11 | Jeremy Doku - 2024/25

I think he needs to show a bit more against quality opponents and make the difference in the big tight games but yes I’m happy he plays for us. Is he my favourite player . Not really
He’s not my favourite player either but that’s a different conversation.

He’s not my favourite player either but that’s a different conversation.
In a squad that contains Erling, Phil, Kevin John and Jack, I doubt he’s many supporters' favourite player, but that doesn’t mean I hate him.

Quite the opposite for me. I love him, but he’s not my favourite player.

In a squad that contains Erling, Phil, Kevin John and Jack, I doubt he’s many supporters' favourite player, but that doesn’t mean I hate him.

Quite the opposite for me. I love him, but he’s not my favourite player.
Correct. There’s all sorts of different reasons as to why a player is your favourite.
My change of username tells you who mine is.
Like you say though, that in no way detracts from how much I love having Haaland here.
Some fans really don’t appreciate how lucky we are as a fanbase to have so many to choose from.

Correct. There’s all sorts of different reasons as to why a player is your favourite.
My change of username tells you who mine is.
Like you say though, that in no way detracts from how much I love having Haaland here.
Some fans really don’t appreciate how lucky we are as a fanbase to have so many to choose from.
In that case, I have the same first name as your favourite player.

He looked miles fitter on Sunday than last season.He worked very hard getting back in to help out late in the game and kept carrying the ball to get us up the pitch. He also managed to out run someone over a much longer distance on a late counter down the right.

Undoubtedly his end product needs to improve. I get what you mean about him being limited but his talent is very unique. I see his potential to be enormous because very few players can beat people so easily. Foden and Jack don’t do what he does because they couldn’t skin fullbacks as consistently as he does. What he’s got can’t be taught but the simple things he often gets wrong can be. Think of Sterling nobody thought he’d become a goal scorer but his record became outstanding. He was never going to be a great finisher but he learnt where to be and improved his finishing. Doku doesn’t have to become a great crosser or passer he just needs to be calmer and pick the right option more. Once that happens the goals and assists will flow.
He needs to become a finisher, he'll never be passer Gvardiol nearly tore a hamstring from receiving a simple 10yrd pass off him. He did do some good work defensively i found myself applauding him for it but on several occasions that applause was often soon muted due to him giving back possession cheaply.
As for the Sterling comparison its kind of my point, he doesn't have half the tools Sterling does and look how he's faired, vilified for the majority of his England career and boo'd by Chelsea fans, in teams that don't control possession and don't dominate the final third there's few teams that have the luxury to field players that require buying dozens of raffle tickets to win a single prize

The volume comes with how we setup and the quality of his team mates. My argument isn't that he cant do a job for us I just think hes'a very limited player his skillset is so niche that applied elsewhere he'd genuinely struggle.

I don't think its all that crazy we've been crying out for a dribbler or two for years, I say it like we haven't being hoovering up trophies during that time, but its only natural teams get deeper we player higher up and the space for that intricate pass or to get runs in behind gets smaller that's when dribblers shine. Its genuinely in Doku's favour that he is so limited that Pep gives him the freedom to do that, I'm genuinely surprised the likes of Phil and Jack aren't encouraged to do more of it but I'm surprised about a lot of thigs which explains why I'm just an armchair fan.
You're underselling his overall ability. His other qualities are fine, but because his one top quality is so godlike, it makes it give the illusion like the rest are amateur level. Hes a good passer, has a strong shot and he is fast in transition (remember the Leipzig goal last season or the penalty he won against Spurs). He's just not insane like he is in his dribbling and acceleration.

And I don't think he would be only good at City, he was pretty effective for Rennes too. IMO if you put Doku in the Serie A he would be automatically the best player as they play with less intensity, mostly low block too with better sides having the bulk of possession, but defences are also often vulnerable on the counter due to lack of speed. He would destroy that league imo.

On a second watch, I thought Doku was brilliant. Some wasteful moments? Sure.

His second half was exceptional. Got us up the pitch. Had a good understanding with Kevin. His defensive effort was also a lot better compared to last season. Obviously there are things to improve. He put in a really good shift though.
He was crucial in getting us up the pitch and held the ball up superbly too. He’s been watching Grealish videos!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.