10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why blame Mahrez for Grealishs performance, when Mahrez has a poor game, which is less often than Grealish, he can still pull something out (often scoring) other than retaining possession or falling over, Grealish contributing anything else is rarer than a Bluemoon.
Like the beautiful assist he laid off that Kevin should have buried and I don’t think Mahrez had a particularly good game.

I'd prefer to see a front 3 of:

Grealish Haaland Foden

I think this would work very well with a left footed LB and either Walker or Cancelo at RB.
Based on what? Going by the past year, I would say Grealish is behind Alvarez and Palmer.

I would prefer a front 3 of

Foden---Haaland---Alvarez/Palmer. I am sure most posters here would agree with that.

Really think he needs to be playing in the middle as an 8 to see the best of him. Doesn’t seem particularly well suited to the wide left role, especially when paired with another right footer in Cancelo at left-back. Makes the team seem a bit unbalanced.
That could be different with an actual left back to be fair

He got a lot of praise in the pre-season friendlies and seemed to look like one of our sharpest and most dynamic attacking players. And he's getting criticism for yesterday for not looking like that.

So, what's different?

I only saw highlights of the Club America match, and I watched Bayern but was admittedly half asleep for most of it. So can someone who's watched all three games closer enlighten me?

What was different, and why?

Was there something different in the way we deployed him? Was he expected to perform a slightly different role in the Community Shield vs the friendlies?

Or was he surrounded by different personnel playing in a different way?

Is it just that the opposition was better yesterday?

Or is it as simple as he just wasn't as good as he'd been in the friendlies?

Or is it the nature of his playing style that he gets praised when we win and criticised when we lose, even if he's doing broadly the same things?

He got a lot of praise in the pre-season friendlies and seemed to look like one of our sharpest and most dynamic attacking players. And he's getting criticism for yesterday for not looking like that.

So, what's different?

I only saw highlights of the Club America match, and I watched Bayern but was admittedly half asleep for most of it. So can someone who's watched all three games closer enlighten me?

What was different, and why?

Was there something different in the way we deployed him? Was he expected to perform a slightly different role in the Community Shield vs the friendlies?

Or was he surrounded by different personnel playing in a different way?

Is it just that the opposition was better yesterday?

Or is it as simple as he just wasn't as good as he'd been in the friendlies?

Or is it the nature of his playing style that he gets praised when we win and criticised when we lose, even if he's doing broadly the same things?
People saw what they wanted to see or rather they believed what they convinced themselves to believe.

So you spend £100m on a flair player but then want to muzzle his "natural strengths"? That makes absolutely no sense. And if that's what City did do, with the understanding that's what Pep intended, it was a really stupid move.

I'm going to try and have some faith for a bit longer that City did know what they were doing buying Grealish and that Pep has a plan for him that will see him able to utilise his strengths and justify the price City paid for him. I'm sure no one wants that more than Jack himself. Presumably they know at least part of the problem is the mismatch with Cancelo, which is why they've been trying to buy a LB to overlap and also do a decent job defensively, which will free Jack up to do his job, rather than having Cancelo in his space and also have Jack spending half his time on the pitch doing defensive work covering for Cancelo. (Surely I wasn't the only one to notice Jack was the one winning a ground duel with Salah yesterday in the LB's area of the pitch?)
Apart from their 1st goal when both Cancelo and Grealish lazily stood off Liverpool players.

"Grealish needs to focus on his game instead of getting involved in w8nning free kicks and trying yo wind up opposition players and fans "

Is that not what his games was always about?

Winning cheap free kick is simply not good enough, stay on your feet and make the opponent commit and take advantage.

I remember the time when the Birmingham fan came on the pitch and thumped him, he was pissed and took it out on the opposition and scored a wonder goal, that's the Grealish I want to see, the one that was getting into the faces of the rags last season.
Thats the exact problem

We dont need that in our team.....plus he aint good enough to justify it

Tevez use to do it to an extent but he was world class and could get away with it

Barton on the other had was a compete dick head and wasnt good enough to get away with it

I cant think of many players we have had over the last decade in our team that antagonises other players and fans like Grealish does and its detrimental to the team

There is a way of getting in teams faces and being aggressive without antagonising......

Grealish on yesterdays performance along with last year needs to improve......the start of this season for him is huge. Will he cement his place in the team or will he struggle......Im not sure he has the correct attitude at the moment...I konw he is supposedly a really nice guy etc and I dont doubt that but look at the professionalism of players like ruban Dias for instance, David Silva, Kompany and many more in the past...can he be that...I dont think he can (in terms of professionalism)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.