10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
At Villa, he usually got the ball in the inside left position. His fullback would always make the overlapping run to create space, and he had a strong, mobile centre forward making runs and occupying the central defenders ahead of him. He would also often receive the ball in transition with space to run at a retreating opposition that had just turned over the ball upfield.

None of this routinely happens at City. He's either playing false-9 and receiving the ball back-to-goal (or halfheartedly making runs to try and get on the end of crosses or through-balls), or wide left and getting the ball on the touchline with a defender tight to him, inconsistent overlapping from his fullback, and a packed opposition defence with no centre forward to worry about.

Which is not to say that we still shouldn't expect more from him, because we absolutely should. His performance against the Rags, where he played with what looked like true confidence and comfort for one of the few times in his nascent City career, should be the minimum we get from him. I just think both tactically and mentally this was a bigger step up than probably he or anyone else anticipated and it's taking him a long time to really feel natural in this side.

I do think that a big-money striker addition to take the pressure off his price tag, plus the usual second-season increase in understanding and application of City's system that we often see, will help him kick on next year.
Yep yep yep..

Jack will deliver for sure..

he should replace Bernardo Silva who is usually shit against crap teams who sit back basically 90% of the games if I am being honest. silva has a crap offensive output against those kind of teams and we don't need his energy when we have 90% of the ball. Bernardo Silva is one our worst creative players when playing against a parked bus and Jack's creativity will come in more than handy.
Sorry but I completely disagree with every word you have written. B.Silva has been far superior in most games to what grealish has been this season

You can add Gundogan and Rodri to that list.
Yes those players took time to settle in Peps system but
1. Rodri, Gundogan, Bernardo, Cancelo all came from different leagues and had to actually settle in a new country.
2. Grealish was a PL proven player moving from Birmingham to Manchester.
3. He's been way worse than any of those players in his first season.
4. All of those players were competing with World class players in their position, when they were signed. Jack is competing with a horribly off form Sterling.

And yet he does fit. Just not bagging lots of lovely goals yet to keep the "knockers" happy.
Another one who has the quote the obligatory 100mill as if you feel somehow short changed and out of pocket.
You also have become slightly misty eyed and revisionist about the sulky, petulant Sane.
Sorry Bill - just have to disagree.
Ahh that's ok mate, we're all entitled to an opinion pal. I agree Sane was a bit sulky, but he was young and you have to admit, exciting. Some of those goals he scored were pretty breathtaking. I'm just not a Jack fan. Neither is Pep judging on his number of starts.
Sane would be a perfect player to have when we play Liverpool imo.

I'm just not a Jack fan. Neither is Pep judging on his number of starts.
This is such enormous bullshit that it has me doing maths in the middle of the night.

How many starts do you think would indicate Pep liked him?

Here's what he's played.

This season, across all competitions:
Squad: 41
Starting XI: 27
Percentage of matches he was available for that he started: 66%

Phil:
Squad: 41
Starting XI: 30
Percentage: 73%
(Last season: 36/61, 59%)

Kev:
Squad: 42
Starting XI: 31
Percentage: 74%
(His first season with us: 34/42, 86%).

Bernardo:
Squad: 46
Starting XI: 41
Percentage: 89%
(His first season with us: 28/47, 60%)

Gundo:
Starting XI: 30
Percentage: 65%
(His second season with us (as he spent a huge amount of the first season injured): 32/54, 59%)

Raz:
Starting XI: 28
Percentage: 61%
(His first season with us: 34/52, 65%)

Jesus:
Squad: 40
Starting XI: 21
Percentage: 53%
(His second season with us (like Gundo, had an injury-prone first that was nowhere near a full season): 29/45, 64%)

Mahrez:
Starting XI: 26
Percentage: 57%
(His first season with us: 28/60, 47%).

So Jack, whose number of starts you think indicates Pep isn't a fan of him, has started more of the matches for which he was available this season than everyone across our forward line/attacking midfield except for Bernardo, Kev and Phil.

And when comparing this, his first season at the club, with the first full seasons of the same group of players, he's played more of the matches for which he was available than everyone except Kev, who for this group is a statistical anomaly in that regard (I appreciate the season's not over yet, but even if Jack's start-rate drops significantly for the rest of the season, he's unlikely to end the season with an overall first season start-rate significantly lower than anyone other than Kev).

So, unless you're suggesting that Pep isn't a fan of any of his players, I think you've got this one wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.