Re: De Jong injury to Ben Arfa

I've got to agree with those who say that a good tackle should be fair but hard. Crunching tackles are a huge part of the game. They get the fans on thier feet and the atmsophere usually rises. Just look at the thread after the Chelsea game when De Jong and Barry both went flying in with crunching tackles. Barton cleared out Milner in the first half and the Newcastle fans loved it. The game would lose something if hard tackles were outlawed.

I've not read through 30 pages of this because imo quite frankly it's a non story.

It was a fair tackle, De Jong went in hard with his eyes on the ball and I firmly agree with Kevin Keegan and Lee Dixon who described it as unfortunate rather than anything else. There have been far far worse tackles in the premier league which have never came under the spotlight...I seem to remember Kevin Nolan putting in a shocking tackle in the premier league not long after he signed for Newcastle.

Speedy recovery for Ben Arfa, really feel for him and Newcastle F.C, it's a big loss. But De Jong done his job and in no way went to break the guys leg.

Can't believe he's been axed from the dutch squad for it.

What a thug! I remember his horror tackle on Gerrard last year in which the ref didn''t even give Liverpool a free kick. As a result Babel had to go off injured and if I remember correctly Gerrard got penalised for diving. He''s nothing but a bully....what a disgrace!!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11679_6426460,00.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 60,00.html</a>

What the fuck?!

I don't see how De Jong can play for Holland again whilst that guy is the manager. To highlight your own player's actions like that in front of the footballing world is an absolute disgrace. He is giving the media all the ammunition they need to try and destroy NDJ.

Egyptian said:
NewbBlue said:
I wish it were illegal in the Prem. Maybe it technically is, I don't know, just rarely seems to be called. Something has to be done to protect the players.

De Jong cannot slide in sideways on a guy's shins with his body, even if he does get the ball.

I agree. Zamora recieved something similair from Hendry, but that was from behind. It might be legal..... I know that De Jong is seen as a real fighter and loved by the posters here, but i see absolutely nothing courageous in De Jong's play..... reckless, misstimed and studs up tackles seems to be his way of play. Zero finesse in my book and any thug could do it. To see how much of a fighter he is, we have to see him on the receiving end of the kind of tackles he dishes out himself IMHO.

he;s just a strong tackler, i seriously doubt he meant to break his leg.
and if de jong were to be on the recieving end of a hard tackle im sure he wouldnt moan if the othe player got the ball, he would probably respond with another hard tackle...

Blue Mist said:
gregblag said:
I didn't go to the game because I was working. I have been a City fan since 1967.

The replays show that the angle that De Jong went in at meant he was bound to hit the man whether he got the ball or not. IMO that makes it a red card offence. De Jong may not have gone in intentionally to hurt the player but he went in regardless of whether he hurt the player or not.

It's probably an 'ordinary' tackle by Premiership standards so both Keegan and Butt saw it as fair. Premiership players have a Premiership view. In Europe the view would have been very different.

Just suppose it was Adam Johnson at the end of a tackle like that with the same result. What would you be saying then?

What the f**k is going on in this forum. gregblag are you on drugs ? The quote I have highlighted is just nonsense, what is this 'whether he got the ball or not' crap. HE GOT THE BALL IT WAS THEREFORE A FAIR TACKLE.

....This is a mans game where physical contact takes place, as long as that contact is legal there is no offence committed. I really do despair at times.

If you're going to shout, at least know the rules. It's been a long time since getting the ball was a clincher in what's a fair tackle.

It's simply not a fair tackle if you take ball with one leg and man with the other. It's not a fair tackle even if you get the ball first. (If you can get ball first and the opponent then goes over the outstretched leg, that's OK.) Remember it's not that long since any tackle from behind was a red card offence. FIFA changed that because it seemed to suggest that fierce tackles from the side or in front were OK - they're not.

No-one wants an absolutely tackle-free game, but with players worth the amount of money they're worth, I really do despair at those who seem to prefer not to make players' safety a priority.

Vic said:
Blue Mist said:
What the f**k is going on in this forum. gregblag are you on drugs ? The quote I have highlighted is just nonsense, what is this 'whether he got the ball or not' crap. HE GOT THE BALL IT WAS THEREFORE A FAIR TACKLE.

....This is a mans game where physical contact takes place, as long as that contact is legal there is no offence committed. I really do despair at times.

If you're going to shout, at least know the rules. It's been a long time since getting the ball was a clincher in what's a fair tackle.

It's simply not a fair tackle if you take ball with one leg and man with the other. It's not a fair tackle even if you get the ball first. (If you can get ball first and the opponent then goes over the outstretched leg, that's OK.) Remember it's not that long since any tackle from behind was a red card offence. FIFA changed that because it seemed to suggest that fierce tackles from the side or in front were OK - they're not.

No-one wants an absolutely tackle-free game, but with players worth the amount of money they're worth, I really do despair at those who seem to prefer not to make players' safety a priority.

So you're saying when Nigel slid in as soon as he connected with the ball he should have defied the laws of physics and stopped immediately and not touched the player?

You're an idiot.

So from now on if you touch any part of the opposing player while making a tackle it equals foul and dangerous play ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.