18 | Stefan Ortega - 2023/24

He's a far better pure goalkeeper than Ederson. Far better. Ederson doesn't have the basics.
Conversely I'd argue Eddie actually makes tons of great saves but is always more known for his relaxed approach to being pressed and maybe the best distribution a keeper has ever had.

Pound for pound Ederson might be the best keeper in the world, I'm not sure I'd make that argument for Ortega (who is far too good to be a back up).

good cameo.

imo we gonna lose him this summer (hope for a nice fee) and hopefully Txiki will get a great replacement.
Steffen was a bad choice before him.

I don’t actually think he’s far off number 1- provides the perfect opportunity to try and get that spot. Eddie is incredible distribution wise but Ortega is also great.

He's a far better pure goalkeeper than Ederson. Far better. Ederson doesn't have the basics.
When we signed Ortega, there was a deep dive into both their qualities, which suggested the situation was a lot more complicated.

If I remember correctly, Ortega was the better shot stopper, but being pro-active and claiming crosses, or sweeping up/anticipating attacks, were areas that Ederson excelled in. Those skills are still "pure goalkeeping" and save just as many goals, and overall I believe it balanced out, despite Ortega's reputation for the basics.

Saying that, I think most people are happy with Ortega as a backup.

Might be good timing. Play a few games and get that contract signed!
I hope so. Maybe Ederson's injury is a blessing in disguise. Ortega may be needed against Arsenal/Villa. If he does well as he usually does, there may be no need to rush Eddie back. Hopefully, that would convince him to stay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.