10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have watched the interview. he means the opposite of what you say. he means taking a lot of touches and slowing down the play and attracting the opposite midfielder out of position. this is exactly what jack does.

also don't agree with what you say about Jack's game. he does not carry the ball direct like you think. he first plays some one touch passing. attract the opponent player inside by showing him the ball and immediately shifts it outside to get past him. This is exactly how inesta used to carry the ball in pep's barca. would be super useful in our team. its not that pep does not like it, we never had a player like that until jack.
I've no idea what interview you're referring to, but given he repeatedly talks about passing, the tempo and basically passing teams into oblivion I find it difficult to believe he would want to slow down the play and take as many needless touches as possible.

I'm not going to keep going into these hypotheticals about Grealish in central midfield, I think i've made the points I wanted to with regards to it not suiting him or the team, there's no need to keep digging into it because we are yet to see it (presumably for a reason) and I don't expect Pep to do it anytime soon unless injuries make it neccesary.

All I'll say is why isn't Grealish displaying all these attributes you mention from the left? A position he's played at lest the majority of his career, that gives him the most space on the pitch, the most freedom to try things and potentially lose it with the least amount of risk and more than plenty of the ball? I simply don't see how he's suddenly going to start doing these things he's currently not doing on the left when he's in a more central crowded area with greater demands

but there are other alternatives as well....put foden back in his best position for intense which Grealish is taking up and put Sterling as the false 9 or Bernardo as the false 9 and play Sterling on the right...or dont play sterlingat all and play Mahrez or even Palmer.....

There are numerous alternatives and Grealish is a poor one at present....even int he games we have played well he hasnt exactly shone bright
All bad decisions. Bernie needs to stay box to box beside Rodri. Sterling is useless in all positions. Foden wasted on the right today. He should have played deep today once Kev was struggling. He could have dictated play. Grealish is doing ok. We have a few players out of form most notably Kev and you can’t expect a new signing to be able to step up in a disjointed team with no forward.

A few times he could have chosen the right pass or tried to a more direct attack into the box.

All bad decisions. Bernie needs to stay box to box beside Rodri. Sterling is useless in all positions. Foden wasted on the right today. He should have played deep today once Kev was struggling. He could have dictated play. Grealish is doing ok. We have a few players out of form most notably Kev and you can’t expect a new signing to be able to step up in a disjointed team with no forward.

A few times he could have chosen the right pass or tried to a more direct attack into the box.
He is not doing okay, he is doing nothing simple as that. He gets the ball a lot but does nothing with the ball.

Lots of time on the ball today, neat & tidy and nowhere near being one of our worst performers.

Zero end product though...
That’s the thing with Grealish he’s technically very good so he’s never going to have a game like Sterling where he’s really bad because his touch is awful. He’s always going to be neat and tidy and win free kicks etc but I’m sorry we need so much more from someone basically playing as part of our front 3 when we don’t have a striker.

Last edited:
We don't have a 9 and he is not a goal scoring type of a player I know this will be a problem
also Gundogan should have started today

he need to play in the position like inesta played for pep's barca. and there needs to be a CM like xavi who will be passing the ball and control ling the pace of the game next to him. KDB right now does not fit the team, playing bernardo against bus parking team is a wast but playing further forward is useless as well as he does not have the attacking output. so maybe Jack and Gundo will be a good paring against weaker teams.
So you're saying Pep needs to change his entire system just to fit Grealish in? If he doesn't slot in right away, then what was the point of spending a hundred million on him?
he need to play in the position like inesta played for pep's barca. and there needs to be a CM like xavi who will be passing the ball and control ling the pace of the game next to him. KDB right now does not fit the team, playing bernardo against bus parking team is a wast but playing further forward is useless as well as he does not have the attacking output. so maybe Jack and Gundo will be a good paring against weaker teams.

He looks like a top player with his fashionable socks and hair but in reality he offers very little. The amount of times he has over hit the same simple pass to cancelo when he is overlapping is worrying. Didnt get the hype when he was at villa, didn’t get the hype at the euros and certainly don’t get the hype now.

It's hard for me to watch the above and not think we should give him a go in midfield. The driving runs and the passing range are wasted so far up the pitch. He also obviously has a lot of experience of patiently and selflessly creating chances for forwards who need a lot of opportunities to score.

That video tells me he's got a decent left foot, a decent shot from the edge of the box, and he can go past people. If he's not using those skills as much as we'd like right now (and he's not) then it's either because he's being told to do differently (in which case, question Pep) or it's a confidence/familiarity with the team thing (in which case, just needs time and patience).

It's not like we signed Kane and he's not scoring. It's Grealish. He's never delivered big g/a numbers. Nonetheless, Villa's win percentage under Smith is about double with Jack as it is without him. Yes, we play differently to Villa, and we'll never be as dependent on a player as they were on Jack. But he wasn't scoring and assisting every match to win them games, he was contributing in other significant ways. We're right to expect goal and assist contributions for him, especially if he's playing in the front line (and I think he expects them of himself), but let's be realistic - that's not and never has been his main strength.

At Villa he had a fairly free role, first centrally and later nominally on the left. He was their best player and his remit was essentially to go wherever and do whatever he needed to do to get them results. He was at a club with a coach who seems like a decent man-manager but who's tactically fairly poor, playing alongside average Prem players, several of whom were elevated by playing with him (look at the form of Matt Targett, who suddenly has no space, or Ollie Watkins, who suddenly has no provision). That he had the impact he did under seemingly so little tactical guidance and with so little real quality around him should tell us the quality of his footballing brain and his ability to adapt to different situations and change matches.

But I think his international career suffered because of the maverick reputation that free role gave him, and one of the reasons he came to City was to prove to Southgate and the world that he can be coached, can follow instructions, can fit in tactically with a team and be trusted to follow a manager's plan rather than just doing what he thinks he needs to. I think he's proving that but he's currently being too tightly managed to be properly effective, and he's not yet comfortable enough in the team to know when he can get away with taking risks or deviating slightly from his overarching instructions.

Long term he'll surely play midfield. He's the cover for and eventual successor to Gundo/KDB who are both great and still have a lot to offer but are ageing and getting more injuries, or to Bernardo who's incredible but reportedly wants to leave. His performances on the left-wing have by and large been par for the team's performance in any given match (which is impressive in itself considering he's new to the club, it's the first time he's had to stick so rigidly to a role, and that role probably isn't where he's going to play most of his City career) but he's going to struggle to stand out playing there under his current instructions.

Last edited:
Nope. Average today.
And
He looks like a top player with his fashionable socks and hair but in reality he offers very little. The amount of times he has over hit the same simple pass to cancelo when he is overlapping is worrying. Didnt get the hype when he was at villa, didn’t get the hype at the euros and certainly don’t get the hype now.
Absolutely this !

revisionist at best regarding sterling.....he has in previous seasons been one of our top scorers..he is more of a goal threat depsite his shit finishing than Grealish is...he is far from useless. He is in a run of bad form though the last one or two games he has improved....still a way to go however...but to say he is useless is just wrong...he can beat a man...which is more than Grealish is doing at present.

That new signing aint a kid, (is he 25/26?) and he has previous prem experience (unlike for instance B. Silva when he came to us who had zero prem experience and was possibly younger as well)..to say he is doing ok shows how average he has been and thats the issue.....we cannt carry average in this team......

Foden is better on the left than Grealish at present and probably a better all around player anyway.

I agree that KDB is well off the pace as well however and presently a much greater concern than Grealish's performance levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.