10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
You realise you’ve agreed with me. “Good” isn’t 10/10. He’s never put in a match winning performance for us. That simply isn’t good enough.

He’s played around 3800 minutes for us in all competitions and been largely disappointing, he’s returned 7 goals and 4 assists in the best attacking side in the country. The 1st goal vs West Ham is his only telling contribution that I can think of.

His best game for us so far is Copenhagen. He was very good against the rags twice. He did play well this season against United. But the other two attackers got hattricks.

Stats also show that he’s not performing as you’d expect a top quality attacking player to.

Look, I like the lad, would love nothing more if he shoved the all criticism back down the throats of those slating him in the media. But he’s simply not.

It might only take one truly one matching winning performance and things could all change.
Agreed, small margins I guess… the Madrid semi was his first moment, that could of, and should of changed the landscape

Im still hopeful however, he needs a big game defining moment to curb the inevitable witch-hunt, and soon!

Agreed, small margins I guess… the Madrid semi was his first moment, that could of, and should of changed the landscape

Im still hopeful however, he needs a big game defining moment to curb the inevitable witch-hunt, and soon!

Doesn't matter, the moment he play "shit" next match the witch hunt will resume.

Exact same thing happen with Sterling and Mahrez, don't think Grealish will get away with it.

I don't see them here actually what I've noticed here is that the same posters who never saw any good in Sterling and Jesus are the same posters defending a footballer who isn't half as talented as the other two players who, for some strange reason they just couldn't stand. I guess that saying is true, the heart likes what it likes.
Some people simply can't see reality, even if it stares them in the face.

Sterling got a lot of grief on here, not from me I might add, whatever you thought of Raheem, his stats were always very, very good, even during his last 2 years when his form dipped.

The forward players in our team HAVE to contribute in terms of assists and goals and the fact that under Pep we have scored 601 goals, I would say that IF a player is not contributing good numbers there is an issue with the player.

Witch Hunt?

Sorry but Jack Grealish has suffered no witch hunt, no hate, in fact I would say he has had a very easy ride in terms of his overall contribution from signing.

All I see are fans wanting a player to produce and consistently, is that not what we want from all our players?

As I’m sure you know - I meant Jack
Well then I do question you, from what I have witnessed, Jack has had incredible support, on this board unbelievable support. He has had very little abuse from the media considering his fee (relevant like it or not).

We had a player in Raheem Sterling that did divide, that did get some incredible abuse considering his contribution to our numerous titles, I would imagine City/Pep and Jack Grealish would love to have the numbers and performances in sky blue of Sterling.

I get the feeling Grealish is a very popular figure on and off the pitch and a vast majority simply want him to produce and be the player the club invested hugely to just that.

I liked both Sterling and Jesus, thought they did an awful lot for us. Nobody's perfect, every player has flaws, but they were very good servants to our club.

I also like Grealish. I think we play better with him on the pitch, and our most balanced side at the moment consists of a front 3 of him and Foden on either side of Haaland.

I'd love for him to get a bunch of goals and assists - because it is part of his role, because he's clearly lacking confidence as a result of not getting those numbers, and to try to stem the tide of the "goals are everything" vs "goals are nothing" narrative.

Goals matter. The team needs to score goals. Having a figurehead like Haaland who can be relied upon to bang them in regularly is great, but we need regular contributions from a wide range of players, and the position Jack plays in means people will be looking to him to be one of the players who pitches in with a few.

But goals aren't the only thing, or even the main thing, that a player like Grealish brings to a squad, and although the goals aren't going in right now, I think he's been playing pretty well this season.

He's a tidy skillful and selfless player who keeps everything ticking along and facilitates us moving the ball up the pitch with sustained pressure. He rarely loses it, usually makes sensible passing decisions, and tends to draw opposing players to him, affording his teammates time and space they wouldn't otherwise have. He's always showing for the ball and never stops trying, even when things aren't going his way.

I'd love to see him taking more risks. I think he's one hell of a player when he makes those driving runs, carving through defences who simply can't get the ball off him. Obviously he can't do that all the time but I think there are occasions he could where at the moment he's choosing not to. And I'd love to see him shooting more, but I know it's a delicate balance between wanting to score more goals and the need to not be selfish and to lay it off to someone in a better shooting position.

Sterling scored a shit load of goals but, especially towards the end of his time at the club, got a lot of criticism for not quite fitting in with our style of play. Too many runs into dead ends, too much unnecessary possession turnover, too many shots that should have gone in but we're too tame or too wild. With Sterling on the pitch we sacrificed a little efficiency of build-up in order to have the presence of the goal threat, and as long as he was scoring it was worth it, especially when we didn't have a genuine striker.

Grealish has the opposite problem. Fits in very well with our style of play, keeps possession, patient in the build-up, a generous passer. But he doesn't personally get the goal contribution numbers.

I'd argue that as long as the team is scoring and winning with him on the pitch then it doesn't really matter whether or not he's one of the people actually scoring the goals. The problem will occur if we're in positions where we're desperate for a goal and it falls to him and he makes poor decisions.

Well then I do question you, from what I have witnessed, Jack has had incredible support, on this board unbelievable support. He has had very little abuse from the media considering his fee (relevant like it or not).

We had a player in Raheem Sterling that did divide, that did get some incredible abuse considering his contribution to our numerous titles, I would imagine City/Pep and Jack Grealish would love to have the numbers and performances in sky blue of Sterling.

I get the feeling Grealish is a very popular figure on and off the pitch and a vast majority simply want him to produce and be the player the club invested hugely to just that.
Not sure what we’re discussing here. Just to clarify - I started out by disputing a poster’s comments that statistics prove Jack has been a failure.

I like Jack & think he brings a lot to the team. He drives forward & creates space. He hasn’t scored many but as a team we have.

I believe he will become a very important part of our future.

But it’s all about opinions & patience & some fans have that - some don’t agree

I don't see them here actually what I've noticed here is that the same posters who never saw any good in Sterling and Jesus are the same posters defending a footballer who isn't half as talented as the other two players who, for some strange reason they just couldn't stand. I guess that saying is true, the heart likes what it likes.
I loved Sterling and Jesus, was very sad to see them go, and I think Grealish is valuable.

I do feel like the clock is ticking. Pep will have more patience with him than most of us do but the reality is that there are plenty of players who could come in at some point over the next year or two and improve on what Jack has been doing for us. If that happens then he essentially becomes a £100m rotation player and I don't think he'll settle for that.

I know people like to kid themselves into thinking that Grealish is some sort of thinking man's player who others aren't smart enough to see the benefits of but, as talented as he is and as much as I like his attitude, he plays in a position where he needs to have a direct impact on games and results but he rarely does.

That needs to change or else his transfer will end up being a failure. Not for us but for him; we won before him, we've won with him and we'll win after him. This is his chance to show he's genuinely got what it takes to be a world class player and not just a pretty Le Tissier.

He knows it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.