2022 World Cup Discussion

Apart from the times we didn’t qualify for the Finals, I have never been so apathetic about a World Cup since I first got into football in the early 1960s (aged 6). Of course I want England to do well, but I hate the whole thing about Qatar 2022, I envy Italy, Norway and some of the other countries that didn’t qualify. I also envy other Premier League teams with few or no players involved in the tournament. To me this makes the whole integrity of competition questionable at best. FIFA and UEfa not fit for purpose, but who is going to challenge them?

So who's expecting the usual England scenario of win 1, draw 1, lose 1 in the group stage, qualify for second round and dispose of whoever we play to reach the quarters, draw someone decent and go out.
I have a 0-0/0-0/1-0 feel to scrape through and end up playing Qatar in the 2nd round.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shame Maradona is no longer with us. He'd have announced the winner by now.

Qatar to win it. What? They bribed their way to hosting it. Why wouldn't they bribe their way to winning it too? I've got visions of South Korea all over again. Wait for their first match to be refereed by Saint Kitts and Nevis' second best referee.

Usual mix of decent/shite kits.
Best ones for me...

Mexico away.

adidas-2022-world-cup-kit-1.jpg

Germany away

germany_2022_adidas_away_kit.jpg

Japan home

Japan_22_Home_Authentic_Jersey_Blue_HF1851_HM8.jpg

Belgium away

belgium%202022%20kits%20%2820%29.jpg

Portugal home

portugal-2022-world-cup-kits-14.jpg

Also nice to see Puma putting in their usual level of effort with the away kits.

all%20puma%202022%20away%20kits%20national%20teams%20%2829%29.jpg

puma%202022%20away%20kit%20ghana%20switzerland%20%2810%29.jpg

puma%202022%20away%20kit%20ghana%20switzerland%20%2812%29.jpg

serbia-2022-world-cup-away-kit-2.jpg

all%20puma%202022%20away%20kits%20national%20teams%20%2835%29.jpg

Reminds me of that abomination us and Dortmund had to wear last season.

Apart from the times we didn’t qualify for the Finals, I have never been so apathetic about a World Cup since I first got into football in the early 1960s (aged 6). Of course I want England to do well, but I hate the whole thing about Qatar 2022,
Me too mate. I won't be watching this debacle. It's a shame as i love watching football and this shitshow has stopped our Prem season. But I'm dead set against it. Once again money talks, poor people's lives don't.

Me too mate. I won't be watching this debacle. It's a shame as i love watching football and this shitshow has stopped our Prem season. But I'm dead set against it. Once again money talks, poor people's lives don't.
Yeah, what's interesting to me is them justifying the number of deaths because "not all were working on World Cup projects." So I thought I'd do a little comparison. So over 6500 migrants from 5 countries died in 10 years from when the world cup construction started. Obviously not all of these would be people who died on the job, and not all would be working on World Cup infrastructure, but a significant portion would be given the countries (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh). It's also worth mentioning that almost all of these would be working-age men. Not the sort of people who are likely to just keel over and die in large numbers because of pre-existing health issues. Yet 69% of deaths in these workers is recorded as "natural deaths" (i.e. heart or respiratory failure). Autopsies aren't done, of course, because that would reveal the truth.

So I thought I'd compare it to the UK. Last Year, all deaths from work were 123. In the construction industry, it was 30. This is in a country that is 23 times bigger. And let's not forget that Qatar is one of the richest countries in the world. They can afford to make it safe. They can afford to provide world class medical care and proper supervision. They just don't give a shit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.