10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
To a point mate i totally agree with you. In terms of when they got the ball their options were very limited at times due to the fullbacks. Ironically those 2 got us out of jail. Great ball from Cancelo but Pep and us got very lucky when Stones hit a worldie. I very much suspect his last throw of the dice would have been Gomez on with 10 to go for Stones or another centre half had we not equalised.

Where i disagree though is that they always had 2 or 3 to beat. I was sat behind Grealish first half and plenty of times we got him one on one with the fullback and he did nothing. Now we know Mahrez isn’t really a player to go driving past people but on his day and he’s had plenty, he can produce half a yard for a great finish or supply a great ball in. If Grealish isn’t going to start beating his man when one on one then wow 100M for ball retention out on the left is mind blowing! He doesn’t often create half a yard and finish or produce the kind of balls Mahrez can and has done. Playing them both together helps neither of them though.

I agree Grealish had at least 3 one on one's in the first half within 18 yds of the goal, that is when he is encouraged to drive into the area. He was successful twice and hit shots into the defenders. One thing I have noticed when he drives into the box is that he fails to look up ad he dribbles, whereas Foden and Bernie for example are always scanning.

It shows the lack understanding of peps philosophy when people attack individuals to the extent I have just read on this thread.

When Grealish and Mahrez received the ball in the first half they had no options. Pep does not allow dribbling if there are 3 defenders or have no support.. so they recycled

Dortmund were great at stopping quick transition hence we struggled to get in areas where we could overload.

Easy for people to see the symptoms and not the cause.

Kdp and Gundog both failed to find pockets of space and make runs into the area.

Agbonlabor made a great summation of the game on Talksort this morning, unfortunately many posters prefer to pick out individuals as they cannot see a bigger picture.
Agbonlahor and bigger picture don't belong in the same paragraph.

So where does he play? He surely doesn't deserve to start ahead of KDB, gundo or Bernardo. And as per reports , we are going for more midfielders next summer.
His mentality is weak. It's like he is on the field only to draw fouls and play safe passes. No idea what's wrong with him. He has done absolutely nothing impressive that i can remember and time is running out.
Ridiculous to say time running out. Give him a run in his best position against a team in the league cup. Wasted out on the left

Fuck off with Sterling. He wanted out.

Jesus has been replaced with Haaland so piss off with that comparison also.

Very articulate argument! You’re right, Grealish’s signing had no bearing on the careers I’ve mentioned..

Other than Jesus was a far better player all over the park than Grealish. And ge actually tried too.

It’s just not clicking for him. I don’t think playing out on the left is ideal for him either, so that isn’t helping.

Last night against Dortmund I thought he got a bit of unfair criticism. He wasn’t any worse than most players for the time he was on. In fact he was one of the few that tried things but it didn’t come off, there was barely any space due to how dortmund set up. We only got the goals later in the game when they actually changed formation. Even then we relied on two wonder goals.

That said, he does need to start delivering consistently. I’m not sure he’s going to playing out on the left, and I’m not sure he’s going to get much opportunity to play the role he did at Villa. So who knows what the answer is.

Or maybe we’re just wanting him to reach levels he hasn’t got. He’s a good player no doubt, but maybe he’s just not the world beater we hoped he could become and can thrive at this level. I truly hope it starts coming together for him but the longer it doesn’t, I think we might have to start thinking that maybe he just can’t quite cut at at the highest levels.

He has my support anyway and I hope he can start to perform.

Very articulate argument! You’re right, Grealish’s signing had no bearing on the careers I’ve mentioned..

Other than Jesus was a far better player all over the park than Grealish. And ge actually tried too.
Whereas your ‘my dad’s bigger & better than yours’ comment is soooooo much more articulate ;)

I agree Grealish had at least 3 one on one's in the first half within 18 yds of the goal, that is when he is encouraged to drive into the area. He was successful twice and hit shots into the defenders. One thing I have noticed when he drives into the box is that he fails to look up ad he dribbles, whereas Foden and Bernie for example are always scanning.

I am pretty sure that before one shot he pulled off he did check teammates (KDB Gundo and Cancelo) positions, chose not to pass (either he thought the others were not in a better position or he did not want to pass) and shot in the end.

We've had/have players on the wing like sane and foden who can dribble past defenders, we've got someone like kdb who drifts out there who can deliver a great ball, we've had sterling who offers fantastic movement off the ball in behind, stretching the defence and offering a pass, we've had jesus and now Alvarez who bring all the intensity and energy you need, they all have at lest one outstanding attribute, What does Grealish do for us?

He saw plenty of the ball first half in great positions 1v1 to get at the fullback and into the box, not once did he beat his man or produce something. He either had his marker block whatever he tried or the majority of the time played it back to the safety net behind him.

Looking back at those key attributes of others and applying them to Grealish, he doesn't have the pace or acceleration to go by defenders, doesn't have a trick or a shimmy to beat somebody or get a yard to deliver, hates using his left foot and telegraph's every dribble, it's a side feint to the left with a half dummy before cutting inside every single time. You cannot be that readable without the pace.

His delivery? nothing noteworthy, a substandard delivery when he provides one but most of the time it gets blocked because he cannot work the space in the first place, wouldn't say its bad by any means but it's no better than others and his numbers suggest he rarely provides.

Movement? Hugs the line, offers nothing behind due to lack of pace, only ever moves backwards and towards the ball to receive it infront of his markers.

intensity? Miles behind the rest of the side with this, a big outlier in this respect and the key reason why he will never, ever play as an 8 for Pep.(yet we still have plenty of people that flat out ignore this very clear major issue and insist he should be an 8. Pep, the guy who turned Delph and zinchenko into left backs, plays John stones right back, had Phil Foden as a false 9 amongst many other left field decisions, loves a position change yet has so far never played Grealish as an 8. He doesn't have a blind spot here, it's really really clear why he doesn't play as an 8 and this idea needs to be shutdown for good)

With the ball he slows everything down to a walk which in itself isn't bad but he doesn't then have the change in gear that's needed, particularly when it's not going to plan and intensity is required. without the ball, he's always a yard or two off the press. Just look at the way he casually strolled out to the ball as their player put the ball back in for their goal, he has to be straight out to that getting a block in, his casualness caused that goal and is indicative of his overall pressing, the out ball for opposition is always the area Grealish occupies when we press.

Things he was known to be good at at Villa, carrying the ball up the pitch, invaluable for Villa but not needed for a side that plays against sides that are often camped on their own box where ederson could walk the ball to the halfway most of the time, we don't struggle to get up the pitch, it's not a valuable skill for us.

Ability to keep hold of it under pressure and win freekicks, again invaluable for villa but very few teams ever put us under sustained pressure and those that try it are generally punished as we play around it, break the press and execute a devastating counter. Also the freekicks just disrupt our flow, useful in niche situations where we're seeing a tight game out or for some reason are under the cosh a bit but those instances are infrequent at most. Meaning it is
just not a skill that's very useful for us.

That's his best two assets from Villa that aren't required here, he just doesn't fit into our needs at present beyond helping to see games out for the last 20 if we have a narrow win which isn't enough and I do not currently see how he might be a better fit in the future.

Best thing that could happen to him right now imo is he misses out on the world cup squad, he will have been with us for 18 months by the time that's over, it either gives him a slap in the face he needs to step up and become useful for us or it quickens the process of cutting our losses which will be becoming a talking point by then if there's no upturn in performances.

Yeah but other than that?

I will continue to address the balance though...he wasn't shite,he wasn't great... he did a good job but his final ball wasn't there,which clearly it has to be on more occasions.Its not been the most fluid of transfers admittedly,but the criticism is OTT from those who never wanted him here in the first place.

Last night both Kev and Mahrez were less influential,I haven't yet been on their threads though...

But they have credit in the bank. De Bruyne was also trying to make things happen. Taking risks. Grealish wasn’t. Not to mention that De Bruyne only had one target, as the two wide forwards were static. Sadly, and not even Grealish’s biggest fans could disagree, his movement off the ball is diabolical. His ability to attack the space is non existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.