19 | Julian Alvarez - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is Foden has waited years to play there because he's apparently lacking this but Alvarez is in his second season and is now seemingly the first choice all while shoehorning Phil out on the wing.
Thats just because Foden is versatile.

Alvarez is not suited to the wing, while Foden is so if you need to play both players there really is no decision, right?

Now the best thing is to just play both in the middle which is what essentially happened 2nd half as Foden was like a false winger.

Julian has that "goal out of nowhere" quality that kevin has. You cant drop him.

Julian has that "goal out of nowhere" quality that kevin has. You cant drop him.
Their underlying goal numbers are almost identical. Foden is even outperforming his xG to a better extent than Julian... but Foden's goal and shot creation numbers are more than double what Alvarez's are per 90. Alvarez's defensive numbers are better but not staggeringly so.

I love Pep and his numbers speak for themselves but I do think he treats Phil differently than others because he knows that he's a team player/City fan/academy product, etc., and is not going to kick up a fuss about things that others might.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 7.28.00 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-02 at 7.28.00 PM.png
    513.7 KB · Views: 24
Their underlying goal numbers are almost identical. Foden is even outperforming his xG to a better extent than Julian... but Foden's goal and shot creation numbers are more than double what Alvarez's are per 90. Alvarez's defensive numbers are better but not staggeringly so.

I love Pep and his numbers speak for themselves but I do think he treats Phil differently than others because he knows that he's a team player/City fan/academy product, etc., and is not going to kick up a fuss about things that others might.
Those number comparisons are nice, but like I said in my reply, Foden is more versatile and Alvarez isnt.

So if you play both, ideally both in the centre, if not, Foden is the one you play slightly out of position because he is versatile.

Also on the goals, while similar, from the eye test, Alvarez definitely has that long distance goal quality that kevin has, a little moreso than Foden imo.

At the end of the day, this team is best right now when BOTH play behind Haaland as we saw in the 2nd half, and Kovacic playing below them.

Really don't like him and Haaland in the same 11,and a number 10 he is not.

I guess a lack of numbers/options is currently forcing Pep's hand somewhat though.

Really don't like him and Haaland in the same 11,and a number 10 he is not.

I guess a lack of numbers/options is currently forcing Pep's hand somewhat though.
Do you honestly seriously think pep is playing him because of necessity rather than because of his MotM performances?

I have the same sentiment. He's played himself well as the match went on like in the previous matches. I'm glad he is becoming more involved and making a bigger contribution. Anyone who thinks he played poor here has to be wumming.
Like this boy

The guy has been outstanding from day one.

Always a goal threat, providing assists and his selfless workrate for the team is incredible.

Undroppable at this moment and a huge part of the squad.
I love the lad,but i think we play better,and with more fluid,with a no.10.

One thing he needs to do is to get his head up more when picking a square pass in midfield. Defenders are wise to this and set to intercept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.