10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The most depressing thing with city, and Grealish is a good example.. is that we have to listen to the pre match pundits slagging us off, then the commentators, then by that time all the bluemoaners are triggered into the same crap.

Pep rates him, he brings what he brought last night. Don't let our haters tell you otherwise.

I have no interest on how many mark him, I'm interested why you think he slows it down and goes backwards and you having played at this half decent level can see it and Pep can't, also why the games we have lost are the ones he didn't play.

It was highlighted at half time, he’d passed it to Ake 11 times in the first half. It was also highlighted that when De Bruyne found himself on the left, he burst into the space rather than what Grealish normally does.

He does go backwards a lot, he’s more often than not fouled with his back to goal. His back is to goal because he is going backwards..

If you think he’s an explosive front foot player, you’re wrong. His role in the second goal was explosive front foot football and directly resulted in a goal.

I personally don’t think Pep is over happy with him in general. That’s why he’s not frequently used in the biggest of games and there’s continued rumours both club and player are not 100% with each other.

I have never slagged the lad, never said he’s shit. I do want/expect more from him. I hope it comes, because he seems like a great lad.

Thought Grealish was beyond woeful first half. Was ok in the second half with one really pleasing piece of play that we need to see far more of.

But I have to say, this idea that teams double or triple up against him is a total myth.

The reasons he’s faced by 2/3 defenders is so obvious to anyone who’s played at half decent level. He takes too long on the ball, he slows everything down and dribbles across the pitch and backwards. This brings him into contest with other players. He doesn’t attack the space.. That's why he’s often crowded out.

He still needs to be much much better.
He does slow everything down - which is exactly what Pep tells him to do.

He was bought not because he was Villa's best attacking dribbler, but because he can hang on to the ball and slow the game down. Pep has spoken so many times about not wanting end to end uncontrolled football, and he's said very clearly that Grealish is the player he uses to do this.

Pep is considered by many as the best tactical manager in world football, and if he wanted Jack to play in a more risky, fast paced, attacking fashion, then that's what Jack would be doing.

Um just stfu. Do you think Mbappe wasn’t allowed to go on holiday? Grealish could always have said ”No, i’m ready to come back and train”. He didn’t even complete a full 90 mins during the whole wc for heaven’s sake stop making excuses. The type of detail in the mindset that Mbappe is showing can make or break a player in the process of becoming world class. Grealish just dosen’t want enough like Mbappe.
Lol. I don't think 'wanting it enough' is the difference between Mbappe and Grealish.

He does slow everything down - which is exactly what Pep tells him to do.

He was bought not because he was Villa's best attacking dribbler, but because he can hang on to the ball and slow the game down. Pep has spoken so many times about not wanting end to end uncontrolled football, and he's said very clearly that Grealish is the player he uses to do this.

Pep is considered by many as the best tactical manager in world football, and if he wanted Jack to play in a more risky, fast paced, attacking fashion, then that's what Jack would be doing.

There’s zero evidence of this. The idea that Pep doesn’t want Grealish to attack and create things is just daft.. He may like Grealish’s control. But he’ll almost certainly want him to impact the game where he can.

It was highlighted at half time, he’d passed it to Ake 11 times in the first half. It was also highlighted that when De Bruyne found himself on the left, he burst into the space rather than what Grealish normally does.

He does go backwards a lot, he’s more often than not fouled with his back to goal. His back is to goal because he is going backwards..

If you think he’s an explosive front foot player, you’re wrong. His role in the second goal was explosive front foot football and directly resulted in a goal.

I personally don’t think Pep is over happy with him in general. That’s why he’s not frequently used in the biggest of games and there’s continued rumours both club and player are not 100% with each other.

I have never slagged the lad, never said he’s shit. I do want/expect more from him. I hope it comes, because he seems like a great lad.

I thought at the time that the KDB bursting into space down the left for our goal was a shite comparison to make.

We were on the counter attack and KDB had acres of space to run into. Completely different to Grealish receiving it out wide with two Leeds players closing him down.

If you look at Mahrez and Foden, most of their passes go backwards as well. It’s almost as if Pep values control over needless risk taking.

The big criticism I have of Grealish is that he’s too slow when he finds himself inside the opposition box. Once he plays with a bit more conviction then the goals will come.

As much as he's said in the press that stats don't bother him, I think it's an obvious monkey on his back. Bagging two assists last night was a good start, but he needs to be adding goals to that tally (and will be kicking himself for not converting a couple last night).

Second half performance will hopefully build some confidence for him, but I feel like Grealish has been victim to Pep roulette whenever it looks like he's starting to come good. I do worry if he's rotated for Foden (or anyone else) next game it's almost a reset for him and we'll be back having the same conversation.

I'd like to see him get a run of starts under his belt, notch some assists/goals and I think he'll kick on from there - I don't think being in and out has helped him (I appreciate few players in this squad are shielded from that though).

I never said he was explosive, I think Pep wants control not explosive which is why he gets picked above Foden quite often.Is Pep completely happy with him no. can he improve yes as Pep said last night. Then Pep thinks all players can improve. If you think he gets picked as often as he does but isn't doing what Pep requires him to , then you are wrong, Pep doesn't pick players not doing what he requires of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.