2022 Rugby League World Cup Final(s)

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
State of Origin, Game 3
Queensland Maroons v New South Wales Blues
Sky Sports Arena

This morning at 11:10. Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane.

Doesn’t get much better in world sport than a Game 3 Origin decider. Highest quality rugby of either code played anywhere. Possibly the most intense game in any code of football played anywhere.

Highlights of Game1:

Highlights of Game 2:

For any non-rugby fans who might watch this game today but know nothing about it… the history of Origin dates back to 1908 when New South Wales beat Queensland in the first interstate game, 43-0. Annual games and series up to the late 1970s were usually won by New South Wales because the main Australian league was the New South Wales Premiership with the best Queenslanders all playing in that league and selection for the interstate games was based on where they lived/“residency” (therefore they couldn’t play for Queensland).

People started to call for selection based on where players were from/“origin” instead of residency because the all-time record after 222 games was standing at 160 wins for NSW, 8 draws, and just 54 wins for QLD, and only 4 wins for QLD in the entire 1970s, and interest in the games were starting to wane.

So Game 3 of the 1980 interstate series was based on origin, and despite the nation (especially everyone from NSW) believing that NSW would still end up winning; QLD won. They did the same for Game 3 in 1981, and QLD won again. In 1982 they made the entire series “Origin” (which has stood ever since), and QLD won again. Then again in 1984, 1987, 88, 89 and 91.

The Origin series record stands at:
40 series Played
22 wins for QLD
16 wins for NSW
with 8 series drawn

The Origin games record stands at:
117 games Played
62 wins for QLD
53 wins for NSW
2 draws

There have only been seven 3-0 series wins in 40 years, and today it’s another Game 3 decider.

Also, the teams play in City’s home and away colours so it’s very aesthetically pleasing!

great post PC
What a freakin superb game that was Haha !

So nice to beat the Cockroaches :)

I've just seen that Toulouse won again yesterday! Looking at the remaining fixtures, I think Wakefield are going down.

I've just seen that Toulouse won again yesterday! Looking at the remaining fixtures, I think Wakefield are going down.
I am glad they have a decent chance of staying up after Toronto were shafted. Rugby mad down there whether 13 or 15, it strengthens the game.

I am glad they have a decent chance of staying up after Toronto were shafted. Rugby mad down there whether 13 or 15, it strengthens the game.

I remember PSG (must be around 27 years ago) and later on Catalans being introduced to SL to supposedly improve the standard of play in the northern hemisphere and to improve the standard of the French team. The introduction of these teams did neither, so not sure about 'strengthening the game.

@Psychedelic Casual have to agree with you about SOO being the highest quality rugby of either code. Has been the case for many years, in my opinion. With the NRL being second (my Sharkies are doing very well this season :) )

Salford doing well again today. Such a well managed club. With the comparatively meagre resources available to the club, Ian Blease has been doing a great job in recent years.

I remember PSG (must be around 27 years ago) and later on Catalans being introduced to SL to supposedly improve the standard of play in the northern hemisphere and to improve the standard of the French team. The introduction of these teams did neither, so not sure about 'strengthening the game.

@Psychedelic Casual have to agree with you about SOO being the highest quality rugby of either code. Has been the case for many years, in my opinion. With the NRL being second (my Sharkies are doing very well this season :) )

Salford doing well again today. Such a well managed club. With the comparatively meagre resources available to the club, Ian Blease has been doing a great job in recent years.
They are growing into it, doing much better than West Wales, Cornwall, Coventry Bears/Midlands from day one. They started in league 1 and worked their way up.

Unless RL widens catchment areas it will decline, and it has declined. When you have people in England supporting Australian teams it shows a big problem.

They are growing into it, doing much better than West Wales, Cornwall, Coventry Bears/Midlands from day one. They started in league 1 and worked their way up.

Unless RL widens catchment areas it will decline, and it has declined. When you have people in England supporting Australian teams it shows a big problem.

I have long thought RL will never be very popular outside of Australia. I just have not seen the benefits of expansion in non traditional areas and widening the SL net to include France. Expansion has been mostly shambolic. Maybe it is the RFL. Not sure.

My support of the Sharks is based on having lived in Cronulla.

I have long thought RL will never be very popular outside of Australia. I just have not seen the benefits of expansion in non traditional areas and widening the SL net to include France. Expansion has been mostly shambolic. Maybe it is the RFL. Not sure.

My support of the Sharks is based on having lived in Cronulla.
Couldn’t even get a decent radio connection for the Toulouse Vs Leeds match. Just some scrambled YouTube shambles. Not a great advert for “expanding” the game.

Couldn’t even get a decent radio connection for the Toulouse Vs Leeds match. Just some scrambled YouTube shambles. Not a great advert for “expanding” the game.
Toulouse winning is, and their crowds are not dissimilar to Salford's and growing long term.

At least a lot more people know about rugby league there. Catalan getting an over 30k gate shows it is working.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.