10 | Jack Grealish - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbf though mate he was shite for 90% of the Leeds game and Haaland did the majority of the work coupled with a class KDB ball for one of his ‘assists’

So yea not wanted to slate him for slating him reasons but taking them away his overall game was as ineffective as it was yesterday.
I thought whilst he didn’t have an end product at Leeds, in the first half particularly, he was a threat, got into some great positions and could/should have scored two goals but for his own poor finishing.

Yesterday he just didn’t look a threat to me at all.

Just returning to this interview from when he first joined us.

Says he's had a long chat with Pep, specifically "about positions" and when asked what his best position would be in our line-up he says as one of the 8s, or if we ever play a 10, or either wing, or he'd give the false 9 a go. I'm assuming that's his order of preference.

I certainly remember the rumours when we bought him being that Pep planned to play him centrally alongside KDB.

I'm assuming plans got changed when Bernardo stayed, and also Phil being injured at the beginning of last season meant it made sense for Jack to play on the left.

But I really don't see him as a touchline-hugging winger.

Take my hat off to those few blue mooners who, despite being New Years Day, can spend all day slagging off one of our own players.

Surely to fuck, you have all said what you need to by now
that's the problem with moaning fuckers , never tired of their own voice

I wish the Grealish jizz brigade would make up their minds. They tells us he is already doing a great job in holding the ball and providing the 16th key pass before a goal (no one better apparently) or he is played in the wrong position and City should change formation to accommodate him...... Which one is it????
A good 20 mins in 18 months... FFS put the club before the player, your mental gymnastics to justify his performances is getting very dipperish.

Maybe I watched a very different game. I watched a foreign stream with professional commentary. The commentators were not Grealish fans and had criticized his performance in the past. But yesterday they praised his play and said him&Mahrez were very good in the first half. They said that Patterson had a tough time, especially after the yellow card. However in the 2nd half, both City wingers started to lose the stream and tired out while subs were really needed to keep the pressure. They were calling to have either Gundo for Bernado/Kev or get fresh wingers on. After Grealish knee incident and Coleman sub, it was clearly Grealish could no longer get something from this side.

Overall it seemed I watched or the commentary I listened to watched a very different game from some of the posters here. Grealish played a largely good game, was a key contributor to the goal, gave their right hand side a tough game with little support and to force them making subs, made good defensive contribution to stop the counter with the risk of a knee injury. However his stream went off slowly in the 2nd half (which was understandable given he played in Leeds). Some fans might only think about his last 5 min or so performance while ignoring that the opposition had made changes and so on. It was more on Pep getting subs too late. You have to either sub him off or sub a fresh player on the left hand side (eg Foden/Cancelo/Gundo) to keep the things up.

IMO Grealish Haaland and Mahrez played an overall good game. However the midfield three were poor. It was more down to Pep refusing to sub either KDB or Bernado off with Gundo (who is more in form IMO) when they clearly had a nightmare.

Personally I hope that Grealish makes a move in the summer. It is not cuz I don't rate him or think badly of him. But sometimes we have to accept that when a player reaches 25+ years old their style of play are settled. IMO Grealish is a type of player who needs left side overlapping. Either he plays as a midfielder with a left winger on his left side, or he players as a left winger with left back support. However it is very against Pep's system of 3-2-5 or 2-3-5 with inverted left back and we all know how much Pep loves his ideal system. And city simply does not have left back overlapping. I don't think that Grealish is good enough to make Pep changing the system for him. So it is better to let him go.

Last edited:
Bob, my memory ain’t perfect that’s for sure, I wasn’t defending Bony. I do think our expectations are higher now than they were in 2008, 2009 and 2010 though, no?
We’re also dining at the top table now not taking scraps from Chelsea, Arsenal etc.

If you pay 100M imho you should be signing the very best, absolute elite players, I never thought Jack was ever in this category and you can go through his transfer thread at the time, I was fairly vocal about not believing he was the player we should have been looking for. I always back him when he’s on the pitch but I think he should be on it a lot less in our front 3, he’s not good enough for that position for our current requirements/ expectations

We have much better players who should be playing in that position, our very own Phil Foden for one! Ask yourself why the red shirted media aren’t complaining he ain’t playing now, I’ll give you a clue it’s because we are a much worse team with Grealish playing instead of Foden.
Sorry, mate, I was a bit hostile before. Shouldn't have been. Apologies.

To be honest, I felt the same as you when we were linked with Grealish. The idea of spending £250m on Grealish & Kane was something I was against. Then when it appeared we were committed to Grealish after all, I was a little hesitant and wondered what he could bring to City that, say, in 2021, Oyarzarbal couldn't. But by the time we reached Christmas last season I'd changed my mind on him completely. I started to see, and still see, a lot of value in him. I think him and Foden together either side of Haaland is our best front three. I'd love to see them play together more often. Needs to do more in terms of contributing to G/A but his presence improves our other attackers.

Loads of our players (and Pep) all keep saying the same thing about Grealish - that he makes things less chaotic, he attracts 2/3 opposition players to enable the likes of Bernardo, Gundogan, De Bruyne, Foden, etc. to flourish in more space. He's the pace-setter in the team. I think the problems we've suffered from this season have largely come about in games he's missed. Newcastle, Villa, Liverpool, Brentford. Until yesterday against Everton we'd won every single game he'd started this season (in the league anyway). Our win percentage when he starts is higher than when he's benched/dropped. He's been here long enough now for that not to be a coincidence. He needs to do more himself, but I like that he's deferential and allows others to excel - reminds me of Barry, Javi Garcia, Nasri.

Agreed that Foden should be starting more but over Mahrez instead on that right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.