10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it wasn’t his fault etc. but the reality is we should never have paid the fee we did it’ll just never be repaid of warranted no matter what he does, I like him as a player but his ‘thing’ was getting his head down and running at defences which Pep clearly doesn’t want him to do as part of the system, so until he masters Peps system which doesn’t suit him one bit or Pep leaves and he gets his free pass to attack again, I won’t expect much from him.

I liken it to buying a Ferrari but then whinging it’s shit on fuel, so you don’t drive it fast.

I don't think Pep for one minute expected Jack to come and play like he did at Villa considering we dominate the ball and don't sit deep and counter as they did. I think the fact he can keep the ball under pressure, has excellent vision and rarely gives it away were the attributes he saw and liked. The £100m fee was crazy but on the basis we had £80m in sales from our academy they felt it was justifiable. Considering the business they did this summer with Haaland, Akanji, Phillips and Gomez for more than reasonable fees I'm not going to judge them on making the call to go big. They walked away from Kane when they felt it got silly.

Jack isn't a £100m player and never will be. The club aren't interested in that or any potential re-sale value. Can he do more in the team? 100%. He's been average compared to what he's capable of. He's a target for the opposition still. They tend to double up on him and as a result, just by being on the pitch he's improving us because he's creating space for others. The move for Haaland's goal from the De Bruyne delivery against United. That's what Pep will expect to see. And when he does have space Pep will expect to see more of a final product, which I think is only going to come from him consistently starting. His performance at home to Copenhagen was what we expect to see and was a sign of growing confidence. To drop him at Anfield then crushed that somewhat. Hopefully he starts the next few and can kick on and come back post-WC to deliver more consistently. The Ferrari metaphor is belittling Pep and the board. They're not beyond criticism but they will not have signed Jack to play exactly as he did for Villa.

I disagree, his job is mainly to lay off assists and bang in goals. There is no single team in the world where scoring goals is the responsibility of one player only ! Pep goal scoring philosophy revolves around involving the whole front line ( false nine, rotation, switching roles..ect).
Spot on Kadour and remember the fee is irrelevant ! :)

Difficult times?

From what I have witnessed 99.9% of our players have been consistently superb, odd drop off in form but on the whole incredibly consistent.
As I’m sure you know - I meant Jack

It's no surprise to see the exact same 10 posters in this thread as were in the Sterling, Gundogan, Rodri and Mahrez threads week after week.

Misery loves company I suppose.
I don't see them here actually what I've noticed here is that the same posters who never saw any good in Sterling and Jesus are the same posters defending a footballer who isn't half as talented as the other two players who, for some strange reason they just couldn't stand. I guess that saying is true, the heart likes what it likes.

Because he’s been here best part of 80 games and he’s yet to put in a 10/10 performance.

Saturday was yet another game where he was missing when needed. His best games have been games when everyone has been firing..

People are right to want more from him much more often.

No I don't think "his best games have been games when everyone has been firing".

One of his best games was the one vs West Ham away last season when clearly he and only one or two players were good on that day while majority of the team were not good.

Another example vs Wolves. He was very good in that game while quite a few of our players were sloppy.

Have you ever consider that, in some games maybe Grealish is the reason that "everyone has been firing" instead of the result? Stats show that in PL this season we have 3 ppt per game when he started and 2 ppt per game when he did not start (injury or bench).

Reactions: CC1
No I don't think "his best games have been games when everyone has been firing".

One of his best games was the one vs West Ham away last season when clearly he and only one or two players were good on that day while majority of the team were not good.

Another example vs Wolves. He was very good in that game while quite a few of our players were sloppy.

Have you ever consider that, in some games maybe Grealish is the reason that "everyone has been firing" instead of the result? Stats show that in PL this season we have 3 ppt per game when he started and 2 ppt per game when he did not start (injury or bench).

You realise you’ve agreed with me. “Good” isn’t 10/10. He’s never put in a match winning performance for us. That simply isn’t good enough.

He’s played around 3800 minutes for us in all competitions and been largely disappointing, he’s returned 7 goals and 4 assists in the best attacking side in the country. The 1st goal vs West Ham is his only telling contribution that I can think of.

His best game for us so far is Copenhagen. He was very good against the rags twice. He did play well this season against United. But the other two attackers got hattricks.

Stats also show that he’s not performing as you’d expect a top quality attacking player to.

Look, I like the lad, would love nothing more if he shoved the all criticism back down the throats of those slating him in the media. But he’s simply not.

It might only take one truly one matching winning performance and things could all change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.