25 | Manuel Akanji - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked what I saw but there was a reason Dortmund wanted rid and the world wasn't biting their hand off, so I don't want to get too carried away until he's had 20 games or so.

I liked what I saw but there was a reason Dortmund wanted rid and the world wasn't biting their hand off, so I don't want to get too carried away until he's had 20 games or so.
Dortmund had 2 other quality CBs and Akanji had a year left so it was a no brainer for them to sell. Why no one else made a move I don't know. Maybe other clubs though they only wanted the best available and if Akanji was 3rd best at Dortmund then he wasn't good enough. That is a pretty narrow view. He looks great so far.

I agree to an extent but Dortmund wanted rid because he was running down his contract and they're not a club who can pass up £15m as well as paying his wages for a year when they've already got decent options in that position.

On top of that, I doubt many clubs who could afford his wages were in need of a decent centre back.

But yeah, I agree people shouldn't be getting carried away just yet.

Didn't know his English was so good. We have a thin squad but at CB we are awash with talent, I dont see Ake getting much game time is the only negative.

I think Akanji is Ake’s replacement. After him nearly leaving in the summer, it’s probably known by all parties that he’ll again be looking to move on at the end of the season, or maybe even in Jan if our injuries clear and we’re happy to let go mid-season. But with our current injury concerns at CB, we decided to just get Akanji now instead of on a free next summer. So yeah, Ake will have less minutes but if he’s off, he can’t complain that the club makes moves in the market.

My understanding is he went from their clear first choice CB last season (he’s the defender with the most appearances last year) to refusing the sign the new deal Dortmund were offering him.

It wasn’t that they ‘wanted rid’, it’s that they knew he’d leave for nothing at the end of the season - which is pretty much unconscionable given Dortmund’s business model.

Consequently they replaced him with Sule and Schlotterbeck - players who actually wanted to be there - and refused to play him this season.

As to why the world wasn’t biting their hand off - there could be any number of reasons. It’s pointless speculating as none of us know - but I definitely don’t think this was a case of Dortmund wanting him out for any reason other than his refusal to extend his contract.

They clearly wanted to keep him, but the player decided he wanted a fresh challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.