24 | Joško Gvardiol - 2023/24

• Thread starter BrazilianGus
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a newish consumer of City-related media, this may be obvious to everyone but me, but has there been a recent player who has divided opinion so starkly? Obviously on here it’s either he’s terrible or awesome. Player ratings from the last game were either he is the worst of every player on the field (including Brentford) or one of the better ones. One rating will say he provided lots of offensive opportunities, the other will say he provided no offensive value. I listened to two City podcasts today. One was: he’s a failure, doesn’t get it, won’t/shouldn't play the rest of the season. The other praised him for his unique skill set, talked about his potential, mentioned how he’s getting better every game (obviously discussed how he’s not perfect but generally positive). Maybe Grealish was similar in terms of opinion?
His problem really is that people (still) don't understand Pep, and what Pep does, they think a LB or RB is only a defender, and a CB should play in the middle of defence. Pep thinks they should all be able to play anywhere in defence, and push into midfield as well, he does this with nearly all his defenders, it's part of learning football to Pep.

So for me...

He's generally good going forward.
He's less good defending out wide.
Pep wants him going forward, so he's bound to get caught up field, see Walker.
He likes to take a shot on (not so sure Pep is as keen on this aspect as I've seen him bollock him for it).

Pep is doing what he does with nearly all new young players (people forget he's younger than Phil, because he played in WC at 20), how many has he played in such a way as to come in from the left (or right) into midfield ?

I think Pep is playing him out of position to learn these aspects of the game, like others he won't become a master of them all, but he will learn more about what is good defensively. I think he'll eventually become a CB for us, but it might take a few seasons.

People are then polarized on defence or attack, so the ones who prefer defence tend to be on his back for his defending, the ones praising him are more into the attacking side of the game. The reality is, he both young, new, and learning a new way of playing, all at the same time, so there's bound to be some ups and downs.

As a newish consumer of City-related media, this may be obvious to everyone but me, but has there been a recent player who has divided opinion so starkly? Obviously on here it’s either he’s terrible or awesome. Player ratings from the last game were either he is the worst of every player on the field (including Brentford) or one of the better ones. One rating will say he provided lots of offensive opportunities, the other will say he provided no offensive value. I listened to two City podcasts today. One was: he’s a failure, doesn’t get it, won’t/shouldn't play the rest of the season. The other praised him for his unique skill set, talked about his potential, mentioned how he’s getting better every game (obviously discussed how he’s not perfect but generally positive). Maybe Grealish was similar in terms of opinion?
which podcasts?

youtube algorithms introduced me to some old guys doing city content, my god they can’t stand joško. according to them if pep doesn’t want ake at lb he should play doku (guy 1) or gomez (guy 2) there. and of course, that game would end 3:0 with gvardiol off the pitch.

according to them he contributes absolutely nothing either offensively or defensively and they can’t understand why pep plays him so their guess is contractual obligation.

city experts, does pep do those? and for a new signing who’s a kid from another league?

His problem really is that people (still) don't understand Pep, and what Pep does, they think a LB or RB is only a defender, and a CB should play in the middle of defence. Pep thinks they should all be able to play anywhere in defence, and push into midfield as well, he does this with nearly all his defenders, it's part of learning football to Pep.

So for me...

He's generally good going forward.
He's less good defending out wide.
Pep wants him going forward, so he's bound to get caught up field, see Walker.
He likes to take a shot on (not so sure Pep is as keen on this aspect as I've seen him bollock him for it).

Pep is doing what he does with nearly all new young players (people forget he's younger than Phil, because he played in WC at 20), how many has he played in such a way as to come in from the left (or right) into midfield ?

I think Pep is playing him out of position to learn these aspects of the game, like others he won't become a master of them all, but he will learn more about what is good defensively. I think he'll eventually become a CB for us, but it might take a few seasons.

People are then polarized on defence or attack, so the ones who prefer defence tend to be on his back for his defending, the ones praising him are more into the attacking side of the game. The reality is, he both young, new, and learning a new way of playing, all at the same time, so there's bound to be some ups and downs.
hmh this sounds like long term planning which would only make sense if pep’s planning to stay. and can potentially ruin gvardiol’s career cause we’re having flop narratives all the time, and we’ll never know how good or bad he would play as cb in his first year.
and i can’t think of many (any?) new to the league signings this season that are being played out of position.

everyone’s expecting pep will drop him completely soon. what if he doesn’t?
people assume pep will just switch back to the business end of last season settings. what if he doesn’t, what if chaos is new control?

for example, what if he wants more midfield control so he chooses rodri, kova and kdb, and then plays gvardiol as winger so foden can do his thing centrally?
corner flag to corner flag space for gvardiol to end up guilty of something.

hmh this sounds like long term planning which would only make sense if pep’s planning to stay. and can potentially ruin gvardiol’s career cause we’re having flop narratives all the time, and we’ll never know how good or bad he would play as cb in his first year.
and i can’t think of many (any?) new to the league signings this season that are being played out of position.

everyone’s expecting pep will drop him completely soon. what if he doesn’t?
people assume pep will just switch back to the business end of last season settings. what if he doesn’t, what if chaos is new control?

for example, what if he wants more midfield control so he chooses rodri, kova and kdb, and then plays gvardiol as winger so foden can do his thing centrally?
corner flag to corner flag space for gvardiol to end up guilty of something.
The thing is Pep is doing what Pep does, he's not doing it to ruin his career, he's doing it to educate him in football.

As for the bold bit, Pep does it with young players "new to the league", Zinchenko, Foden, Gomez, Gvardiol, Lewis, Bobb, Hamilton, all were or are "new to the league", he's also done it with players not "new to the league" like Stones, Walker, and Ake.

Simply, he regularly plays players in different positions than their so called regular position, it's not new, Pep just expects it.

The thing is Pep is doing what Pep does, he's not doing it to ruin his career, he's doing it to educate him in football.

As for the bold bit, Pep does it with young players "new to the league", Zinchenko, Foden, Gomez, Gvardiol, Lewis, Bobb, Hamilton, all were or are "new to the league", he's also done it with players not "new to the league" like Stones, Walker, and Ake.

Simply, he regularly plays players in different positions than their so called regular position, it's not new, Pep just expects it.
of course pep’s not doing it to ruin his career, i never said that.

and i get that he wants his players to be versatile. the amount of crap gvardiol’s getting is disgusting though.

and btw, i think you told me proper, true city fans don’t shit on city players, only fake people on twitter pretending to be city fans. if you still think so, then many posters on this forum are fake city fans.

I think he is going to be a great player and Pep will teach him many new skills but he cannot make him faster or more mobile. At left back we are wide open to fast attacks breaking into all the space on that side . Surely he and Ake just swop places.
I know Pep is experimenting with him and Walker as wide attacking full backs . Neither are much cop at delivering a cross.
Pep knows best !!! but how many of our challengers for the trophies are 'experimenting'...

and i get that he wants his players to be versatile. the amount of crap gvardiol’s getting is disgusting though.

and btw, i think you told me proper, true city fans don’t shit on city players, only fake people on twitter pretending to be city fans. if you still think so, then many posters on this forum are fake city fans.
They maybe not fake but they are know nowts!
Gvardiol will become even better under Pep no problem.

I didn't say that you did say that.

i think you told me proper, true city fans don’t shit on city players, only fake people on twitter pretending to be city fans. if you still think so, then many posters on this forum are fake city fans.
I think you read too much into what people post on here, it is OK to criticise aspects of his performances, some are quite one sided, if he has a good game they say nothing.

I think he is going to be a great player and Pep will teach him many new skills but he cannot make him faster or more mobile. At left back we are wide open to fast attacks breaking into all the space on that side . Surely he and Ake just swop places.
Pep did exactly the same with Ake, played him LB to start, look how good he has turned out, Ake isn't quick or particularly mobile, but you can learn to anticipate better.

He is going to be a great player for us, very few come here under Pep, and "get it" right from the start, not here a year yet, but plays nearly every game.

I didn't say that you did say that.

I think you read too much into what people post on here, it is OK to criticise aspects of his performances, some are quite one sided, if he has a good game they say nothing.

Pep did exactly the same with Ake, played him LB to start, look how good he has turned out, Ake isn't quick or particularly mobile, but you can learn to anticipate better.

He is going to be a great player for us, very few come here under Pep, and "get it" right from the start, not here a year yet, but plays nearly every game.
Your middle paragraph is spot on and why I tend to end up arguing with posters.
They are quick to give it out and will happily camp in a players thread who they perceive to be playing poorly but are gone in a flash when said player starts improving and has good games.

The worst type of fan out there imo and sadly we’ve a few.

Just wanted to say, it’s posts like this that make me really appreciate this forum. Lots of insightful bits to mull over and some historical perspective. More than we get from most journalists (even the City ones).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.