11 | Jeremy Doku - 2024/25

I got so much shit for criticizing Doku last year in one of my posts...

Thing is... Doku is able to beat his defender with greater frequency than any other player in our squad. He gets into great positions because of this... and then, fails to deliver all too often.

Because of his dribbling skills, sometimes Doku - just by chance - manages to string together a bunch of great crosses or shots on goal and in this case is MOTM. But most of the time, he's simply frustrating.

A bunch of posters have claimed that Doku is young and will develop. Well that may be so.

But what about Savinho, for instance? Another player whom we've bought and plays in Doku's position.

Savinho is only 20 years old. So 2 years behind Doku's development.

Surely this means that Savinho is even more raw and needs 2 more years than Doku to develop?

Actually not.

After most of your life spent dedicated to football (as I assume Duku and Savinho both are)... well, I'd say that after about 18 to 20 years or so, you've shown how good you might be. Outliers of course exist... but still... After such time, I doubt that there's a magic transition from OK to awesome in virtually every case (rare exceptions likely exist).

Which is to say... I've loved Savinho from the day he took field. And I've doubted that Doku would be a long time starter in our squad. And recent performances, I think, have proved me right.

Savinho = world class, first choice at wing
Doku = change-of-pace sub or starter versus lesser opponents. May confound top opposition with his awesome dribbling skills - but more often will disappoint.

I doubt that Doku will be in our squad 2 years from now - he's not good enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.