19 | Julian Alvarez - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
The criticism is a bit overblown but the one thing I really wish he'd stop doing is giving away stupid fouls. We tend to avoid signing players with a tendency to do that so hopefully we can coach it out of him because it is not helpful for his teammates.

The criticism is a bit overblown but the one thing I really wish he'd stop doing is giving away stupid fouls. We tend to avoid signing players with a tendency to do that so hopefully we can coach it out of him because it is not helpful for his teammates.
This is just part of his pressing style, it usually pays off but today it really didn't. I think it was also a result of his frustration for not being able to impact the game as he usually does.

Feels like we are running him into the ground at the minute. I would like to have an actual "striker" on the bench as well to bring in on in games and we just dont have that right now.
Totally agree.

BTW I don't see Alvarez performance level high enough to lock a starting spot for all the game. KDB Halaand and Rodri maybe.

Let's not act like playing Phil on the wing is somehow disrespectful. He's a world class wide player.

Pep wanted to rest Bernardo and KDB, and had no Kovacic to call on. So his selection was fairly straightforward.
Bobb is also a very good right winger and I don't see why he cannot start vs Everton.

Plus Doku did well on right wing last game.

If Pep can try Stones and Akanji both in midfield I don't see play Bobb or Doku on RW to release Foden in the middle a problem .

Foden‘s close control with back to goal and upper body strength are not quite the same. Foden for me is better with the pitch ahead of him and driving into it. Alvarez and, next season Bobb, are better in the half spaces in games like today.
Insanity!!!

Chelsea need a striker. With his stock currently high we could prob get £110m plus this summer.

He isn’t as good as a lot of you blue tinted fans think he is.
I can't speak for anyone else and I don't wear glasses, I wear clear contact lenses but what I will say about Alvarez is he is a better overall #9 than G Jesus, Nunez, Watkins. Richarlson, and N Jackson. Also, in an open game he can do some damage playing as an AM. However, playing as an AM against teams tightly packed in at the back he is out of his depth. He's nowhere near proficient enough on the ball or in his short, quick passing game to break the lines against a team parking the bus. If you watch the game objectively you will see that in these type of games he makes us very vulnerable to counter attacks. Doku does as well but he also goes past people at will the majority of the time. This isn't me slagging off Alvarez as I've made it clear how much I rate him as a 9. But as a midfielder he is way below par for City, simple as...

Lovely lad. Great finisher. Never ever ever in a million years is he a midfielder though and I have not the faintest idea why Pep thinks he is. His numbers are great granted, but yesterday was a woeful performance from him and quite frankly it’s a disgrace that Foden ended up on the right wing first half to accommodate him centrally. Should’ve been Phil in the 10 Bobb on the right if Pep wanted to rest Bernardo and Walker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.