10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think thats true at all,he is putting defences on the back foot,creating plenty of space for others and playing with a smile on his face.....maybe things haven't quite come off in terms of stats......but confidence does not look an issue and i still maintain his presence offers us balance,possession,and an opportunity to be entertained that most players are not capable of.

I'm never going to change opinion for some,as minds were clearly been made up early,before he even got here in many cases.....but for some to post blatant nonsense about his contributions and his impact is just odd.
This is something some fans will never get - usually the ones who never go to games. That’s not a dig at them, you just don’t appreciate 50% of what players do unless you see the full picture

Minutes per goal in all competitions for everyone who's scored for us this season.

Haaland: 56
Alvarez: 132
Foden: 162
Mahrez: 266
De Bruyne: 461
Gundogan: 617
Silva: 673
Cancelo: 751
Stones: 821
Grealish: 949

Okay, yeah, he's bottom of the list.

If he'd scored one more goal in the same number of minutes this season, he'd be in De Bruyne territory. Are you really expecting better than that?

For what it's worth I'd love him to look more of a threat in front of goal, I'd love to see him bang some more in. I think he can work on it, and is, and has loads of room for improvement when it comes to goalscoring.

But is this really what we're quibbling over at this stage in the season? One or two goals being the difference between success and failure?

Genuine question for those who don't rate him because of goals.

Assuming his performance levels stayed the same, as did our results (as there's very few matches this season where he played significant minutes and we could have won more points), how many goals would he have needed to score so far this season in order for you to think he was playing reasonably well?
I am not one for thinking that a players total contribution can be measured solely in goals and assists. I loved Jesus when he was here, but I also accepted that for a forward player, in this team, he didn't quite cut it goals wise. On the flip side, Sterling and Mahrez delivered/deliver on goals, but for me didn't/don't cut it on overall performance levels. I mostly forgave Jesus for the lack of goals, because he offered the team more than just that, and I always said it was hard to knock any player who scores 20+ goals per season in Sterling and Mahrez case.

For Grealish, he certainly doesn't measure up on goals and assists. Now I would say that of any wide forward, in practically any side with his numbers. The numbers are simply not there and its magnified because he plays in the best side in the world, that just so happens to score lots of goals. It is almost impossible that his numbers are so low in this side. His overall performances not including G/A are kinda there. He offers the team far more in possession than Sterling did, or Mahrez does, but IMO not as much as Jesus did.

For me, this is why he divides opinion so much. He should score and assist more. He is decent enough in possession without setting the world alight. Our record with him in the team is excellent and that shouldn't be overlooked. Overall he is doing ok, but I doubt anyone thinks he is at the levels they expected when we signed him.

When I look at what has gone before wide left...Sane, Sterling, Foden and sometimes Jesus its hard for me to think that we haven't regressed in the wide left position with Grealish.

This is something some fans will never get - usually the ones who never go to games. That’s not a dig at them, you just don’t appreciate 50% of what players do unless you see the full picture
Yes, I hear the odd moans and groans about some players at the ground, usually this season Mahrez, but rarely Grealish and never to the extent I read on these threads.

Yes, I hear the odd moans and groans about some players at the ground, usually this season Mahrez, but rarely Grealish and never to the extent I read on these threads.
Agreed. The only player of Pep's era that I've heard get constant criticism during games at the Etihad is Sterling.

Pep seems to think he deserves to start and who are we to argue. More worrying is Phil's performances.

Sorry but I think we need some pace out there, it's just going backwards and sideways at the moment. The amount of times we have broken quickly recently only to see it all slow down when it has reached Jack or Mahrez has been very noticeable. I think Alvarez went left on just one occasion yet he beat the full-back and got a decent cross in with his 'weaker' foot. We got a lift on Saturday as the tempo was raised as soon as we made the changes otherwise it would probably been more of the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.