19 | Julian Alvarez - 2023/24

Overall , Alvarez has offered us more than Haaland this season

we looked a more compact team when Haaland was out injured and Alvarez was deputising

yet he gets no criticism

its double standards
When Haaland was out, we looked a more compact team because there was no Alvarez in the midfield messing passes and losing balls!

We looked great when we played with one striker. We looked terrible playing with two. We was great in CL games when Halaand started and Alvarez did not start as well.

Cost the community shield game by his poor defending.
Cost the home game vs Liverpool by his poor defending again. (Doku shared the blame he did not track TAA and Alvarez had to fill his spot)
Cost the away game vs Liverpool again.

But I don't blame this lad. The blame is on Pep. Stop putting him in a deeper position rather than the striker. I don't get why Pep keeps saying "he deserves minutes" bla bla.

Shouldn't the midfielders compete for minutes in midfields and wingers compete for minutes on the wings? Is it fair for Alvarez - whose G/A is natrually higher than wingers/midfielders because of his natual positions - to compete with midfielders like Kova and Nunes / wingers like Doku Grealish and Bobb? He should go and challenge Halaand for the spot up front and I would say I will take Halaand off and sub Alvarez on at HT today!

not a winger, not a midfielder. not his fault imho. only 56% pass accuracy today.

that theory that he has to play so he doesn’t leave, would pep really do that?
Why should we worry about him leaving but not others? I really cannot get it. Cash him in and I will see a minimum of 60M and we can buy a quality deputy striker.

Alvarez experiment is dragging the others' performance down.

Why don't we worry the extra shift of workload the other players have to take to accommodate Alvarez and the fitness of them? Rodri Stones Ake Bernado and Ederson all have to clean up behind him risking their own ankles.

Why don't we worry about the wingers and midfielders who cannot get their fair share of minutes because Alvarez does not want to challenge Halaand and KDB for a spot but squeezing others' minutes? Kova Nunues Grealish Doku and Bobb for instance.

Goosebumps. He had a phenomenal first season for such a young lad, and 29 G+A this season already as well. Often overplayed and out of position, but he is a magnificent player. Anyone who doesn't think he is quality needs to follow another sport.

actually pretty impressive stats considering he's a square peg in a round hole in this current city side.

Cost the community shield game by his poor defending.
Cost the home game vs Liverpool by his poor defending again. (Doku shared the blame he did not track TAA and Alvarez had to fill his spot)
Cost the away game vs Liverpool again.

But I don't blame this lad. The blame is on Pep. Stop putting him in a deeper position rather than the striker. I don't get why Pep keeps saying "he deserves minutes" bla bla.

Shouldn't the midfielders compete for minutes in midfields and wingers compete for minutes on the wings? Is it fair for Alvarez - whose G/A is natrually higher than wingers/midfielders because of his natual positions - to compete with midfielders like Kova and Nunes / wingers like Doku Grealish and Bobb? He should go and challenge Halaand for the spot up front and I would say I will take Halaand off and sub Alvarez on at HT today!
All one has to do is watch Alvarez in the sequence when Salah has a shot blocked and then slashes a shot wide of the goal on the ensuing rebound. He dives in sideways and makes a terrible attempt to impede Salah. Then he lets Salah step right past him to fire away at the rebound. It's nowhere near the standard one would expect from a 13 year old midfielder (key word midfielder) let alone a midfielder at this level. It's quite evident that the young fella has no idea whatsoever how to go about defending in his own third which no matter how ball dominant a squad one is playing on anyone playing as an 8 or a wing needs to be proficient at.
The play you refer to in the first Liverpool game where Trent scores the late goal is not an isolated incident regarding Alvarez. It just stands out because of the result.
The bigger question is what was Alvarez doing on the pitch being asked to defend deep that late in such a big game with us trying to see out a 1 nil?
I'm sorry but with all due respect to Pep and all he has accomplished he's dead wrong on Alvarez being able to play as an 8 or a wing on this squad, simple as.

Hahaha only because that meant Alavarez couldn’t play in midfield.

He’s a good striker but if he plays anywhere else he does so at a massive detriment to the team.

Easily our worst player this season considering his dire performances in midfield.
Overall , Alvarez has offered us more than Haaland this season

we looked a more compact team when Haaland was out injured and Alvarez was deputising

yet he gets no criticism

its double standards

All one has to do is watch Alvarez in the sequence when Salah has a shot blocked and then slashes a shot wide of the goal on the ensuing rebound. He dives in sideways and makes a terrible attempt to impede Salah. Then he lets Salah step right past him to fire away at the rebound. It's nowhere near the standard one would expect from a 13 year old midfielder (key word midfielder) let alone a midfielder at this level. It's quite evident that the young fella has no idea whatsoever how to go about defending in his own third which no matter how ball dominant a squad one is playing on anyone playing as an 8 or a wing needs to be proficient at.
The play you refer to in the first Liverpool game where Trent scores the late goal is not an isolated incident regarding Alvarez. It just stands out because of the result.
The bigger question is what was Alvarez doing on the pitch being asked to defend deep that late in such a big game with us trying to see out a 1 nil?
I'm sorry but with all due respect to Pep and all he has accomplished he's dead wrong on Alvarez being able to play as an 8 or a wing on this squad, simple as.
With all due respect to Pep, I know better. Bet you don’t.

With all due respect to Pep, I know better. Bet you don’t.
So because I think Pep is wrong about playing Alvarez out of position it's the same thing as me saying I know more than Pep as a whole. Interesting application of logic that, except for the fact that it's an invalid conclusion based solely on your own myopic view of the situation. Playing Alvarez as a midfielder NOT AS A SECOND STRIKER IN THE ROLE KDB SEEMS TO NOW OPERATE IN is a terrible decision. Playing him on the wing doesn't appear to be a proper option either. Regardless of anything you want to say if that trend continues will win jack shit this year in terms of the league or the CL. Hopefully it won't come to that.

So because I think Pep is wrong about playing Alvarez out of position it's the same thing as me saying I know more than Pep as a whole. Interesting application of logic that, except for the fact that it's an invalid conclusion based solely on your own myopic view of the situation. Playing Alvarez as a midfielder NOT AS A SECOND STRIKER IN THE ROLE KDB SEEMS TO NOW OPERATE IN is a terrible decision. Playing him on the wing doesn't appear to be a proper option either. Regardless of anything you want to say if that trend continues will win jack shit this year in terms of the league or the CL. Hopefully it won't come to that.
The problem with this is you don’t know the reasons behind why Pep has chosen to go this way. There’s always a reason with Pep and it’s usually because he’s thought about things us mere mortals don’t.
Us fans are normally playing catch up 6 months later.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.