10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He got a lot of praise in the pre-season friendlies and seemed to look like one of our sharpest and most dynamic attacking players. And he's getting criticism for yesterday for not looking like that.

So, what's different?

I only saw highlights of the Club America match, and I watched Bayern but was admittedly half asleep for most of it. So can someone who's watched all three games closer enlighten me?

What was different, and why?

Was there something different in the way we deployed him? Was he expected to perform a slightly different role in the Community Shield vs the friendlies?

Or was he surrounded by different personnel playing in a different way?

Is it just that the opposition was better yesterday?

Or is it as simple as he just wasn't as good as he'd been in the friendlies?

Or is it the nature of his playing style that he gets praised when we win and criticised when we lose, even if he's doing broadly the same things?
simple he played more inside against bayern while against liverpool he was out wide and cancelo took his space inside.

look at his heat map yesterday.

1.PNG

see how little is on the edge within the box or centrally. now look at his heat map with villa,

2.PNG

see how much he drifts inside. especially notice the edge of the box using a overlap.

Based on what? Going by the past year, I would say Grealish is behind Alvarez and Palmer.

I would prefer a front 3 of

Foden---Haaland---Alvarez/Palmer. I am sure most posters here would agree with that.
No chance is he behind Palmer and Alvarez. For a start he plays on the left and they are more likely to be competing with Mahrez for a spot on the left.

Grealish is a superb player IMO. If we can get a left footed LB to overlap, then we will see just how good he is. My preferred option is Foden cutting in from the right and Grealish from the left.

Having said that, Foden is the better option while Cancelo is playing at LB. Cancelo cutting in and Foden going down the line.

I think Guardiola would prefer the width from the FB and the wide forward cutting in. While Cancelo plays with Grealish, we have 2 right footers that want to cut inside and then lose the threat down the line.

simple he played more inside against bayern while against liverpool he was out wide and cancelo took his space inside.

look at his heat map yesterday.

View attachment 51347

see how little is on the edge within the box or centrally. now look at his heat map with villa,

View attachment 51348

see how much he drifts inside. especially notice the edge of the box using a overlap.

Just curious, what is the source of these heat maps?

I'd prefer to see a front 3 of:

Grealish Haaland Foden

I think this would work very well with a left footed LB and either Walker or Cancelo at RB.
Grealish shouldn't be anywhere near our front 3....
Alvarez foden, Bernardo and mahrez all better....I'd even say it will be soon time to give Palmer mins ahead of him if the poor performances carry on

No chance is he behind Palmer and Alvarez. For a start he plays on the left and they are more likely to be competing with Mahrez for a spot on the left.

Grealish is a superb player IMO. If we can get a left footed LB to overlap, then we will see just how good he is. My preferred option is Foden cutting in from the right and Grealish from the left.

Having said that, Foden is the better option while Cancelo is playing at LB. Cancelo cutting in and Foden going down the line.

I think Guardiola would prefer the width from the FB and the wide forward cutting in. While Cancelo plays with Grealish, we have 2 right footers that want to cut inside and then lose the threat down the line.
Please tell me what you think he has done to deserve the tag of superb

David Silva was a superb player and even on his worst day, Grealish ain't fit to lock the shit from his boots.
Grealish is at present vastly overrated.
His whole attitude to playing football needs to change if he is going to fit into this team. There is talent bir that at the moment is about it

Grealish shouldn't be anywhere near our front 3....
Alvarez foden, Bernardo and mahrez all better....I'd even say it will be soon time to give Palmer mins ahead of him if the poor performances carry on
Only Foden of those is likely to play from the left. As I said, I'd play Foden with Cancelo or Grealish with a traditional LB (if we get one).

Grealish has to go in the center of the park for me, I could see him becoming a very good player in there.

He is never a top class wide player in a million years.
Problem again with this.....every other midfielder at the club is by far better than him centrally I'm every aspect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.