10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbf he’s not really been in the team for the big games in the past month or two. Athletico Madrid both legs, Liverpool at home he was on the bench. Let’s see if he plays on Tuesday. Not a great sign for him our record signing on the bench for the crunch games of the season.
I agree with the posters saying he should improve next season as most of our signing do in their second season.
He’s been extremely underwhelming though as an individual for me this season. We vastly overpaid for him and I don’t think he has improved the squad that much as it stands.
No hes clearly not trusted at the mo.

Not sure of the point in digging out players out when we are on the cusp of trophies and in the middle of an incredibly tense set of games
Fine to have an opinion but I'd rather leave it to the end of the season and get behind the lads
Digging out players on an internet forum isn't gonna hurt our chances of silverware is it?

Every scout report you can find from the past few years, whether they are looking at how he might fit with us or united or Tottenham or whoever else was interested at the time, or just assessing how he plays, they're all along a similar theme.

Not a perfect player. Not without flaws or room for improvement.

But a talent that multiple observers - looking at his stats past goals and assists, looking at his impact on a team and his movement on the pitch - rate up there with some of football's top players.

"Mane's ability to run and carry at defenders mixed with Muller's ability to find and use space..."

"...pressing in behind and his movement off the ball are crucial in releasing the press and retaining possession."

https://90maat.com/scout-report-what-english-dybala-jack-grealish-can-bring-to-spurs/
"...not too many differences between Isco [at the same age] and Grealish..."

"...one of the most dangerous attacking players in the Premier League..."

He's still the player being described there. He just seems to have taken a confidence knock, and he and the club are just fine-tuning how to get the best out of him for our team. But the raw material is absolutely still there and I believe in Pep's ability to hone it.

Was pretty mediocre yesterday but has been decent/good overall this season. Fits into our system nicely, gives us a good out-ball, we miss him when he doesn't play. Plus, Pep clearly likes him.

Needs to be a bit bolder next season for his numbers to improve but that'll come. Lost count of how many midfielders and forwards we've signed under Pep who've taken a bit to get going. Grealish no different.

Two goals scored in PL, City-Leeds 7-0 and City-Norwich 5-0. Last one in early December.

Actually the only goal he scored in a somewhat close game was last week the FA semis vs Pool, albeit Pep threw that game on purpose.

1 CL goal, when we scored 6 past Leipzig in early group game.

Basically we can rely on him to score one when we score 6-7 goals in the game anyway.

I think McAtee and Palmer could have scored these goals if given the same playing time.
‘Pep threw that game on purpose’….brilliant.

Jack’s doing fine. He just needs a massive goal in a massive game to set him free psychologically and turn him into the superstar we all know he can become - maybe the winner to clinch the title against his old club on the final day of the season ??
Sorry but we don't all think he's going to be a superstar.....that's the issue here, I and many others said it from the get go,
We get slagged off for giving an opinion which we are entitled too based on his performances but at the same time want the lad to prove us wrong because at the end of the day he is a blue and City comes first CITID

Bernardo , Gundo , Cancelo , Rodri , Ake and others have all taken time to adjust to Pep's tactics , but have all come good , expect the same with Grealish as well , there arent many players that come to our club and hit the ground running Walker , Jesus , Dias , Ederson , Laporte are a few who did OK.
Its frustrating with a player like Grealish , he really is a brilliant player with an attitude and a personality that will shine for the next few years at our club , and if he turns out as effective as some of the above then we will have some player on our hands.

No hes clearly not trusted at the mo.
I think that Pep was not satisfied with the left side attacking combo for some time. We had some struggles on that side vs Totterham/Everton, Cancelo was heavily man marked and the ball was not going smoothly as usual.

Grealish pulled out 2 good game at LW spot since he returned from injury vs Peterbough and Man U. But honestly they were not very good teams.

Grealish started as LW again vs Crystal Palace. Although he played not bad (and I thought was actually 2nd best attacking player following KDB on that day), the draw clearly had affected Pep's mind a lot. He lost the "trust" after that match.

In the following games, Pep either raised the tempo by using Sterling LW, or focused attacking on the right side rather than usual left side.

As Pep described, Grealish could play a tempo controller role. Grealish plays less and less recently. It shows that Pep weakens the usual requirement of tempo controlling and wishes to go more direct.

The bright side is - we beat Southhampton first time this season. A show case game vs Liverpool which would be a PL classic for years to remember.

The down side is - A raised tempo requires full backs to run/defend much much more. Given the busy schedule, it exposed our weakness. We don't have much depth on the back line especially full backs. It put us into a very difficult situation.

We will see if Pep's gamble wins after the game vs Real.

Some stats to support my view

According to FBref among all competitions for City this season (PL CL FA EFL Community)
Looking at xG allowed per 90 stats by the team when playing Sterling vs Grealish
Sterling 0.82 (highest among all regular players following Carson, Mendy, Steppen and Ferna)
Grealish 0.58 (lowest among all current 1st squad player)
I see Grealish better as a safe net when we need control and protect a lead. But if we want to be more pacy and danger - Sterling fits in better.

Last edited:
Are you English? Did you read my post? Because from the sound of it, you might not be that good being English yourself or are you just in a rush to defend your boy-wonder Grealish?

I assure you, you can't even begin to fathom what am capable of grasping, and yeah, I do know "what shit actually looks like or means"!

At least shit is useful, in some other parts of the world depending whether its human "shit" can still be used as manure! As for Grealish, am afraid he isn't even that useful!

Is my English clear enough for or am I English enough for you now or are you still puzzled?
So are you saying you don’t rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.