10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure it’s a dilemma Pep will know which games suit Grealish and which Doku, plus Doku can play right and rest Foden. So he can play both. I ‘d expect Grealish to play the bigger games though.
For the moment yes but Doku could quickly reach a level where he’s pretty much undroppable. Grealish was class against utd but the amount of one on one’s we got him in Doke might have absolutely destroyed them. Great couple of options to have and Doku showed a glimpse of what he can do on the right for Bernardo’s first yesterday so sure there will be plenty of games where they both start.

I think we'll see Jack being Pep's regular 'go to' on the left when we get to the business end of the season, particularly in the CL games.

The business end of the season is in 5 months. By that time Doku might be one of the first names on the team sheet. That's what I expect. His potential is that high. We'll need Grealish to win things, top player and top lad.

For the moment yes but Doku could quickly reach a level where he’s pretty much undroppable. Grealish was class against utd but the amount of one on one’s we got him in Doke might have absolutely destroyed them. Great couple of options to have and Doku showed a glimpse of what he can do on the right for Bernardo’s first yesterday so sure there will be plenty of games where they both start.
I think he'll get to this level quicker than most think. Has retention, take on, goals + assist. Now needs to develop elite finishing and improve final ball.

Really do not see Doku's briliant form will bother Jack , two totally different players Pep will play Doku against teams with a "low block" to open them up and Jack will play in the big games were possession is vital and we need to control games , both will get plenty of games just count our blessings we have so many top class footballers at our disposal

And they will both start together in some games.

Doku has unquestionably played better on the left than the right since his arrival but Pep wants him produce the same level on the right.

The business end of the season is in 5 months. By that time Doku might be one of the first names on the team sheet. That's what I expect. His potential is that high. We'll need Grealish to win things, top player and top lad.
There's a lot of football to be played over those 5 months. Thankfully, they are all top lads!

Anyone think that it is time to try Jack as an 8 with Doku wide left?
I think that maybe we might be slowly moving towards that. If Jack's on the wing and the left 8 is someone who can play on the wing, so Bernardo or Phil, then they often interchange and overlap throughout the game - I thought this was particularly effective and exciting with Bernardo in the derby.

Occupying central spaces in some circumstances during a match isn't the same as being trusted to start in that positon and own it for 90 mins, but I'd love to see him given the chance. He always looks most threatening and creative in that half-space, and I think in the past couple of years he's proven his work-rate and defensive qualities enough for that role.

Pep loves the tactic of holding the ball on one wing in order to make room to switch it to the other, though, and it might just be that what he values most in Jack is his gravity, the way he draws so many opponents to him and that opens up so much space for everyone else - and if you're using that tactic it makes sense to have your player who does that way out wide, to maximise the rest of the space.

He has the skillset to move inside, but he himself says he takes time to learn things.

Pep is a hard master to please in midfield. Foden can’t get much time there. Grealish isn’t likely to anytime soon.
I think this is it. You have to be an incredibly intelligent footballer to play in midfield for Pep and that is seemingly the main reason it hasn't worked out for Phillips and is possibly why Foden and Grealish aren't trusted to play there yet. It will be interesting to see if either of them move inside eventually but out of the two I think Foden has more chance simply because he has more time to learn the role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.