10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bingo , also Pep was massively at fault today with his tactics and very late subs, but he doesn't get the flack because he has produced so many many times.

Grealish himself said he had to score more and produce more this summer, he hasn't done that so far but that is just ignored by the happy clappers on here.
I think what annoys most about Grealish is we have a clearly better option.... that he plays in his favoured/best position, as he did at Villa......and we have Foden sat on his arse on the bench when he's a better player who offers so much more in the same position. It's a bit like watching Samaras up front whilst benching Haaland.

It used to be unfair criticism, but we've passed the bedding-in-phase. I was happy to give him a season to make the step up, but he's just not improving. Just once, I'd like him to spend an entire game running at defenders, not stopping a ball dead, and then proceeding to pass to his fullback or drifting aimlessly into the centre. When we signed him I was ecstatic, because there's a technically brilliant player in there, somewhere. But what we've seen so far is mostly insipid. Criticising the likes of Bernie, KDB, Gundo etc would be unfair, because they've proved brilliant assets over the years. Jack has yet to assert himself. If this is the best we're going to get from him, then it isn't enough. It's as simple as that.
Think this sums up the dilemma. He should be intelligent enough to keep the ball but to spot opportunities to drive forwards quickly and take people on. The game v Chelsea in the league Cup was a great example of what can be done. If he can't do that more often then I fear we won't get value from him

I’ve been one of his biggest fans but when a game is as stationary and dull as that was today, you can’t be having one of your most direct players constantly running inside and passing backwards.

It’s all well and good being part of the ‘keep the ball’ mantra but he needs to spot opportunities to be direct too and he’s just not doing that anywhere near enough. I can think of one time he did it today and that felt out of the ordinary.

It’s a shame because when he does it consistently (Copenhagen and Chelsea at home) it’s a thrill to watch.

I’ve been one of his biggest fans but when a game is as stationary and dull as that was today, you can’t be having one of your most direct players constantly running inside and passing backwards.

It’s all well and good being part of the ‘keep the ball’ mantra but he needs to spot opportunities to be direct too and he’s just not doing that anywhere near enough. I can think of one time he did it today and that felt out of the ordinary.

It’s a shame because when he does it consistently (Copenhagen and Chelsea at home) it’s a thrill to watch.
......and he needs to offer this, we have obviously lost some creativity with Haaland, compared with whoever played Central last season, or false 9 for you youngsters ;) .....and with Grealish playing so negatively most of the time, we look totally toothless most of the time. Haaland sticks it in the net, Grealish keeps possession.....neither create much....one of them (easy answer) needs to.

19 apps this season and has only contributed a goal or assist in two of them. 17 games out of 19 without a direct contribution from a forward position is laughable.

And for all his supporters, if this was sterling, sane, Mahrez, Jesus, foden ect with the same output you wouldnt be telling everyone how fantastic they are.

In my opinion he has had long enough to to show what he can do, we all went easy on him first season hoping he would somehow improve by now. One of the clubs worst decisions in recent times to spend what we did on him. Lovely bloke but just not good enough for me.

Think this sums up the dilemma. He should be intelligent enough to keep the ball but to spot opportunities to drive forwards quickly and take people on. The game v Chelsea in the league Cup was a great example of what can be done. If he can't do that more often then I fear we won't get value from him
It depends on how often he plays with a left back. He is no difference from that Chelsea game. The difference is the left back and the system.

By the way I do think that his general play good today and perhaps even better than Leeds game and produced several good sequence of play before he got kicked in the knee.

That heel pass to KDB then KDB slipped onto the floor summed things up.

19 apps this season and has only contributed a goal or assist in two of them. 17 games out of 19 without a direct contribution from a forward position is laughable.

And for all his supporters, if this was sterling, sane, Mahrez, Jesus, foden ect with the same output you wouldnt be telling everyone how fantastic they are.

Did he play well in the Derby? A game without any direct goal contributions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.