21 | Sergio Gomez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chasing CL and PL ,we are in desperate need of a proper proven LB while Gomez can develop alongside. Ridiculously overdue duty to fix this problem.no way Gomez can be relied solely on. Hate this constant patching of this position. Now with some other critical positions need addressing, the job is more complex especially with the lack of WC LB .

I would like to see him play alongside Grealish on that leftside. I believe he would benefit from Grealish's defensive work rate. Might just be what he needs to settle in and learn the trade here.

Grealish works hard but is awful positionally in the defensive third. Gomez would benefit from just concentrating on playing it simple for a few games. He could be a handy attacking full back, but start with the basics. Ake just defends well and passes to a team mate and that's all we need from Gomez initially. Then get the confidence and familiarity to know when to push further forwards.

Grealish works hard but is awful positionally in the defensive third. Gomez would benefit from just concentrating on playing it simple for a few games. He could be a handy attacking full back, but start with the basics. Ake just defends well and passes to a team mate and that's all we need from Gomez initially. Then get the confidence and familiarity to know when to push further forwards.

Spot on,he needs to play in an orthodox 4 alongside a good centre back.

His instincts are not to defend,that is a new experience for him and because it doesnt come natural he will be our weak link whenever chosen and,just as the Saints did in the EFL,he will be targeted.

Another for a loan.

Spot on,he needs to play in an orthodox 4 alongside a good centre back.

His instincts are not to defend,that is a new experience for him and because it doesnt come natural he will be our weak link whenever chosen and,just as the Saints did in the EFL,he will be targeted.

Another for a loan.

I don't know what the long-term strategy should be for him. Ultimately Delph and Zin have done a job there as midfielders, although maybe with more natural attributes for that role. Gomez' is almost having to stifle that attacking instinct he has, which is a shame to be honest because in the final third he'd be excellent if given licence to get forwards. He obviously needs to work on the defensive side of the game, but his ability on the ball is there. He showed quick feet to keep the ball from Jorginho in the build-up to Foden's goal in the Cup. But then rushed a pass looking to bomb on against Southampton which led to their goal.

I'm not sure why Wilson-Esbrand hasn't been used more. He has a great pre-season and looked pretty capable in all areas of the pitch.

Personally think letting him get to the point of wanting to leave is one of the biggest fuck ups in recent years. He’s perfect for Pep and especially now with how he wants to play. Should’ve been tied down for longer, not allowed to leave.
You may have been an exception but Zinc was more widely admired for his heart than his footballing ability. He did a job for us - eventually - but few would claim he was an enterprise class full back. Nor was he good enough to command a midfield slot.

So to say it was “one of the biggest fuck ups in recent years” is plain hyperbole. Especially so as we got good money for him.

You may have been an exception but Zinc was more widely admired for his heart than his footballing ability. He did a job for us - eventually - but few would claim he was an enterprise class full back. Nor was he good enough to command a midfield slot.

So to say it was “one of the biggest fuck ups in recent years” is plain hyperbole. Especially so as we got good money for him.

My other posts will show I’m not particularly one for hyperbole so will have to agree to disagree on this.

It doesn’t help that the guy we played above Zinchenko is now craving a move away and sulking on the bench after being shit for months.

Gomez is poor and isn't good enough for West Ham let alone us.

Labeled the world's best team but still haven't had a proper LB since Kolorov. Ffs... Appalling that we've STILL not addressed this - although we did try with Mendy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.