possible and focus on your general play, pressing, and positioning. The basics. Try and do your thing when you get the chance but don't force it.

Over time he'll figure the ins and outs and be trusted more to understand what's needed. Then he can drift around a bit more freely and be bolder in the way we've seen with Mahrez and Foden.
Been quite impressed with the work being put in. I didnt think he had the defensive awareness or pressing to be shifted to the 8 this quickly without leaving Rodri in no mans land (with a Jack/Kev 8' pairing) Id be quite ok with it in a game. Rodri looking a level above himself helps.

Been quite impressed with the work being put in. I didnt think he had the defensive awareness or pressing to be shifted to the 8 this quickly without leaving Rodri in no mans land (with a Jack/Kev 8' pairing) Id be quite ok with it in a game. Rodri looking a level above himself helps.
Yeah I think the work ethic is the important thing to appreciate. Mahrez took a while before he felt like a consistent starter whereas Grealish has been picked as much as anybody, which must mean he's doing it both on gamedays and in training.

I was going to comment that he looked freer and more expressive when he moved to the right side of our attack yesterday. Could that be his preferred position?

A higher standard than what? He's only missed Wycombe and Burnley.
Than sterling running into people and falling over. The team is far more effective with Grealish in and around the 6 yard box. We don’t lose possession as easily from the wings leaving us less vulnerable to quick counters.

Last edited:
He had the disallowed goal early on. A key pass that wasn’t finished in the 20th minute. The step-over non-assist that should have been finished later on in the goal. And finally in the 88th minute when Sterling decided to shoot when Grealish had a wide open goal. I feel like he will explode in a game soon.. Can’t wait to see it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.