19 | Julian Alvarez - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

With 27 chances created in all competitions so far, not only does Álvarez lead the way for Manchester City in that department, but all Premier League players too. In fact, only Freiburg’s Vincenzo Grifo (28) has created more chances than Álvarez in all competitions of every team in Europe’s top five leagues.

On the ball, Álvarez has been a dual threat so far this season, able to create chances for teammates or be on the receiving end of them himself. He’s been involved in 44 open-play shot-ending sequences for City, a total that only Rodri can surpass. Álvarez’s split between shooting, creating a chance or being involved in the build up is very nicely balanced – although it’s not quite as neat as Phil Foden’s perfect split!

His work out of possession is incredible. He is City’s most active presser, making 24.4 pressures per 90 minutes, the most of any of his teammates. Such is his work rate that he leads the team for pressures in the attacking third per 90 (11.7) and also the middle third (9.8).

I think it has gone under the radar he hasn’t had time off since he left River Plate he came straight to Man City to play for us without a holiday. Fast forward this summer the window off was shorter and has played almost every minute.

This is his season and has taken the chance to grow into his new role. Alvarez is thriving but we need to go easy on him at same time.

With 27 chances created in all competitions so far, not only does Álvarez lead the way for Manchester City in that department, but all Premier League players too. In fact, only Freiburg’s Vincenzo Grifo (28) has created more chances than Álvarez in all competitions of every team in Europe’s top five leagues.

On the ball, Álvarez has been a dual threat so far this season, able to create chances for teammates or be on the receiving end of them himself. He’s been involved in 44 open-play shot-ending sequences for City, a total that only Rodri can surpass. Álvarez’s split between shooting, creating a chance or being involved in the build up is very nicely balanced – although it’s not quite as neat as Phil Foden’s perfect split!

His work out of possession is incredible. He is City’s most active presser, making 24.4 pressures per 90 minutes, the most of any of his teammates. Such is his work rate that he leads the team for pressures in the attacking third per 90 (11.7) and also the middle third (9.8).

Interesting post. Cheers for that.

I was more relaxed than many about losing Gundo, Mahrez and (temporarily) KDB in the hope that Alvarez and Phil would benefit from added opportunities and responsibility. I’m not disappointed with what I am seeing.

His first touch was off tonight. Had it been tighter he’d have scored in the first half
His first touch with his back to goal is a weakness in his game. Much better coming into the ball. Bit like Dzeko in that respect.

His first touch with his back to goal is a weakness in his game. Much better coming into the ball. Bit like Dzeko in that respect.
Every player has weaknesses (which eventually can be either minimized or corrected.....or not), i think the key is to avoid putting the players in those specific situations, which was not the case in this game, because he was constantly forced to face his back to the goal to get any service (particularly in the 2nd half).

Every player has weaknesses (which eventually can be either minimized or corrected.....or not), i think the key is to avoid putting the players in those specific situations, which was not the case in this game, because he was constantly forced to face his back to the goal to get any service (particularly in the 2nd half).
That is true. But I doubt Halaand is a back to goal style player either.

Player of the season so far with the possible exception of Rodri.

Cracking goal, didn't think we had much of a set piece goal threat since gundo and mahrez left and kdb being injured but he's stepped right up.

Not involved enough overall although there was certaibly worse offenders today. He needs to be fined everytime he picks up a yellow for kicking the ball away (as does anybody else) they know the fucking rules and the last thing we need with such a threadbare squad is suspensions for accumulation of yellows from kicking the ball away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.