11 | Jeremy Doku - 2023/24

Yet he turns to him when he needs chaos? Of course he makes wrong decisions at times but who doesnt?
When have we ever turned to chaos under pep? I've only ever known it drive pep crazy.
I think pep sees the potential to refine the raw skills that doku has hence bringing him in in the first place but not to the point that he's so unpredictable his own teammates can't read what he wants to do.
Very much a work in progress. Talented and raw.

I think his end product is all over the place. Regularly runs into dead ends and regularly picks the wrong pass/cross.
Yes I have played football wide left and right before thanks. I'd hate it more as a teammate if I'd no idea what my winger was going to do from one bulldozing run to the next.
He's not for me. Yet.
Appreciate the staunch defence of him but you don't have to talk to me like I'm a fking idiot. I've played and watched football at many levels for nearly 40 years. I appreciate all styles of footballs and the way he plays is as frustrating as it is dangerous. It's not a crime for him to be like that at his age i just want to see some refinement come to his game as he matures. More consistent end product. Not too much to ask.
I've played footy at mostly low level..,for over 50 years.
I played wide left the majority of the time.
I supported City as a kid mainly due to Peter Barnes. An electric Blue who had one trick, but did it so well he skinned accomplished full backs up and down England ,including the Italian No.2 at Wembley when I first saw him play.....The Italian full back was regarded as the best right back in the world at the time but Our own youth product destroyed him showing high level left wing football technique which lit up the nation.

This was short lived. This was my boyhood hero.Peter Barnes. I've had an interest in wingers in football from day one.i still say it is the erratic nature of a wingers dribbling ability,when delivered at break neck speed is one of the most exciting but difficult art to perfect.
So many dribbling runs come to nothing ...that's football.

There is no doubt Doku can improve,but he hasn't got where he is in club and international football..today...by being a bad player.
We all look for perfection..and a goalkeeper ,centre back defensive midfielders etc you generally put your team in instant danger when you make a mistake ..
At the other end of the pitch, attacking forwards must be allowed some Grace,for it is they who have the creative responsibility ,the artistry, ...it doesn't always come off. But if your asking for Doku to stop being erratic, you may as well keep him on the bench. You have to take the rough with the smooth when genuine instinctive brilliant ball play is being gauged, at break neck speed.

Nobody is a Robot. Doku is ,imo doing as much as his possibly can to do damage to the oppostion,without damaging himself , and nursing two injuries in your first season in the premier league...with a new demanding season about to kick off in a few weeks.....I'd say Doku is ,in overall... fine fettle..
Look forward to seeing season No.2 at City.....see how he shapes up to Barnes.Thats Peter Barnes,not John. ;)

Last edited:
I've played footy at mostly low level..,for over 50 years.
I played wide left the majority of the time.
I supported City as a kid mainly due to Peter Barnes. An electric Blue who had one trick, but did it so well he skinned accomplished full backs up and down England ,including the Italian No.2 at Wembley when I first saw him play.....The Italian full back was regarded as the best right back in the world at the time but Our own youth product destroyed him showing high level left wing football technique which lit up the nation.

This was short lived. This was my boyhood hero.Peter Barnes. I've had an interest in wingers in football from day one.i still say it is the erratic nature of a wingers dribbling ability,when delivered at break neck speed is one of the most exciting but difficult art to perfect.
So many dribbling runs come to nothing ...that's football.

There is no doubt Doku can improve,but he hasn't got where he is in club and international football..today...by being a bad player.
We all look for perfection..and a goalkeeper ,centre back defensive midfielders etc you generally put your team in instant danger when you make a mistake ..
At the other end of the pitch, attacking forwards must be allowed some Grace,for it is they who have the creative responsibility ,the artistry, ...it doesn't always come off. But if your asking for Doku to stop being erratic, you may as well keep him on the bench. You have to take the rough with the smooth when genuine instinctive brilliant ball play is being gauged, at break neck speed.

Nobody is a Robot. Doku is ,imo doing as much as his possibly can to do damage to the oppostion,without damaging himself , and nursing two injuries in your first season in the premier league...with a new demanding season about to kick off in a few weeks.....I'd say Doku is ,in overall... fine fettle..
Look forward to seeing season No.2 at City.....see how he shapes up to Barnes.Thats Peter Barnes,not John. ;)
Love this response. Very fair comments. My assessment of Doku I expect will change as he plays more within our way of playing and just make better decisions with his end product. Obviously he'll never get it right every time because that's impossible. Forwards are always the risk takers in order to make things happen so I grant you that. When I watch him though it feels obvious at times when he should be moving the ball on quicker instead of running into blind alleys like he does more often currently than I personally like to see. That's why I say I want to see his style refined a bit as he matures, not eradicated altogether. That's never happening. And when he is fully at it he's exciting to watch for sure. I'm not fully sold on him yet but acknowledge there's some great raw materials to work with. Like you say, second season under the stewardship of Pep and we'll see some evolution to his game.
Maybe that's what some people have missed with their more fiery responses to my thoughts on him. I've never said he's a dud who needs moving on, as he's clearly not. He's young and a bit untamed at the minute for me and that's something I expect to change in the coming years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.