10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a game we normally won like 4-0 went 2-1 because Haaland and Alvarez had a bad day. It happens.

Nobody would criticize a single thing if it did.

Grealish and Bernie played well against the low block.

The combo of them helped us win the treble, maybe people forgot that.

Its perhaps not sexy because they both play slow and methodical, but we usually balance that with chaotic midfielders behind Haaland.

Alvarez just isnt quite there yet, while Kovacic is more control and less goals.

But people shouldn't worry, we got plenty of chaos players on the bench in Foden and Doku to help the control players.

In a game we normally won like 4-0 went 2-1 because Haaland and Alvarez had a bad day. It happens.

Nobody would criticize a single thing if it did.

Grealish and Bernie played well against the low block.

The combo of them helped us win the treble, maybe people forgot that.

Its perhaps not sexy because they both play slow and methodical, but we usually balance that with chaotic midfielders behind Haaland.

Alvarez just isnt quite there yet, while Kovacic is more control and less goals.

But people shouldn't worry, we got plenty of chaos players on the bench in Foden and Doku to help the control players.
Again, this is not about the controlled style that both wingers are generally know for. Grealish was particularly indecisive. This is above and beyond just performance style.

I don't know how to explain it, but on several ( perhaps a majority of the occasion) he did this thing where he holds the ball under his feet and contemplates what to do next.

There was an air of 'I'm better than you and you can't get this ball off me' attitude to it all. But unfortunately, every time he did this, the whole play slowed down and movements came to a halt.

He really needs to kick that habit fast. I'm sure Pep would source it out soon.

Now he's at times "unplayable". Good grief.
He didn't turn up in the biggest game he'll likely ever play , 12 months previous he arguably cost us a place in the champions League final by being unable to put the several one on ones he had with the madrid keeper away. Had he I doubt the dramatic collapse ever happens. He's a good player but nowhere near a great one, at least not yet.
Ahhh so Jack is the scapegoat for the Madrid loss last year. What about all the other sitters that our other players missed during both legs?

Grealish is most like Bernardo in our team. One gets vilified for not enough goal actions, whereas the other is praised to the hilt with fewer goal actions.

Premier league last season.

Grealish 5 goals, 7 assists.
Bernardo 4 goals, 5 assists.

Now I only mention this as the people demanding more from Grealish point at stats, whereas the ones defending Grealish point to his role in the team and what he brings in other aspects of our play.

Bernardo is exactly the same and isn’t a stats monster, but vital in how we build up and create.
I don’t understand people who can’t see this. Grealish isn’t going to score 25 goals a season, he offers something different to goals. We’ve won the treble with him starting on the left playing a key part, it’s no surprise that the angry mob are back after a few games gone. I’ll take a guess and predict this thread will be dead in May when he plays another key part in another title win.

Again, this is not about the controlled style that both wingers are generally know for. Grealish was particularly indecisive. This is above and beyond just performance style.

I don't know how to explain it, but on several ( perhaps a majority of the occasion) he did this thing where he holds the ball under his feet and contemplates what to do next.

There was an air of 'I'm better than you and you can't get this ball off me' attitude to it all. But unfortunately, every time he did this, the whole play slowed down and movements came to a halt.

Under the current system the job of the wingers is to make sure that City's defensive shape is set before attacking, to try and disrupt their defensive shape by dragging players out of position, and to make room for Haaland and whoever is the attacking midfielder by staying out high and wide before cutting in. Their main job is really to make pockets of space for other players. It's more obvious on Bernie's side as last season he more often than not made room for Kev's assists to Haaland. Getting the timing on this against a defensive block is difficult, and the whole team was a bit slow in the first half, but he's not doing it because he's arrogant, he's doing it because that's his literal job.

No that is the exact reason why Pep signed him. He likes Grealish's style : stopping before dribbling.

Quote from Pep in his first interview after Grealish transfer.

"It was the first time I saw him playing," said Pep. "Years ago, when I saw him for the first time.

“Sometimes it’s not possible, you have the squad, you have to invest in other parts of the team which are weaker but especially when I saw him on TV, I said this guy controls the tempo I love when he has the ball he stops before the dribble and the opponent stops as well.

IMG_4540.png
Pep might want him to be more direct and active at times, but only when the time is right. Pep would much rather keep the football and control the game. Not every attack will result in a goal. Most crosses don’t result in goals.

Therefore Pep will tell him to stop, go back and recycle the ball to see if there is a better position to attack from. Then use the cross on the outside as a rare, surprise option so that the opposition aren’t all marking Haaland out of the game.

Under the current system the job of the wingers is to make sure that City's defensive shape is set before attacking, to try and disrupt their defensive shape by dragging players out of position, and to make room for Haaland and whoever is the attacking midfielder by staying out high and wide before cutting in. Their main job is really to make pockets of space for other players. It's more obvious on Bernie's side as last season he more often than not made room for Kev's assists to Haaland. Getting the timing on this against a defensive block is difficult, and the whole team was a bit slow in the first half, but he's not doing it because he's arrogant, he's doing it because that's his literal job.
Again, none of what you've said changes my point. I understand the job of the winger And his role. And he isn't the only one who plays on the wing. So you can compare what he does and how he does it to others like Bernado, Foden etc.

He just has a problem with holding the ball a little too long and killing or making drives harder to materialize.

On a side note I was watching a highlight video of Kovacic first 5 games with us, and I think on the second involvement, there was Grealish doing that very thing in trying to explain here...

Let me try to explain it better. He often tries to be the guy to make the final intelligent pass, and in the process often holds on to the ball just a little too long looking for that pass rather than passing it off early and moving in other to continue creating the angles and spaces that actually develop from the early and quick movement of the ball. And in fact this is what pulls the defense apart. Not your individual brilliance at holding the ball and seeing the magic pass.

It's not a tactical thing. It's a flaw in his game. And he needs to get better at it for us to be better.

No that is the exact reason why Pep signed him. He likes Grealish's style : stopping before dribbling.

Quote from Pep in his first interview after Grealish transfer.

"It was the first time I saw him playing," said Pep. "Years ago, when I saw him for the first time.

“Sometimes it’s not possible, you have the squad, you have to invest in other parts of the team which are weaker but especially when I saw him on TV, I said this guy controls the tempo I love when he has the ball he stops before the dribble and the opponent stops as well.
I'm not complaining about holding up the dribble. Their is a flaw in his decision making that often forms a part of our being bugged down. There are times when dribbling is not the right decision. But once you diagnose that, the correct decision is to immediately pass it and reset.

That ' immediately pass it decision ' is often lacking in Grealish. He waits, then the defense comes closer to his outlet and reseys behind him, and then he passes it on, which reduces opportunity.

This should not be confused with his ability to keep the ball under pressure or hold up the play when there are no outlets. These are different scenarios.

Pep is genuinely praising the latter, but the former is xn issue. It's glaring to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.