10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He should pass to KDB to the left and Foden did point to him. Really disappointed.

Of course it is too harsh because many our players made worse decisions than him today. And this is his only mistake. I usually don't judge player if them play coming at the last 10min. But today is really a meh...

Cancelo for once chose to shoot instead of passing to him or Mahrez who had better position and unmarked. Really frustrating.

Something I am more worried about - some of our players become greedy in this game. Jesus and Cancelo for the start. Mahrez and Grealish also shows sign of it. This is not good trend.
Cancelo has been a selfish player for a while. Not sure about "Cancelo for once chose to shoot..." Cancelo has been shooting when he should pass for a while now. I read a stat recently that he has the lowest goals to shots ratio in the league (4%, I think it was).

The point about the players becoming greedy is an interesting one and I can't help but strongly suspect it's down to the coaching. We've heard various comments from Pep this season implying he wants the players to take shots whenever they can. I specifically remember an interview where he said Jack needs to be more selfish in front of goal, for eg. (Although in practically the same breath he'd say Jack's passing decisions were correct, which has got to be a confusing message for any player.)

It's been noticeable since he joined the team that Jack would be the most likely to try and pass to a player in the best position to score rather than taking the shot himself. As a reward for that he's been frequently criticised on social media for not "taking the shot," and Pep spoke about him needing to be more selfish as referred to above.

Gabby also was not so much of a selfish player but apparently is becoming more of one. Mahrez generally takes the shot now even if a pass might be better. Sterling, always a selfish player, has got chance after chance from Pep, even when not in great form, which would surely imply to the other players his selfish attitude is approved of by Pep.

So given all this, it seems the obvious conclusion to draw is that they've all been given the impression it's better to shoot than pass. So we end up in a situation where they're shooting when they should pass, and if that's the case, Pep has brought this on himself. After the game yesterday he referred to pausing the video (I'm assuming in the team match review) and telling everyone where they should have passed. Maybe also coach the naturally more selfish players to be less selfish, and let the naturally unselfish ones know it's fine to look for the correct pass rather than try and shoot as your much preferred option.

I do realise at least a part of this has been brought on by the team's lack of a striker. We'll have to see if the problem is resolved when they eventually get one in the team.

Victim of our style and system,he isnt allowed to be the maverick he was at Villa.That player has long gone and im not convinced trying to remould him as he enters his prime years is the best for the individual or the team.
That player hasn't "long gone"; he turns up for England.

I saw a message recently from someone who apparently attends games saying they've seen Pep instructing Jack from the technical area to slow down the game, but I've lost count of the times I've seen fan complaints on social media complaining about that exact thing ("Grealish slows the game down too much" complaints).

Of course some people do go to the trouble of pointing out that Grealish is doing as instructed by Pep in how he's playing for City, but, as far as I can tell, a substantial portion of fans either don't realise this or choose to ignore it. I find it as frustrating as anyone watching the way Grealish is being used by Pep often. I can hardly imagine how frustrating he's finding it. I can only assume he knows it's all part of some Pep masterplan for him, or surely otherwise it would take superhuman levels of patience to do it when he's capable of so much more.

As has been stated many times, we're not going to know of the success of Pep's approach with Grealish this until a season or so has passed. Grealish has played very well in some games for City (against Utd for example), so the people branding him a total failure this season need to take a step back. Also, maybe, consider, if he's not playing how you want to see, having watched him at Villa, that's on Pep, not Jack.

And of course, as others have pointed out, anyone having a go at him for anything yesterday when he was on the pitch for ten minutes is ridiculous. I'm not sure why Pep brought him on, tbh. There's certainly no upside for Jack. All it means is he'll get criticised for not magicking up a goal in the space of a few minutes, which was never going to happen. If you're not going to give him a chance to do something of value, Pep, best just leave him out of it altogether.

Victim of our style and system,he isnt allowed to be the maverick he was at Villa.That player has long gone and im not convinced trying to remould him as he enters his prime years is the best for the individual or the team.

It’s a terrible career move by him; Pep is the worst possible manager for a player of his style - he ruined Hleb when he went to Barcelona and Gotze at Bayern.

Wright-Phillips and Joe Cole had similar problems with Mourinho at Chelsea, with him making them functional players at the expense of what made them special. If either had played under Ferguson or Wenger, they’d have flourished and gone on to the next level as individuals.

It’s a terrible career move by him; Pep is the worst possible manager for a player of his style - he ruined Hleb when he went to Barcelona and Gotze at Bayern.

Wright-Phillips and Joe Cole had similar problems with Mourinho at Chelsea, with him making them functional players at the expense of what made them special. If either had played under Ferguson or Wenger, they’d have flourished and gone on to the next level as individuals.
so pep ruins players ok , maybe hleb and the lazy fucker gotze ruined themselves ?

Superb!

He will soon become an indispensable player for us.

I think his long-term position will be central midfield for us where he can properly impact the game. He has all the attributes, he can retain possession, pick a pass and drive forward with the ball etc.

I also have this feeling that he has a huge moment in him this season. It might be a goal to win us a competition like Havertz did for Chelsea last season.

That player hasn't "long gone"; he turns up for England.

I saw a message recently from someone who apparently attends games saying they've seen Pep instructing Jack from the technical area to slow down the game, but I've lost count of the times I've seen fan complaints on social media complaining about that exact thing ("Grealish slows the game down too much" complaints).

Of course some people do go to the trouble of pointing out that Grealish is doing as instructed by Pep in how he's playing for City, but, as far as I can tell, a substantial portion of fans either don't realise this or choose to ignore it. I find it as frustrating as anyone watching the way Grealish is being used by Pep often. I can hardly imagine how frustrating he's finding it. I can only assume he knows it's all part of some Pep masterplan for him, or surely otherwise it would take superhuman levels of patience to do it when he's capable of so much more.

As has been stated many times, we're not going to know of the success of Pep's approach with Grealish this until a season or so has passed. Grealish has played very well in some games for City (against Utd for example), so the people branding him a total failure this season need to take a step back. Also, maybe, consider, if he's not playing how you want to see, having watched him at Villa, that's on Pep, not Jack.

And of course, as others have pointed out, anyone having a go at him for anything yesterday when he was on the pitch for ten minutes is ridiculous. I'm not sure why Pep brought him on, tbh. There's certainly no upside for Jack. All it means is he'll get criticised for not magicking up a goal in the space of a few minutes, which was never going to happen. If you're not going to give him a chance to do something of value, Pep, best just leave him out of it altogether.
Excellent post - perfectly summed up and informed and sensible. It doesn’t belong on the Jack Grealish thread ;)

Yeh cos Pep's really ruined Mahrez and Foden hasn't he? Ridiculous post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.