10 | Jack Grealish - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't get much better than that with those stats. Needs to improve other areas of his game, happy to see how he does next season.
It's been a learning curve for Grealish as it is with many players who sign under Pep in the first season & so he probably gets 6/10 performance this season from me. Grealish knows himself that he needs to improve & Pep will have time pre season to work with him.

Now the dust has settled...

I think he started the season pretty well. He looked dynamic and aggressive but was obviously new to the team as the mutual understanding with the teammates wasn't always there.

Then as the season went on he seemed to be increasingly blending in better with the team but also playing more and more safe. Could be relied on to keep the ball and help control the pace, but seemed shy of running hard at defenders or trying a risky pass.

Some matches better than others - he played pretty well in the derby - and he always offered something, even if it was just occupying a couple of defenders and the space that gave other players. But not much that would really get you off your seat.

Then the final few games of the season I think he started to open up a bit, bringing back some of that dynamism from the early days and combining it with all he's learnt this season. Still a way to go but glimpses of what he could be.

So yeah, on balance a 6/10 season for me too, but I'm expecting more next season.

I think he's a good buy for the club. Talented, determined, willing to learn, wants to be here, great with the fans and the media, seems to have a strong relationship with everyone at the club and to have managed to arrive with the fee and fanfare he did and still not put any noses out of joint.

He does have a hell of a lot of self-belief and that kind of football arrogance which is impressive. He's watched everyone else who have maintained their great levels of consistency and intensity for several years and if he can match that work rate the fact he is naturally a higher level player he should come good. Sometimes I find his personality a little grating from the outside (especially when he makes stupid comments like about Almiron) but in the dressing room he is clearly liked and not just tolerated which you can't always say about these maverick types of players.

Now the dust has settled...

I think he started the season pretty well. He looked dynamic and aggressive but was obviously new to the team as the mutual understanding with the teammates wasn't always there.

Then as the season went on he seemed to be increasingly blending in better with the team but also playing more and more safe. Could be relied on to keep the ball and help control the pace, but seemed shy of running hard at defenders or trying a risky pass.

Some matches better than others - he played pretty well in the derby - and he always offered something, even if it was just occupying a couple of defenders and the space that gave other players. But not much that would really get you off your seat.

Then the final few games of the season I think he started to open up a bit, bringing back some of that dynamism from the early days and combining it with all he's learnt this season. Still a way to go but glimpses of what he could be.

So yeah, on balance a 6/10 season for me too, but I'm expecting more next season.

I think he's a good buy for the club. Talented, determined, willing to learn, wants to be here, great with the fans and the media, seems to have a strong relationship with everyone at the club and to have managed to arrive with the fee and fanfare he did and still not put any noses out of joint.
Good post. Yeah people tend to forget actually his first several matches were good or at least above avg expectation. His better games come with Ferran Torres who played more traditional 9, or the later stage of the season when Ake/Zinny LB. He had some occasionally good games with Foden false 9 & Cancelo LB in the between but most of the games he played tidy and safe without real excitement

My thought is - he needs a striker and a more traditional left back. It is not a lot to ask but just unfortunately City squad is short on these 2 positions. Hopefully it will be better in the next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.