2016/17 Home Kit Blue Shorts are back

Looking at each of those individually I'd say:

a) Could be City, could be Napoli, could be Celta Vigo, could be Coventry.
b) Could be City, could be Napoli, could be Celta Vigo, could be Coventry, could be Lazio.
c) Mancheter City. Never seen another club play in those colours.

For me, my first vote would be for c, my second vote would be a, and b I would accept if it meant no blue shorts, but white socks aren't Manchester City to me.

A & B Coventry?!? Really??? I've never seen coventry play in those colours. Napoli, Celta Vigo, Malmo... i'll give you... but there are loads of teams that play in all red like the Dippers... Aberdeen, Standard Liege etc, loads of teams that have worn the same colours as the rags... so what's you point? It doesn't matter if somebody else has that kit already it's all about giving ourselves an identity

The main thing is - as far as I can work out - City were the first to wear sky blue, so really that list of teams you put down all look like us, not vice versa!

until you have a 'Cityzens' poll with every core colour combination out there to vote for, no one knows what is the 'popular choice'. All you have is a feeling like the rest of us have.

It's a bit more than just a feeling mate.

We've both been very active on the badge thread over the years, I'm sure you got some idea about a consensus of what was popular. The round badge was overwhelmingly popular, the ship was overwhelmingly popular, and there was a fairly even split between people who liked the rivers and people who liked the rose. The rivers were probably slightly more popular.

That's not a feeling, that was reading thousands of posts over 4 or 5 years. It turned out the MEN poll and the Cityzens consultation mirrored exactly the views on here.

Similar to the badge threads, I've been following the kit threads very closely over the last 5 or 6 years.

As I've said previously, there is a very clear consensus of people who's first choice would be sky blue shirts and white shorts. No doubt in my mind whatsoever that any Cityzens vote would show those to be overwhelmingly popular.

The socks are a bit more debatable. I'd compare it to the rivers or the rose on the badge issue. Sky blue socks and navy blue socks are both very popular.

If it was just a vote of "Do you like these colour socks" separately I'm sure both would get over 60% voting yes, just like the rose and the rivers did. If that happened and we alternated between those two colours, I think the vast majority would be happy.

If it was a straight choice, "which of these would you prefer" I think the sky blue socks would probably edge that vote.

A & B Coventry?!? Really??? I've never seen coventry play in those colours. Napoli, Celta Vigo, Malmo... i'll give you... but there are loads of teams that play in all red like the Dippers... Aberdeen, Standard Liege etc, loads of teams that have worn the same colours as the rags... so what's you point? It doesn't matter if somebody else has that kit already it's all about giving ourselves an identity

The main thing is - as far as I can work out - City were the first to wear sky blue, so really that list of teams you put down all look like us, not vice versa!

npower-football-league-championship-coventry-city-v-5555859.jpg
coventry01uk-1.jpg
Sky-Blues-Home.jpg

Coventry seem to change every season, it's hard to keep up!

I agree with you, it's important for us to establish an identity. My personal view is, if we can establish an identity that respects our history, reflects fan's views, and at the same time is completely unique, then that's all the better.

Sky blue shirts, white shorts, navy blue socks does all of those things. That's my point.

I disagree.

The Shite have worn red socks in the past, but they stick to black now and it's unmistakably them, no other top team wears those colours.

Morecambe have worn that combination a lot, Torino wore that kit a lot (shirts a bit darker red) – there are others, smaller teams maybe, but the point is it's not unique.

Lazio have from time to time worn black socks or navy socks. Other teams do wear kits similar to the Rags, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. Those teams do not wear their colours because nobody else did, they just chose a kit and stuck with it! And that's all we need to do... If Lazio, Napoli and Malmo wear the same colours, so be it – with the PL exposure and the direction City are going in, those colours will be unmistakeably ours!

npower-football-league-championship-coventry-city-v-5555859.jpg
coventry01uk-1.jpg
Sky-Blues-Home.jpg

Coventry seem to change every season, it's hard to keep up!

I agree with you, it's important for us to establish an identity. My personal view is, if we can establish an identity that respects our history, reflects fan's views, and at the same time is completely unique, then that's all the better.

Sky blue shirts, white shorts, navy blue socks does all of those things. That's my point.

That coventry kit you found is literally a one off kit – they haven't worn that combination since the turn of the century - and I wouldn't mind betting their fans were not too happy with it because it looked too much like US!

But your post also highlights the point i'm making too – lower division teams have a lot of kit changes, driven by the manufactures mainly – they don't have the power to dictate to them what the kit will look like in a lot of cases, they just want the best kit deal!
We're not one of those teams (anymore) our kit colour should be set in stone and unchangeable. If it's skyblue socks... if it's navy blue socks... if it's white socks... great, put let's pick one and stick with them.

I would actually really like the club to pick up on this and do something similar to the Badge consultation. For me this is more important than the badge debate.

That coventry kit you found is literally a one off kit – they haven't worn that combination since the turn of the century - and I wouldn't mind betting their fans were not too happy with it because it looked too much like US!

But your post also highlights the point i'm making too – lower division teams have a lot of kit changes, driven by the manufactures mainly – they don't have the power to dictate to them what the kit will look like in a lot of cases, they just want the best kit deal!
We're not one of those teams (anymore) our kit colour should be set in stone and unchangeable. If it's skyblue socks... if it's navy blue socks... if it's white socks... great, put let's pick one and stick with them.

I would actually really like the club to pick up on this and do something similar to the Badge consultation. For me this is more important than the badge debate.

I agree with you mate, and I've been saying the same thing for years.

For me sky blue shirts and white shorts should be our core identity.

No changing it, ever.

It should be set in stone. Just like Barca will always have Blaugrana, Arsenal will always have red shirts with white sleeves, we should ALWAYS have sky blue shirts and white shorts.

That's our core identity, the colours we have worn every single year of our 120 year plus history, barring half a dozen seasons.

The socks to be honest I'm not that arsed if we stick to the same colour. Arsenal change between white, red and hooped socks and everyone knows it's them. If we had sky blue socks I'd be happy. Sky blue with maroon turnovers I'd be happy. Navy blue I'd be delighted, my first choice. Hooped sky and white one year? No problem, we wore them in the 50s. I don't personally like all white socks, it just looks like Lazio or Napoli to me.

But sky blue shorts should never again be foisted upon us. And as for navy blue sleeves? Jesus wept.

Sky blue socks are very popular mate, possibly even the most popular.

But I think you are underestimating how popular the navy blue socks are, particularly with the people who will have the casting vote - Cityzens.

The vast majority of Cityzens are season ticket holders. We've got a notoriously old demographic of season ticket holders, 30-45 being by far the most in number I believe. Navy blue socks are extremely popular with this demographic because they grew up watching City in the 80s and fondly remember the FA Youth Cup winning team of Lake, Hinchcliff, White etc, the 5-1 against The Shite, and the last days of the Kippax being all standing.

Also sky blue shirts, white shorts and navy blue socks are our original colours. They are the colours we have worn by far the most in our history. And that combination is also completely unique to Manchester City, so I think a lot of the history and design buffs will be inclined to vote for navy blue socks as well.

I'm in my 40s (just) and I don't remember us wearing navy socks very often. Sky blue is always the colour I associate with our socks. I suspect any vote would see an overwhelming preference for sky blue socks but I could be wrong.

I'm in my 40s (just) and I don't remember us wearing navy socks very often. Sky blue is always the colour I associate with our socks. I suspect any vote would see an overwhelming preference for sky blue socks but I could be wrong.

Really? We wore navy blue socks every season between 1987 and 2003 except for 3 or 4. Funny how memories become hazy as we get older ;-)

Yeh as I've said, I think sky blue socks would probably win a straight vote if we could only pick one.

But if it was like the last consultation where you could vote for multiple elements you liked, there would be a lot of votes for navy blue socks too.

Really? We wore navy blue socks every season between 1987 and 2003 except for 3 or 4. Funny how memories become hazy as we get older ;-)

Yeh as I've said, I think sky blue socks would probably win a straight vote if we could only pick one.

But if it was like the last consultation where you could vote for multiple elements you liked, there would be a lot of votes for navy blue socks too.

Must have tuned those out as I don't remember us wearing them often. Sky blue look much better anyway ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.