10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
For Villa his dribbling was great, his passes especially last season were creative and incisive, his first touch very good and, although he was never a prolific goalscorer, he was a scorer of a modest number of often quite lovely goals.

He took risks, he drove forward, he could change a game, could inspire a win.

No reason to think he can't be that same player or better for us, with better quality teammates and coach. But as we've seen time and again, joining City is a big change and it takes time to adjust. It may be harder for Grealish than some others because he's been at one club his whole life and never played with players of this quality other than some in the national team.
For villa he played in a more counter attacking team meaning he normally received the ball from deep during a transition play running at defenders on the back foot or retreating. You can see how that will be totally different to receiving the ball outwide against a deep block. Of course there'll be games that will suit his style (i.e leeds) or the better teams that play more open where you will be able to see his true capabilities but those will be few and far between playing for a team like this. So then its up to him to adapt his game. The likes of mahrez, jesus all had to from the players they were.

The system always comes first in a team like this. That's where he has to adapt and learn like mahrez did who initially was too individual in his play meaning he was often making the wrong choices in either delaying a pass too long or taking a shot when there was a better option. That's where grealish is at the moment where he has to take an extra touch or try and square up a player whenever he recieves the ball often leading to nothing when moving it quicker would be the better option. Add to that a player whose off the ball movement is probably the worse in the side and he starts to stick out in these type of games. I have hope that once he fully adapts to the system he can be somewhat close to the player many believe he already is though at the age he's at, he doesn't have the luxury of time like a foden or sane when they all broke through.

Everything negative being said about Jack this year could and often was said in previous seasons about Rodri, Cancelo, Bernardo, Mahrez and others.
We are the most technically drilled team in the world, playing a style of football that no other team in the history of the game has played before, for the most demanding, and also the best, coach in the history of the game.
It takes time to learn to play in this system. Very very few players sign on and shine from day one. Jack is no different.
Bookmark this post and come back to it this time next year when he is being talked about as the best player in the league.
Very very few shine from day one you're right but Aguero did on his debut. I'm not arsed about Jack taking a little longer to settle but it's getting more concerning by the week when he gets a start and casually hogs the left wing before tryna turn it onto his right foot. I don't think that position is suiting him but Grealish needs to shore more desire urgency and ambition because right now he's swanning around the pitch like a prima donna that he most definitely isn't.

I think he'll come good but he needs to stay out of the spotlight (for the wrong reasons) and knuckle down and learn that he's just another player at this club. He's been a disappointing 6/10 i think thus far. His demeanor suggests he's lazy and half hearted and something he must improve on in IMO.

Last edited:
The player he replaced, Sane, started life at Bayern much worse and was getting demolished in the press.

He’s not scoring and assisting every week after a full season.

People need to relax and give him time.
Very different in that Sane was coming back from a year out with a horrific injury and then expected to suddenly be their new Robben on the right wing. Fully match sharp this season and back on the left he looks the amazing player he always could be again. I sympathise with Jack that stick out on the left isn’t helping him. However, the problem he has is winning a number 8 position at this club is tough and Foden will eventually move into that position and go another level.

Thought he had a poor game and mostly floated about not doing a lot, playing the game at a slow pace. Phil showed him how to do it on the left and as the false 9. Still early days for Jack and not worried at this stage

Pretty average performance.

But I know by now that you don't judge Pep's signings in the first 12 months.

Learning our complex system takes time.

Last edited:
OK, but if you see Ederson playing as a LW - you first of all ask why is he playing there and not criticize - for not being as good LW as good GK he is..

Context is more important than just the end result and people are concentrating on the result only, which is irrelevant if we don't consider the context first of all.

And context is that, Jack isn't playing the position he is good at..
False 9 ? Has he ever played there in Villa ?

LW ? he played deeper than that and creating chances for the attackers..

So when you have all the above mentioned information and still cry about "Jack being not that great against Brentford" - means that you just don't want to analyze the game better and be logical about it.

Paragraphs of shite.

Far too negative tonight , is he playing to instructions ? If he is , it is a waste of a talent at the moment , looked to play the safe ball all night , reminded me of Raheem under Pellegrini and that eventually turned out well.
Safe first pass to the end Pep ball tonight in battery saving mode :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.