10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll say that if you post he offers nothing at all to to the team and hasn’t contributed anything at all since he joined then you know nothing about football and I’ll stand by that.
You don’t, you offer a fair assessment in your eyes and it’s usually from a valid standpoint even if I will sometimes disagree with you about it.

Yeh, fair play. I agree the pointless digs and needless “he’s shite” with no rationale is as wank as the ‘you don’t know what you’re talking about’ comments.

He’s the most worthy player for discussion currently. As his form and performance divide opinion. I’m not sure Bernardo, De Bruyne Haaland et al really need a performance thread..

He generally gets an unbelievable reception from us considering the relatively small impact he's had. He got the loudest cheers of anyone in the squad at the title parade and I mean by far the loudest. Kev was second and it wasn't even close. It's not just kids who idolise him and horny women, it's grown arse men.

I don't get it. There's a proper cult of personality thing going on and it makes it very hard to criticise him without getting people's backs up.

Last year everyone said "he'll get going in his second season" and now that his performances have pretty much stayed at the same level the goalposts have shifted to "oh actually, he's been great all along, you just don't understand football like me and Pep."
Very succinct. Nail on the head.

I attend games, have played at a good level and Grealish is no better at attracting players to the ball than any other decent pro who dribbles.

I agree it can be a strength but he doesn’t utilise the space he creates.

Look at Leeds’ winner vs the dippers. Young lad draws 3 players to him, then pierces the three men with a killer pass to end the game. I have seen Grealish in similar positions only to pass the buck.

This thread has so many posts because those who love Grealish no matter the performance have some weird condescending attitudes and some sort of
faux football intelligence superiority complex.

For me it’s simple. He’s a nice lad, seems very likeable, has done ok on the pitch but has been underwhelming to a worrying degree. We’ve heard excuse after excuses as to his bog standard return. Now we’re hearing that you don’t understand football if you don’t think he’s vital to our game.

The lad needs to wake up, his fee, his wages are beginning to look like a issue for him and his Almerion comments are making him look a total fool.

I understand football just fine, and he’s a player with similar attributes to Mahrez without the end product..
But, tougher on the ball and far more likeable personality.
Mate I think most of that is absolute bollox and if he was a 40mil signing like he should have been, then everyone would be just fine with him. It's not his fault someone put a 100m price tag on him. And the Almeron comments? A load of social media blown up rubbish over a little drunken comment. He Almeron was terrible last season. Not the cleverest of comments but hardly third world disaster news.Surprised at any City fan slagging him off for that. I don't "love" Grealish. That would be really weird for a 50 year old bloke. I just appreciate what he does because at the game you can see Pep shouting exact instructions to him, which he does like a model pro.
And I didn't say "people who don't go don't understand football just fine" I said you can't get an exact understanding watching on a TV, especially when you are getting brainwashed by the incompetent fuck whits commentating, who never actually tell you what's happening, and who's doing what - probably because they have their own agendas and are not - or can't - notice things.
Even though I think your take is bollox I still respect it haha. I'm sure you think mine are too :)
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

A look on jacks performances through this season. I dont know if its been posted here. Also i dont understand why so many expect jack to become something hes not ever been. Hes never been a goal scorer even at villa i think the most he had in a season was around 8. Hes important as pep continues to play him... Its also funny how he has become the scapegoat for so many kind of like sterling use to be but hes the player who funny enough hasnt been on the pitch for our dropped points in the prem this seaon. I wish against chelsea we could see him as an 8 in our system and be allowed the kind of freedom that kev and gundo get sometimes.

That's a really well written twitter thread, fully agree. I think you get the best Grealish when you pair him with a left footer, which is why I thought Gomez would kind of unlock him as Gomez can hold the width and the danger of a cross, and Grealish can play deeper and make ball carrying runs which he is best at. Bernie works well with him too. And that's exactly why Pep wanted him. He is stifled when paired with Cancelo or Gundogan.

Grealish is playing in a way that some fans on here don't like, he holds the ball, plays safe, makes passes to dangerous players, but some fans want him to be the goal scorer or to make that killer pass.

And while I agree that he still needs to add to his goals and assists and its obviously room for improvemnt, people tend to discount all the other sides of his game that Pep CLEARLY rates and likes.

The 100m price tag should not be involved in the discussions, he was never worth anything near that.

But he is definitely playing atleast within expectations of the staff, with that obvious room for improvement they will want from him.

That's a really well written twitter thread, fully agree. I think you get the best Grealish when you pair him with a left footer, which is why I thought Gomez would kind of unlock him as Gomez can hold the width and the danger of a cross, and Grealish can play deeper and make ball carrying runs which he is best at. Bernie works well with him too. And that's exactly why Pep wanted him. He is stifled when paired with Cancelo or Gundogan.

Grealish is playing in a way that some fans on here don't like, he holds the ball, plays safe, makes passes to dangerous players, but some fans want him to be the goal scorer or to make that killer pass.

And while I agree that he still needs to add to his goals and assists and its obviously room for improvemnt, people tend to discount all the other sides of his game that Pep CLEARLY rates and likes.

The 100m price tag should not be involved in the discussions, he was never worth anything near that.

But he is definitely playing atleast within expectations of the staff, with that obvious room for improvement they will want from him.
I think the 100m price tag is the main thing. If we got him for 10m (say for example) we would not be analysing his every move, and every back pass. Even Kev and Bernardo dont do things every time they have the ball. The 100m is not on Jack, its on us. Every time I watch I try to forget he is 100m and suddenly things don't look so bleak.

Not to mention that lad was bought to replace Bernie but he ended staying, which forced Pep to deploy him only on the wings. He simply does not have the pace to consistently beat his man. We should have known that long before we bought him. His strength is holding the ball really well in tight spaces.

However, I do think he needs to step up and win 2-3 matches on his own when things arent going in our way. Only then people view will change.

i don't really get this notion that he's somehow 'important' to the way we play. And then the justification for this is that his ball retention is good. Thats it, £100 million pounds, and his ball retention is good.

I genuinely think Palmer beats him hands down in terms of ability and effectiveness on the pitch when he's played.

Last edited:
Mate I think most of that is absolute bollox and if he was a 40mil signing like he should have been, then everyone would be just fine with him. It's not his fault someone put a 100m price tag on him. And the Almeron comments? A load of social media blown up rubbish over a little drunken comment. He Almeron was terrible last season. Not the cleverest of comments but hardly third world disaster news.Surprised at any City fan slagging him off for that. I don't "love" Grealish. That would be really weird for a 50 year old bloke. I just appreciate what he does because at the game you can see Pep shouting exact instructions to him, which he does like a model pro.
And I didn't say "people who don't go don't understand football just fine" I said you can't get an exact understanding watching on a TV, especially when you are getting brainwashed by the incompetent fuck whits commentating, who never actually tell you what's happening, and who's doing what - probably because they have their own agendas and are not - or can't - notice things.
Even though I think your take is bollox I still respect it haha. I'm sure you think mine are too :)
We'll just have to agree to disagree.

With all due respect my first season ticket was 1986/7. I have sat in block 120 for the better part of a decade and I’ve never once heard what any manager has been telling his players.

I can’t see anything I’ve said that’s not pretty accurate.

The fee isn’t his fault, his wages are though.
He’s not producing the performance that other players in his bracket are..

With all due respect my first season ticket was 1986/7. I have sat in block 120 for the better part of a decade and I’ve never once heard what any manager has been telling his players.

I can’t see anything I’ve said that’s not pretty accurate.

The fee isn’t his fault, his wages are though.
He’s not producing the performance that other players in his bracket are..
wall-talking.gif
Obviously I'm lying then about Pep's instructions
Let's leave it there then - although I'll let you have the last word if you need it ;)

i don't really get this notion that he's somehow 'important' to the way we play. And then the justification for this is that his ball retention is good. Thats it, £100 million pounds, and his ball retention is good.

I genuinely think Palmer beats him hands down in terms of ability and effectiveness on the pitch when he's played.
Whats 100 mill got to do with anything ? I doubt Pep thinks about it when he picks him, or any player. I know when I watch City I don’t watch thinking is this or that player doing what I expect for whatever fee. It’s just a team of 11 and is that team winning. If it is all good.of course when he plays hes important to how the team play, as are every player picked. How can Palmer beat him hands down in comparison he hardly plays in comparison, if he beat him hands down he’d play more often.

Whats 100 mill got to do with anything ? I doubt Pep thinks about it when he picks him, or any player. I know when I watch City I don’t watch thinking is this or that player doing what I expect for whatever fee. It’s just a team of 11 and is that team winning. If it is all good.of course when he plays hes important to how the team play, as are every player picked. How can Palmer beat him hands down in comparison he hardly plays in comparison, if he beat him hands down he’d play more often.
Head, meet brick wall. Have fun… :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.