10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The frustrating thing is that we've seen what he can do for us.
When he came on at Real Madrid he almost scored, twice, by running at the defence at pace and putting the ball across. This is one of his strengths and i don't understand why he doesn't do that more often.
Possibly because such actions can also lead to us surrendering possession, hence the wide players are instructed not to do that too often.

Completely agree mate. He took his man on a couple of times before having shots blocked and he was shaking his head and apologising to team mates. That's the sign of someone putting a lot of pressure on themselves to perform and he'd be better just ignoring the weight of expectation, performances would then come. He shouldn't apologise for gaining half a yard and taking a shot on, lots of players do it. On both occasions no other pass was really on in any case.

When Bernardo and Foden came on they took it in turns being wide or inside but they paired up and, in combination with Cancelo they forced overlaps and as a result there was also more space on the right for De Bruyne, who dropped a bit deeper and had Alvarez moving inside and outside.

Gundogan wasn't combining well with Grealish. He was floating about in the no10 slot but not managing to make much happen. I think if Grealish had have stayed on with Bernardo we'd have seen him instantly be a lot more effective.

Not blaming Gundogan, sometimes it's easy for a new player to come on and Pep had probably identified areas to target. Grealish just needs to play his natural game and not worry so much about what others are thinking. He's a cracking player and he'll get there in time.
Yeah Sure it's always someone and never grealish's fault. He is not effective because of everyone around him! It's pep that's instructing him to play bad. Gundo not doing enough. Cancelo not giving him space. I have heard it all.

Hes an attacking mid. Not a winger in this team.

Unfortunately for him he's below KDB, Bernardo and Gundogan, but that's his position.

Possibly because such actions can also lead to us surrendering possession, hence the wide players are instructed not to do that too often.
You'd think with Haaland he'd be asked to do that more often.
He's becoming too predictible, cutting inside and shooting into a defender. He needs to mix things up

Yeah Sure it's always someone and never grealish's fault. He is not effective because of everyone around him! It's pep that's instructing him to play bad. Gundo not doing enough. Cancelo not giving him space. I have heard it all.

He can definitely improve which is what the majority of my post said. He's putting pressure on himself and clearly feeling frustrated when things don't come off as a result. He still hasn't settled and isn't feeling worthy. But I still support him and hope to see him make his mark, I see no benefit in slagging him off.

As some work rate side I checked UEFA status

Against Sevilla
Grealish 62 minutes Distance covered 6.9 km

Against Dortmund
Grealish 58 minutes Distance covered 7.17 km

A bit surprised to see actually Grealish did run harder against Dortmund than Sevilla. It was funny because I saw posts praised him "working his sock off very active..." after last week match but hit on his work rate issue after last night. But actually he worked even harder.

For the work rate it is average for covering 7km for 1 hour as an attacking player - on towards 10-11km range for a full match.

Grealish is never good at work rate even in his younger days like Mason Mount. He chose to put on more muscles and focus more on physically side than work rate after his kidney injury. His output was around 10-11km.

You cannot expect a 180cm slightly-heavy built player to cover the same distance as a 170cm small build player. But he can offer something different for example winning headers and protecting ball in the final third as a heavy built winger. It is valuable especially when playing with shorter teammates like Bernado and Gomez on the same side. The question is - how much value it brings? Does it offsite the distance he cannot cover?

But if City prefers to have the wingers to cover more ground hitting 12km mark, it is better to either shift him to another role or transfer him out to a different team - for everyone's best interests.

With our other attacking players there's a distinct intensity, zip and directness to their play, with Grealish he slows us down and is too predictable, not slating him but he needs to up his game and I'm sure he'll know that, there are no passengers in this city team anymore.

With our other attacking players there's a distinct intensity, zip and directness to their play, with Grealish he slows us down and is too predictable, not slating him but he needs to up his game and I'm sure he'll know that, there are no passengers in this city team anymore.
You said it in your last sentence ,no passengers, so he get the minutes and starts he gets based purely on merit and what Pep wants.

Left wing seems to be our most emotive position.

Grealish, Sterling and Sane…
Once they cross event horizon, they are gone forever....Phil is somehow managing to stay on this side of Pep's singularity.

m87_lo_april11_polarimetric_average_image_ml_deband-cc-8bit-srgb-1014x1024.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.