10 | Jack Grealish - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 91843
Pep might want him to be more direct and active at times, but only when the time is right. Pep would much rather keep the football and control the game. Not every attack will result in a goal. Most crosses don’t result in goals.

Therefore Pep will tell him to stop, go back and recycle the ball to see if there is a better position to attack from. Then use the cross on the outside as a rare, surprise option so that the opposition aren’t all marking Haaland out of the game.
I agree. But recycling is more potent when it happens early. The issue is the unnecessary holding on to the Ball...

I agree. But recycling is more potent when it happens early. The issue is the unnecessary holding on to the Ball...
I get what you are saying as I have said similar in games, but it must be what Pep wants as he is hardly ever dropped or rotated.

There could be an argument that Pep, (like most managers) get more conservative/defensive as they age. I’ve not formed it fully in my mind, but most older managers seem more pragmatic than dynamic.

Pep would rather win 2-0 and totally dominate the ball over winning 4-0 whilst giving up more transitions and be lucky in not conceding a goal.

Let me try to explain it better. He often tries to be the guy to make the final intelligent pass, and in the process often holds on to the ball just a little too long looking for that pass rather than passing it off early and moving in other to continue creating the angles and spaces that actually develop from the early and quick movement of the ball. And in fact this is what pulls the defense apart. Not your individual brilliance at holding the ball and seeing the magic pass.

It's not a tactical thing. It's a flaw in his game. And he needs to get better at it for us to be better.

I got you idea. It makes a lot of sense.

However it seems that Pep is not going that way. If you look at our left side attack, he sent Cancelo (who also liked to make decisions) on exile. He put Gundo, a good runner to pair with Grealish. Now he put Alvarez closer to Grealish. He trains Grealish to be more and more into control & decider mode rather than the other way.

Have you ever thought about maybe Pep does not want to coach this part out of him?

It has been 2 seasons so far. Pep encourages Grealish continue this mode and be the one controlling the tempo - rather than coaching him into a pass and run player.

If I were Pep, I would rather choose the one who can hold the ball best to control and make decisions even though sometimes it is a bit conservative, other than let those who constantly lose the ball here and there to be the ball holder. After all, at the end of the day, Grealish holds the ball better than everyone else in this league.

Disagree

Jack will be holding the ball on Pep’s instructions. If anyone does anything consistently in this team it will be by design. This is a Pep team.

Notice how when Jack holds the ball teasing defenders the whole defence tends to be drawn towards him like a magnet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.