21 | Sergio Gomez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonez is work in progress atm and tbh not good enough to come straight in and be our left back but time will tell if he gets there . I still believe we will buy a left back in the sumner or maybe January .

Who has said he's the long awaited solution to the LB position? He's a kid doing whatever the club asks him to. What's criminal is you literally making shit up to suit your agenda.
He was brought in as our left back option this summer. His signing only surfaced after Cucurella fell through. Every second he’s played for us has been in the left back spot. Facts.

‘Making shit up’ ‘agenda’, are you his mum?

I think he is a talented player but like any new player, he will need support and patience from the fans, because mistakes happen.

Sergio Gomes is a strange one for me. We do desperately needed a full back this summer and with Zinchenko leaving I think we actually needed to sign two.

It was bizarre to see people in the transfer thread over the summer actually arguing that city didn’t need to sign defensive players when you consider the injury problems of so many of our back line.

Unfortunately Sergio stands out as being a level below all of our players. He had a very good game in the previous home game against Copenhagen but every other appearance he has been shaky. The lad has a great cross on him but defensively and in possession generally he stands out for me.

It reminds a bit of when we brought Angelino back and it was soon decided that he wasn’t good enough for us. Personally from what I’ve seen so far he doesn’t look as good a player as Angelino so I struggle to see his long term future being at the club.

That being said he is young, in a new country, and it is a huge step up for him. Hope we it works out but like Ferran Torres before him I just don’t see it.
Gomez is clearly a decent player with a good left foot but hes a few levels below the required level and I can't see him closing that gap.

'He's learning' 'be patient' 'Zinchenko was similar' 'give it a year'... excuses..excuses. he doesnt have what it takes to be a left back at City, he's an attacking midfielder, decent passer but lacks defensive instincts. Physically hes too small, one shoulder barge and hes taken out of the equation.

He will play in 'smaller' games, Carabao, FA Cup, Mid-Table PL games and come on late in some big matches if needed. Don't put high expectations on him, allow him to enjoy his one year intern at an elite club and bid him farewell at the end of the season.

Lad's still young. Mistakes happen. Even Foden was sent off once. So did Walker, for even dumber reasons.

The positives I saw from him (his technique, energy, crossing etc.) I like. Whereas the negatives with his defending, I have faith he can improve on them.

Right now we have Cancelo at LB, plus Ake/Laporte who can do a job there. We aren't entirely reliant on Gomez to become the best LB we have immediately. Give the lad time.

I think he is a talented player but like any new player, he will need support and patience from the fans, because mistakes happen.
So true - it's one thing playing left back for another team but in a Pep side it takes time.. It takes nearly all players time to understand positional marking with Pep's tactics - I don't see any reason why he will not become really decent for us he has good technique, nice control of his passing range and for a small guy a powerful shot. He will learn from last night and I bet he never gets caught out again.

Finally we all love how Cancelo plays and how important he is for us but we must remember he too had some moments early in his career with us when he was caught out of position as teams broke away and scored. Wouldn't swap him for any other fullback in the world now and whereas Sergio may never end up at that level I really believe he will turn out to be one of the most value for money signings of recent times (Erling aside!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.