2 | Kyle Walker - 2023/24

Again, this coming from a player who captained us to a bottled draw to Palace but sent out 18 year old Rico Lewis to do the post-match interview rather than himself. Would Vinnie have sent Foden out in 2018/19?

1) The captain doesn't decide who faces the press.

2) Even if he did, Kompany, and every other captain we've ever had would have let Rico have his moment in the sun after finally scoring his first ever goal for the club.

Kyle is just a bit thick in my opinion
Probably thinks he is inspiring the team
Maybe needs to try and actually play a bit better and stop making mistakes

This interview has irked me a bit, tbh. Not really the way a club captain should be speaking. Seems unwilling to take responsibility for his own drop in form, and the comments about United were manna from heaven from the press.

I'm not sure any annoyance is justified to be honest.

What he said about United is exactly what Pep has said whenever asked for the last 7 years. Why would anyone think Walker would break ranks and say something else?

I don't think he's avoiding responsibility, he's just a 33 year old who's seen this entire circus before. He was there at Christmas 2020 when half the forum wanted Pep fired because we were 8th, and he was there lifting the tophy in May. He was there when we were 2 goals down against Villa and lifted the trophy an hour later. He's seen the fans and media turn on this side a dozen sides and then have to walk it back a few weeks later.

He's seen the football machine want him replaced with Danilo, Cancelo, Stones, Akanji, Rico at City and TAA and Trippier and James for England and he just puts his head down and in a month or a years time the managers are picking him for every game still.

You could easily claim the interview shows he's not phased by criticism and he's an experience winner not panicking about City's position in the season if you wanted to, some of the attempted inferences into his inner psyche in this thread are absurd, and all of the abuse he's getting for poor form when there's 10 players just as out of form as him would suggest he's actually got a point.

This interview has irked me a bit, tbh. Not really the way a club captain should be speaking. Seems unwilling to take responsibility for his own drop in form, and the comments about United were manna from heaven from the press.
Don't see the issue, he said it affects his parents but makes him more determined and mocks that some of the same people slating him were calling him the best right back in the world less than 3 months earlier, his point that the team collective is off is true and yeah as captain he could say it's his fault but then that would only open up him, Pep and the club to equally as much ridicule/scorn for picking him in the first place

on calling out fans, who cares, kolarov used to argue with the south stand, and when Kieth curle was captain once I went down platt lane with some mates and asked we him a question about his fitness as he lit up a cig and he righlty told us to fuck off with a smile never bothered me at all, so Walker saying he thinks the online criticism is ott, I ain't so prescious as a fan to care, captain or not, and the shit any player gets of any club on twitter is pathetic

Also his comments on the team and legacies, well all he says is even if we win tomorrow people still won't give us the recogonition of the red shirted cunts and if we want it we need to carry on doing what we are doing for a long while more, none of that is untrue as we bleat on about daily here in the media thread.

Last edited:
Don't see the issue, he said it affects his parents but makes him more determined and mocks that some of the same people slating him were calling him the best right back in the world less than 3 months earlier, his point that the team collective is off is true and yeah as captain he could say it's his fault but then that would only open up him, Pep and the club to equally as much ridicule/scorn for picking him in the first place

on calling out fans, who care, kolarov used to argue with the south stand, aand when Kieth curle was captain once I went down platt lane with some mates and asked we him a question about his fitness as he lit up a cig and he righlty told us to fuck off with a smile never bothered me at all, so Walker saying he think the online criticism is ott, I ain't so prescious as a fan to care, captain or not, and the shit any player gets of any club on twitter is pathetic

Also his comments on the team and legacies, well all he says is even if we win tomorrow people still won't give us the recogonition of the red shirted cunts and if we want it we need to carry on doing what we are doing for a long while more, none of that is untrue as we bleat on about daily here in the media thread.
"The best right back 3 months earlier"
I don't recall that, an excellent performance against Vini was all that it was.
There's a reason why he was benched for the 2nd half of last season, and that reason is still there.

I'm not sure any annoyance is justified to be honest.

What he said about United is exactly what Pep has said whenever asked for the last 7 years. Why would anyone think Walker would break ranks and say something else?

I don't think he's avoiding responsibility, he's just a 33 year old who's seen this entire circus before. He was there at Christmas 2020 when half the forum wanted Pep fired because we were 8th, and he was there lifting the tophy in May. He was there when we were 2 goals down against Villa and lifted the trophy an hour later. He's seen the fans and media turn on this side a dozen sides and then have to walk it back a few weeks later.

He's seen the football machine want him replaced with Danilo, Cancelo, Stones, Akanji, Rico at City and TAA and Trippier and James for England and he just puts his head down and in a month or a years time the managers are picking him for every game still.

You could easily claim the interview shows he's not phased by criticism and he's an experience winner not panicking about City's position in the season if you wanted to, some of the attempted inferences into his inner psyche in this thread are absurd, and all of the abuse he's getting for poor form when there's 10 players just as out of form as him would suggest he's actually got a point.
The reason why he replaced Stones/Akanji this season is because of the new deal he just signed, not on merit.

The reason why he replaced Stones/Akanji this season is because of the new deal he just signed, not on merit.

Lol, don’t even know where to start with how stupid this is.

Who gave him the contract extension?

Why would tying someone down to a new deal make you pick them more than the players on expiring deals you’re trying to keep?

Who is the person telling Pep who he has to play based on contracts?

He was playing 90 min each match before AND after signing the new deal so…how did you get the impression the two were related?!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.