10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
My main criticism is mainly about shooting the ball.

His ball control, tempo, and chance creation through cut and cross is all good.

But his finishing is so slow and so choreographed that I beliebe the club should give him some special 1v1 coaching on how to improve this aspect.

Just expecting him to naturally figure it out is not good. Ideally he also could hire his own coach.

Phil did something akin to this, he hired his own personal "sprinting" coach on how to improve his stride and Phil who was never a quick player looks pretty good in this department now.

This was not the club, the player sought it out.

Just hope Grealish seeks something out or the club this time.
This is my one gripe about him.

It’s like he gets his phone out to message the defenders saying, ‘I’m going to cut inside and shoot in a minute so get yourselves ready’. He takes a while to get himself set, takes a while to balance himself, to swing his leg back and strike the ball… and defenders just read it most of the time.

It wasn’t so bad in the past because we had so many goalscorers but he has to step his scoring up this season. It’s something he pretty much has to improve and add to his game now.

View attachment 90892

It's very important to read his full interview rather than just an excerpt of his interview.
Strange way to prove the correct quote with a fat red box around and the crucial part about Jack is still misquoted. Spreading fake news...

"With Jack, still have not the brilliance you know in the final third...",
is what I can make out (from 3:50 on).

Anyone can see Jack's decision making should improve to create more chances, and Pep does too. But Jack's work rate is superb and that's easy to see as well. Needs to take his head up to better find Erling.

He is never going to be consistent goal scorer, he never show that in Villa and i doubt he will do it in City either.

There's more to Grealish than him being scorer and that's fine imo.

No issue with his style of play, he does what he's supposed to do and he's never gonna be a guy getting 10 goals + 10 assists a season

What infuriates me is when he flat out refuses to go down the outside, I know he wants to cut in but every now and then he can mix it up so they don't know what he's gonna do
When he does go down the outside he often gets something positive out of it, whether that’s a corner, free kick or a run at the box.

We know that Pep has insisted that Jack's game is about retaining the ball , but I can't believe that the coaches are not working on his shooting.

Too often he seems to delay too long before getting a shot away, which allows the defender(s) to block his attempts. From his past history he is never going to be prolific, but with his control and ability, i would expect his goal numbers to be better.

Although very happy with his overall contributions his goals tally is an area which if improved would certainly add to his game.

I’d rather he stick to the wing for more Foden time in the middle….if it’s a choice between the two ?
I think they could compliment each other quite nicely, as long as there was strong base behind them and capable pace out wide. When you watch the footage of him from his Villa days, you appreciate how much more of a midfield playmaker he was. I don’t think we’ve had a wide player (Sane, Sterling, Bernardo, Mahrez, Palmer) under Guardiola who hasn’t faced criticism at some point over their lack of production, so it just happens to be Grealish’s turn. It could well be that he would be able to create more from a central position if we had someone else to hold the right.

I think they could compliment each other quite nicely, as long as there was strong base behind them and capable pace out wide. When you watch the footage of him from his Villa days, you appreciate how much more of a midfield playmaker he was. I don’t think we’ve had a wide player (Sane, Sterling, Bernardo, Mahrez, Palmer) under Guardiola who hasn’t faced criticism at some point over their lack of production, so it just happens to be Grealish’s turn. It could well be that he would be able to create more from a central position if we had someone else to hold the right.
Could be interesting to see them both in the middle but not sure Pep would go for that - you never know with Pep!

Could be interesting to see them both in the middle but not sure Pep would go for that - you never know with Pep!
Guardiola sometimes has to react and adapt to extenuating circumstances (it’s not always planned), and this year the early absence of de Bruyne may force him to try something different. One of the bonuses of signing highly intelligent and technically gifted players is that they can play in most positions, so I’ve every confidence we will be okay. I also sense that a more open formation might play to Haaland’s strengths.

I am not sure if he is an attacker any more! Last game Grealish and Walker played as wing backs. I would say it will be difficult to add more goals from a wing back view.

Why don't we just buy a real wing back I would never know!
His name is Sergio Gomez, but but I’m not sure Pep rates him as either a wing or a back!

This is my one gripe about him.

It’s like he gets his phone out to message the defenders saying, ‘I’m going to cut inside and shoot in a minute so get yourselves ready’. He takes a while to get himself set, takes a while to balance himself, to swing his leg back and strike the ball… and defenders just read it most of the time.

It wasn’t so bad in the past because we had so many goalscorers but he has to step his scoring up this season. It’s something he pretty much has to improve and add to his game now.

It's so obvious I can't believe we aren't coaching it out of him. Even when he gets enough space and time to get his shot off, by the time he's swung that massive calf someone has put their foot in front to block his shot. Seems to try to whack it as hard as he can every time which gives any and every defender the chance to block it (whilst also being predictable about exactly what he's got to do). Sometimes just placing it and being a bit quicker getting the shot off would probably do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.