10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a game changer when one is needed. Just does the safe stuff which isn't enough.
People have short memories and forgot how many times Grealish changed the game last season. He put into a good cross but the other side cannot shot to save the life.

Considering how quick Haaland is, we rarely utilise it. You've got a 6'5" strong striker that could leave most centre backs for dust in terms of speed, and we don't seem to see it as an option when other things don't work. I'll never understand that.

It's not like it's not on either, he tries that run many times in a game and nobody looks up.

It's funny really, if I was a CB coming up against Haaland, the one thing I'd probably want to avoid is a foot race with him where he can also knock you over. I think most defenders would prefer to play against him in the box where they can double up, rather than having to run with him.
I think that we saw him 1v1 facing VVD right? And the Arsenal CBs are actually performing the best among the league this season. Not sure if it would work today.

I think that we saw him 1v1 facing VVD right? And the Arsenal CBs are actually performing the best among the league this season. Not sure if it would work today.

You're picking out very individual moments there. Most defenders can't live with him in that situation.

VVD did OK in that situation, but it's one situation and he didn't exactly stop Haaland getting the ball onto his stronger foot and shooting did he? It was a poor effort just as much as decent defending. VVD knew he couldn't risk getting close to Haaland as he might get smoked, so he backed off and Haaland did get a shot away. The right choice by VVD but it wasn't without its risk either way. He wasn't able to prevent a shot, he wasn't able to to show Haaland down his weaker side, he just forced a more difficult angle but players can still finish from there. This is the point, on another day the outcome might be different because Haaland still wasn't completely nullified in that situation. Nobody can completely shut him out when he has space to go into and his speed and physicality can be used.

Those arsenal defenders did well doubling up, but that's because our slow build up style allowed them. If we look for quicker balls through to Haaland, there's much more chance of a defender being isolated against him and they wouldn't fancy that at all.

But we don't seem to really try to make that happen as much as we could.

I'd definitely like to see him as a CM.

Look at the facts. He rarely loses the ball, which is a big plus at CM. Defensively he's pretty good too when he has to be. He is actually excellent at running with the ball when he's more central, he's great at shielding the ball when running in possession and can go past players once he gets moving.

I've always said Jack hasn't got great acceleration off the mark, but he can shift and keep the ball when he gets going. This to me is the big problem at LW, you only get 5 yards of space, and he doesn't trust his acceleration off the mark, so he's reluctant to try to beat his man on the outside. But you see when he has space to run into that he's very hard to get the ball off.

When you look at all his traits, you see why he pretty much had a free role at Villa. I think sticking him out so wide is really taking away a lot of his abilities.

Of course he will do a job out wide, sometimes a very good job because he's an intelligent player, but I'd like to see that Intelligence in a position that can utilise his abilities better.

But of course, Pep sees him every day and has forgotten more than us shitkickers on a forum will ever know about football, so I guess he has his reasons.

But I don't think it takes a football genius to realise the best traits of grealish aren't best utilised in such a confined area of the pitch.
A bit of a mystery why he never gets played centrally….got all the attributes plus he’s the ball carrier we bought Nunes for.

A bit of a mystery why he never gets played centrally….got all the attributes plus he’s the ball carrier we bought Nunes for.
This.

People say “oh well Pep clearly sees stuff in training we don’t” but even taking that into account, it makes NO SENSE why he’s never played centrally. His qualities aren’t suited to being stuck on the left byline. He ends up being the sacrificial cog for the team to draw in defenders but he’s insanely good in a free roaming role and he does the talking on the pitch in terms of three crucial elements: ball retention, ball carrying and defensive work. And as someone else mentioned, once he gets going he’s got some serious pace running down the pitch.

He does it 100 x better than Nunes and would be an improvement on Kova (who’s not doing a bad job himself IMO).

I remain convinced Pep has some kind of issue with him, as to what that is I’m baffled as no one else at the club appears to. And unlike some players, I’ve not seen him make disastrous costly errors in a game, he’s consistently a 7/10+ when he plays.

Slow and controlled WIDE wingers allows the explosive attacking mid players to thrive.

Grealish, Bernie (and Stones) unlocked Kev and Gundogan last season.

I dont see Pep asking Grealish to sit next to Rodri in midfield and push up, that doesnt make sense to me.

Nor is he explosive enough to be the midfielders next to the striker, thats kdB or Foden or Alvarez.

This.

People say “oh well Pep clearly sees stuff in training we don’t” but even taking that into account, it makes NO SENSE why he’s never played centrally. His qualities aren’t suited to being stuck on the left byline. He ends up being the sacrificial cog for the team to draw in defenders but he’s insanely good in a free roaming role and he does the talking on the pitch in terms of three crucial elements: ball retention, ball carrying and defensive work. And as someone else mentioned, once he gets going he’s got some serious pace running down the pitch.

He does it 100 x better than Nunes and would be an improvement on Kova (who’s not doing a bad job himself IMO).

I remain convinced Pep has some kind of issue with him, as to what that is I’m baffled as no one else at the club appears to. And unlike some players, I’ve not seen him make disastrous costly errors in a game, he’s consistently a 7/10+ when he plays.

I don't agree with the last part. Pep trusted him in all the huge games last season. I don't think he has any issue with him.

As to why he's never really been tried in CM, I have no idea, I guess only Pep knows.

I doubt it's anything personal, otherwise he wouldn't start in such huge games. Maybe he just simply trusts Grealish out on the left more than anyone else, especially in terms of controlling the game and chipping in defensively.

It might just be a case of him being the best option in that scenario, rather than thinking he's incapable of playing in the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.