10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more Jack plays the better he will get. He is an immensely talented player and is already linking very well with Ilkay. I think that we have some incredible football to look forward to when he starts playing with Phil and KDB.

And as importantly he is already getting a lot of attention from the opposition. There was so much more space for Bernardo to find centre right as a result of Arsenal being wary of Grealish. And then as soon as Grealish got a bit of space he drives into it and gets an assist.

And as importantly he is already getting a lot of attention from the opposition. There was so much more space for Bernardo to find centre right as a result of Arsenal being wary of Grealish. And then as soon as Grealish got a bit of space he drives into it and gets an assist.
Exactly,the opposition wont know where to turn when Kev and Foden join him,Bernie(hopefully) and/or Jesus.
We will create so much space and draw so much individual attention that they will need 22 players to keep an eye on everyone ;-)

To such a degree that the current panic for a number 9 will probably look a huge fuss about not very much.
It will be interesting to see how it pans out. It would be great if players like Torres and Jesus score lots of goals. Torres, in particular, looks like he could develop into a hell of a player...we shall see.

When Phil returns and everybody is ready - I don't see him in the starting line-up - this season..

Because.. there are three options for him, right ?

1) Left Winger -> Foden plays here

2) Left Central Midfielder -> Gundogan plays here

3) False 9 -> KDB plays here (when Bernardo starts as RCM) or Torres or Jesus and etc..

So it will be very difficult for him to play ahead of Foden, Gundogan or KDB - especially this season, when Gundogan plays his best football and KDB / Foden are simply irreplaceable.

But I don't see that as a problem. We have seen Pep using first year as a learning tutorial for a player and only after that he introduces him in a starting line-up and gives more responsibility and etc..

Bernardo 17/18 -> was mostly used as a sub
Mahrez 18/19 -> same
Cancelo 19/20 -> same

Some can argue that 100 million is 100 million, but for Bernardo or Mahrez or Cancelo - huge amounts of money were paid as well..

Next season Gundogan will be 32, which means that he will definitely need the replacement and Jack will be placed there from the beginning. I think that's how club planned this process..

I can’t believe people are questioning this signing. The price is a lot but is the club taking it out of your pocket?? No so stop moaning about that to start with. (We paid £50 million for Mendy ffs). It takes time for new signings to settle and then excel under Pep especially in the forward areas. Bernardo was non existent 17/18, Leroy and Sterling’s best seasons came in their second year under Pep etc. Jack will learn positioning and completely develop his game and he will be a similar suit to El Mago but with his own characteristics. People complain that our midfield is slow, lacks creativity without De Bruyne; we play Grealish and they still moan. Can’t win

Early days yet, but...
36ZAa2A.png
What website do you get these stats from?

fbref.com
Okay thanks.

Using that site here are some basic stats from this season of attacking players with over 100 minutes so far:

Goals + Assists per 90 VS Expected Goals + Assists per 90

Gabriel Jesus (171 mins):
Has 2.11 G+A (0.54G + 1.58A), was expected to get 1.01 (0.33G + 0.68A)

Jesus is out performing his xA massively which usually means the opposite unlike xG. Out performing your xG means you are scoring chances that others typically don't. Beating your xA means people are scoring goals from your assists that players typically don't, it's a combination of crediting the striker for scoring and perhaps the chance not being THAT good (hard to discern which exactly that's why I said combination).

This kind of makes sense because while I like Jesus RW, I think the team has been a little lucky with scoring from his crosses, not that they weren't good, they just weren't THAT good (KdB level on a plate).

Riyad Mahrez (124 mins): Has 1.46 G+A (0.73G + 0.73A), was expected to get 1.41 (0.83G + 0.58A)

Nothing to say here, he is pretty much exactly inline with his expected stats.

Raheem Sterling (132 mins): Has 0.68 G+A (0.68G + 0A), was expected to get 0.94 (0.87G + 0.06A)

Underperforming his expected stats. His expected G+A is close to Jesus (0.94 vs 1.01), but Sterling leaning WAY more into goals and Jesus into assists.

He has to pick up his scoring, very early in the season of course, so let's hope he does, because as we can see, Sterling does not create like our other players (perhaps why playing him striker is better).

Jack Grealish (254 mins): Has 0.70 G+A (0.35G + 0.35A), was expected to get 0.74 (0.37G + 0.37A).

Same as Mahrez in that he is inline with what is expected. That being said, the lowest expected return of the 4 so far but he is new to the team. All these xG+xA are a little skewed right now btw because of the 10 goals scored recently (everyone's will go down this season).

Ferran Torres (240 mins): Has 1.12 G+A (0.75G + 0.37A), was expected to get 0.65 (0.64G + 0.01A).

Outperforming his xG by a bit. The assist is for the pass to Rodri that typically doesn't go in, hence why is xA is so low but he is credit with 0.37A/90. He is a good playmaker on the wings with his crossing, but hopefully he can develop some more in central positions.

Very early stats based on limited minutes. But thought it was a little interesting nonetheless.

Can update a couple months later to see how they are doing.

Love Grealish in our side. Whenever he gets the ball he drives forward - always pulling the opposition out of shape. He's often fouled - for a free kick opportunity - or drives into the penalty box to either get a shot off of more likely to make a telling cross.
===
This sort of top level competition is good for the team. I like Sterling as well - having such a capable alternative can only stoke Sterling's motivation - or if not, it's time to move Sterling on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.