2022 World Cup Discussion

Yeah, what's interesting to me is them justifying the number of deaths because "not all were working on World Cup projects." So I thought I'd do a little comparison. So over 6500 migrants from 5 countries died in 10 years from when the world cup construction started. Obviously not all of these would be people who died on the job, and not all would be working on World Cup infrastructure, but a significant portion would be given the countries (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh). It's also worth mentioning that almost all of these would be working-age men. Not the sort of people who are likely to just keel over and die in large numbers because of pre-existing health issues. Yet 69% of deaths in these workers is recorded as "natural deaths" (i.e. heart or respiratory failure). Autopsies aren't done, of course, because that would reveal the truth.

So I thought I'd compare it to the UK. Last Year, all deaths from work were 123. In the construction industry, it was 30. This is in a country that is 23 times bigger. And let's not forget that Qatar is one of the richest countries in the world. They can afford to make it safe. They can afford to provide world class medical care and proper supervision. They just don't give a shit.
We are, probably, all aware of the way Qatar deal with immigrant workers and LGBT people but how many people on here will boycot watching. Like the rest of the country I suspect most will still watch it. Remember watching the games gives the Qataris justification for selling advertising rights and TV companies will make lots of money from the same. Not watching is a way of hitting back but I doubt people will do it.

In the same way that all those journalists complaining about the lack of human rights in Qatar will still go for a freebie. Dan Roan will still go for a 40 freebie trip.

I see these paragons of virtue and lecturers on injustice, Sky Sports, are already going full steam ahead for Qatar 2022 with their ‘ World Cup Breakfast ‘ and ‘ World Cup Countdown ‘ programmes which last a combined 12 hours per day. In a country where there are basically no human rights.
But no doubt they’ll be going back to moralising us all come 21st December.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.