10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He did ok yesterday. Plays a bit too safe and goes down the line but then plays it back into the middle.

Needs to drive at full backs. Take them on get them turning in their own box. Just go for it. I remember pep saying that he works on the pitch so that in the final 3rd it’s up to the players to work it out themselves.

Looking "ripped" is not necessarily a sign of professionalism or a healthy lifestyle, trust me. I know bodybuilders and fitness experts who get completely wasted, totally coked out and high when they are on a night out.

Sounds lime you keep some special company.

He did ok yesterday. Plays a bit too safe and goes down the line but then plays it back into the middle.

Needs to drive at full backs. Take them on get them turning in their own box. Just go for it. I remember pep saying that he works on the pitch so that in the final 3rd it’s up to the players to work it out themselves.
he was never the one to beat fullbacks on the outside. doubt he is going to start doing that anytime soon. better he does what he is already good at

I am saying the player I watched was not amazing and what I have seen of him in our shirt is what I expected.

A wide player that does not score enough goals, creates little and is classed as successful because he gets fouled alot, personally I find that a weakness but each to their own.

"Creates little" is laughable.

Practically every metric you can look at shows Grealish as an elite creator.

I don't know that we're using him to the best of his ability. I don't know that he's better for our style of play than some of our other players. I agree he needs to be scoring more goals and taking more risks and all the rest of it.

But I don't think a lack of creativity is a fair assessment.

He'd be better if he used his left foot occasionally.
Agreed on this.

For starters, he's got a decent left-footed cross but uses it far too little.

So you spend £100m on a flair player but then want to muzzle his "natural strengths"? That makes absolutely no sense. And if that's what City did do, with the understanding that's what Pep intended, it was a really stupid move.

I'm going to try and have some faith for a bit longer that City did know what they were doing buying Grealish and that Pep has a plan for him that will see him able to utilise his strengths and justify the price City paid for him. I'm sure no one wants that more than Jack himself. Presumably they know at least part of the problem is the mismatch with Cancelo, which is why they've been trying to buy a LB to overlap and also do a decent job defensively, which will free Jack up to do his job, rather than having Cancelo in his space and also have Jack spending half his time on the pitch doing defensive work covering for Cancelo. (Surely I wasn't the only one to notice Jack was the one winning a ground duel with Salah yesterday in the LB's area of the pitch?)
Won the league last season with Jack. Not sure the club need to justify his purchase any further than that.

Who is next to get pounced on by the fans? Haaland had a stinker. Does the club need to justify his purchase? Big no 9 who does not fit our system? We did not utilise his strengths against Liverpool!

Tired argument. All of the players need to improve and contribute more. Dias is also still not firing, Foden quiet, Cancelo poor defensively, Ederson’s distribution was awful. I could go on and on but I am sure you get the point.

Gundo is the perfect example in this scenario. He was getting pelters by pep playing him out of position. Season before last he played in a more attacking role and pretty much scored a goal each game over the Christmas period and won us the title. Pep is asking Jack to do a job on the left and I am sure he has his reasons. Playing players out of position does not always work. Sterling/Foden as false 9 was atrocious.

Last edited:
he was never the one to beat fullbacks on the outside. doubt he is going to start doing that anytime soon. better he does what he is already good at
I don't think that I saw Grealish had a chance 1v1 TAA yesterday. Always TAA had Matip support and even one time I saw Salah TAA and Matip all on him.

Inverted winger tends to cut inside and it is the nature. Have you seen Foden beat the full back when he played RW in England shirt or City? It is just something normal.
No one questioned why Mahrez never manage to run to the byline.
And yesterday Grealish did at least once beat TAA and Matip on his own and made a pull back pass from the byline. But Halaand did not shoot quick enough and the ball was cleared by VVD.

Won the league last season with Jack. Not sure the club need to justify his purchase any further than that.

Who is next to get pounced on by the fans? Haaland had a stinker. Does the club need to justify his purchase? Big no 9 who does not fit our system? We did not utilise his strengths against Liverpool!
We really do have some horrible, negative cunts who follow us. Plus ca change.

Cards on the table, I am not a fan of Grealish. I never rated him at Villa and thought (when we bought him) he was a luxury we could have done without. We would have been much better off investing that kind of a money in a DM and a left back.

In his first season I was underwhelmed with his performances and judging by yesterday has has picked up where he left off.

If Pep is going to keep playing him on the left wing he has to be considered second choice to Foden in our best starting lineup.

I want him to come good and as I want all our players to come good, but I honestly don’t think he’s good enough. I hope I’m wrong but I dont think I am about this.
I agree with your assessment.
I just can't fathom why we would pay 100mill for Jack. I'm puzzled why Pep wanted him so badly...Especially when we are quibbling over much smaller fee's for other players (like a LB). But more than the inexplicable fee is the fact (imo) that he slows us down, our passing game is kind of interrupted when Jack gets the ball.
If he was banging in a few goals then his desire to hold onto the ball and tackle defenders could be "oh well that's Jack, he scores plenty though"........I agree Foden wins the left wing slot in a "best 11" scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.